2024: view for primary/backup torches, and dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~80% ocean / ~20% fresh.

The switch (see image below) that you're referring to, a piece of Delrin containing a magnet (which activates the Hall effect sensor - light on/off), is a consumable and called out as such; most folks who I know carry spares; a simple rinsing and occasional cleaning with a toothbrush will abate most oxidization of the magnet caused by saltwater. TL;DR - it's NBD, like at all.

View attachment 859758
Halcyon recently released a v2 of the switch that's supposed to address the issues that have come up; I'm waiting for mine to deliver and can provide feedback once it's arrived. My experience has been that the light had problems sometimes turning on to full power, due to magnet strength/alignment/corrosion. I'm told the v2 switch (part number 20.001.338) should address these small, lingering problems (and yes, I've usually kept spares.)

I'm a fan of Halcyon, but I have to admit that several of my dive buddies with the Focus 2.0 have experienced issues (sample size 4-5). Not sure, but I think some are related to the cord and some to the switch. One had a faulty battery or something.

That said I absolutely love the light they give underwater. I also tried the Flare handheld, and it's easily the best cordless light I've ever tried.

orca torch, orca torch

42 P1010201 (1) (2).JPG

orca torch

BFK on waist belt

110 053a (1).JPG

leveraged myself against some wicked current, even done some mining

I am big fan of TillyTec. However not sure if thats an option for outside German area (or closeby like austria switzerland and so on).

these are ridiculously cheap and ok to 60m i use them for general wear as well as caves
Ive had some cheap chinese ones that have lasted about 6 dives and others that have been to 125m without issues - Nemo torches have lasted me a long time - I have a big blue LED as my primary and has done hundreds of dives, worn out 2 goodman gloves and still goes great

I’ve personally had more issues with non-halcyon lights I’ve had both of my light monkeys burn out a led, and a Hollis canister light.

My wife and I have got a few focus and flares and they’ve been on lots of dives without issue

I suspect there was a higher failure rate with the early focus 2s that they’ve corrected, but that is pure speculation on my part

I use to have rechargeable lights for my backup but unless you commit to charging them on a regular basis they’re not going to be ready when you need them because of self discharge. A simple c cell battery light just sits there on your harness waiting until you need it with the occasional test fire.

I've been using rechargeable back up lights since I started cave diving.

I charge my lights twice a year, and they are at about 80% on the lights on my rig that I test weekly and about 90% on the light that sit in my bin in case one of my rig lights break. So IMO if you keep the same six months to a year charging period that is recommended for alkaline replacement you are fine.

Ammonite backup torches FTW. Strong. Reliable. Just work. No maintenance required. Permanently fixed to a harness. Twist/screw on to turn on/off. Ribbed for extra grip.

The left-hand one has done 700 dives flawlessly.

View attachment 859806

Yeah not so sure I could carry around something that looks like it came out of my wifes drawer instead of mine

DR HP50 for primary and Halcyon Scouts (C cell alkaline) port and starboard for back ups.

As far as a cutting device - DGX titanium knife on waistbelt left of crotch strap and a DR cutting device on my Perdix bands.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom