Looking for a lightweight rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a triton and now have a sidewinder. the triton was by far easier to manage in terms of weight, setup, portability etc. in the water through narrower stuff, for me, the sidewinder is better. I miss the triton when walking into a cave/mine :)

Tagged for curiosity, and to learn.

Id just rec dive until I felt better. My knees are toast, so these threads fascinate me. But I can still lift double hp100's no problem. Something has got to give with a broken back. For sure I'd toss the camera.

Sidemount rebreather and a bailout side mount tank?
Tiny single tank rig and a Choptima?
Fathom with al30's?

Hopefully one of the new chesties is a needle valve mccr. Fathom did just release a side mount rig. That might be perfect for you.

I had a triton and now have a sidewinder. the triton was by far easier to manage in terms of weight, setup, portability etc. in the water through narrower stuff, for me, the sidewinder is better. I miss the triton when walking into a cave/mine :)
Did the triton also have some cons to you? Things you would like to see different?
And What unit trims out the best for you?
I do prefer an eCCR, but its not like a dealbreaker if it isnt.

Did the triton also have some cons to you? Things you would like to see different?

Normally i make all my dives with a camera. But it's heavy on land, especially in combination with doubles.
If dropping the camera is what it takes so be it (although that would suck)

In The Netherlands the salt water diving spots almost always include dyke's, which would become a problem. Normally i prefer BM, but SM gives me the option to walk 2 small bottles to the water with my buddy (my GF). After that i can just walk over the dyke with just the harness instead of heavy doubles.

Diving from a boat would possibly still doable with a light BM set. Walking long distances is a no go for the future i think.

I dont know a lot about usa bottle sizes, in Europe we use different names. But i used to dive in Europe with double 12 liter steel (in Mexico i used double 80cuff BM).
With SM i'm thinking about two 8,5 liter steel tanks(they are about 25% smaller than a cuff80).
That would give me enough gas for most of my dives. Adding a chestmount ccr and a 50% o2 would give me enough gas for easy going tech dives.
My idea was first to start SM with small bottles, if that goes well for a while I add the rebreather later. Or that's the idea up till now.

I wonder about the SM rebreather, it seems less comfertable. Trim wise (gas moving to the side) and WOB. Never tried one, so if people have some input on that that would be nice.

Did you change something in your diving style or your gear after you got knee problems?

That's another CM that's maturing.
Maturing seems to be a stretch and its growth might be hindered by the personnel, but I’m all for more innovation attempts in the market and the solid state sensors would be appealing.

IQ sub is releasing something, it was first shown last month in Dusseldorf.
I believe there's going to be a Czech chest mount unit too, possibly divesoft.
A CM divesoft would have my interest. If its compact, light and well build.
I prefer shearwater electronics, but a Divesoft rebreather would be more convenient for Europe based divers.

that's probably worth another thread :)
  • I hated the po2 monitor - it has one button and needs to be recharged regularly. hardwired shearwater however, was great.
  • flood recovery not great, but there is at least a way of getting water out of it
  • i didn't like the chest clutter, never was really comfortble with how it got in the way of d rings etc. and made some methods of carrying stages harder as i couldn't reach diagonally down across to opposite hip/waist...but all CM units will have that.
  • going through low stuff was awkward as i'd have to unclip the unit (4 bolt snaps), hold it in front and then reclip after the restriction. tbh i didn't do body-height restrictions very often.
two other things to note that's a positive for the triton:
  • the wob, for me it was fantastic in any orientation and better than the sw (though the sw is no slouch in most body positions)
  • super easy to switch between bm or sm (bm was a bit easier on wobbly boats :) )

Both good. the triton was actually easier in the end as I find the sw makes me a tiny bit tail heavy

i've never dived an eccr except on try dives, so can't really offer a good opinion.

Breakdown of Triton - I was actually looking around as was interested to see where the heck they have fitted the scrubber and the head on that thing...perhaps will be of some use.

I would love to see both side by side kitted up...seems Choppy is a bit flatter but longer, while Triton fatter, but shorter. On Choppy o2 cylinder kinda hangs below the waist, while on Triton, from what I gather from pictures, is a bit higher (on a normal sized person, not NBA player).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom