2024: view for primary/backup torches, and dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using rechargeable back up lights since I started cave diving.

I charge my lights twice a year, and they are at about 80% on the lights on my rig that I test weekly and about 90% on the light that sit in my bin in case one of my rig lights break. So IMO if you keep the same six months to a year charging period that is recommended for alkaline replacement you are fine.
I'm actually surprised that people use half a year as a cycle to change backup batteries. Is that only for consideration regarding the lifespan of alkaline battery? To me it sounds like in order to ensure maximum safety you shall just change them everytime after use?

Folks, I just realized that the op, @L2m, is in China. While LM, Halcyon, Diverite, and the likes are popular in NA market, if I lived in China, I'd be OrcaTorch or XTRA or something local. It is simple - like it or not, a lot of our gear comes from South East Asia.
thanks mate but I currently live and dive in UK haha, and yeah... back in China 50% guys in my local club has a fancy focus 2.0 that shines like a lightsaber underwater. that said, I'm surprised to find a HUGE market coverage of orcatorch in the UK, despite I personally find their marketing a little too "extensive".

I'm actually surprised that people use half a year as a cycle to change backup batteries. Is that only for consideration regarding the lifespan of alkaline battery? To me it sounds like in order to ensure maximum safety you shall just change them everytime after use?

I used to charge every time, but I noticed I was doing all that work for a few mah of charge. The self discharge rate just isn't that high.

It extended it out, until I figured twice a year is fine. I combine it with my twice yearly MX cycles. Testing the batteries for overall capacity at the first of the year, recycling any that are less than 90% of the rated capacity.

thanks mate but I currently live and dive in UK haha, and yeah... back in China 50% guys in my local club has a fancy focus 2.0 that shines like a lightsaber underwater. that said, I'm surprised to find a HUGE market coverage of orcatorch in the UK, despite I personally find their marketing a little too "extensive".
Have you considered Gralmarine, Ammonite, or TecLine? In the US, brands like Halcyon, DiveRite, and Light Monkey dominate due to better service and warranty options. European brands aren’t as represented here.

Most cheap lights, made in China or Southeast Asia, are marked up due to shipping and distribution costs. The key difference is service: DiveRite, for example, replaces faulty lights quickly, while cheaper brands may leave you waiting for days. Treat cheap lights as disposable.

Brands like Halcyon Scout, Heser, and Light Monkey offer durable backup light options with spare parts and upgrades, running on easy-to-find alkaline batteries. Switch quality is what separates premium from budget lights. In demanding environments, a reliable switch is critical—button switches on backups can turn on accidentally, which is why some divers avoid them. Twist on switches may fail too - my DiveRite BX2 turned on in a cave by accident - but Halcyon, Heser, and LM seem to have durable twist switches and that's why I prefer those brands.

You should change your backup light battery out anytime you use it if it uses disposable batteries. If it is rechargeable, you should recharge it after you use it. I also replace my disposable batteries once or twice a year, depending (alkaline get twice a year, lithium once).

You should never use your backup light, unless your primary light has died. It is a backup light not a primary light. If you are using your backup light on every dive you are in need of a new primary light.

You should change your backup light battery out anytime you use it if it uses disposable batteries. If it is rechargeable, you should recharge it after you use it. I also replace my disposable batteries once or twice a year, depending (alkaline get twice a year, lithium once).

You should never use your backup light, unless your primary light has died. It is a backup light not a primary light. If you are using your backup light on every dive you are in need of a new primary light.
I see, that makes sense

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom