New Halcyon Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume its something like this......
In fact it kinda seems similar to a dolphin...
That is exactly what I was thinking! Or a LAR V.
This (should) massively improve the work of breathing (WOB) which is the effort required to suck gas through the scrubber. This gets quite important the deeper you go as the gas is more dense.
Years ago, I had thought about modifying a LAR V as a chest mounted bailout CCR (or a Draeger Dolphin more likely). Problems I came up with:
1- I had no use for a bailout CCR.
2- "Bailout CCR" isn't really a thing, it's just a dual CCR since you can't just ignore it and hope it works when you need it.
3- the WOB on a LAR V is apparently complete garbage deeper than the 20 feet they are supposed to operate at. I don't know if it was the scrubber or the general design, or even if it was true. I only played around with one in a pool a few times.

I still think this is a super weird direction for Halcyon to go in, given its ties to GUE, and GUE's historical reluctance to embrace rapid change. Especially to jump right into SS sensors, wireless transmitters, wireless connectivity to scooters (??).

Waiting for the April 1 update...

Definitely reminds me of the LAR scrubber. I do wonder if the LAR WOB (which is my only RB experience so far) is due to having only one fairly small counterlung rather than the scrubber?

Could this Halcyon actually be a collaboration between the two companies since Draeger hasn't had much success in the civilian realm?

Back
Top Bottom