New Halcyon Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what a CO2 hit does to impact using the BOV. When you switch the BOV to OC, it closes off and seals the loop so any CO2 in there is out of the picture. The mushroom valves could have flown the coop entirely and the BOV in OC mode is going to work just fine.

That said, my Hollis BOV on my KISS has a piece of crap unbalanced 2nd stage. It's perfectly fine to quickly get off the loop. If I had to stay off the loop for an extended period, I would switch to my S600 strapped to the offboard dil/bailout.
If Your mushroom valve on your exhale side takes a dump then you’re rebreathing the gas with CO2 you just exhaled in addition to whatever gas comes down the inhale side from your BOV. The BOV in this case isn’t on the mouthpiece in the typical fashion meaning that when you bail out you’re going to the configuration of an old double hose reg, except instead of being behind your head it’s on your chest. The mushroom valves won’t be isolated like they are with a shrimp or dive soft.

If Your mushroom valve on your exhale side takes a dump then you’re rebreathing the gas with CO2 you just exhaled in addition to whatever gas comes down the inhale side from your BOV. The BOV in this case isn’t on the mouthpiece in the typical fashion meaning that when you bail out you’re going to the configuration of an old double hose reg, except instead of being behind your head it’s on your chest. The mushroom valves won’t be isolated like they are with a shrimp or dive soft.
I wonder if the smaller exhale lung, somehow helps reduce this risk. The BOV exhale gas has to vent externally somewhere right?

Anyway CHalcyMa is a better name

I did like Michael Menduno's review in InDepth, not afraid to bite the hand that feeds him. :)

Can you share the link? I can't find it.
thanks
as above

Sneak Preview: Halcyon Symbios Chest Mount and KISS Sidewinder 2

Update on the Revolutionary Symbios™ Ecosystem​

We acknowledge your interest in our innovative system and appreciate the overwhelming response received. Notably, we observed recurring themes amidst the queries raised. Although we might not have addressed every single question, we made an effort to answer those frequently asked. We are pleased to provide an overview of Halcyon's latest innovation in the diving industry - the Symbios™ Ecosystem.

The Symbios™ Ecosystem is an evolving suite of interconnected dive equipment, working seamlessly to enhance your diving experience. One prominent member of this ecosystem is the Symbios™ CM CCR (Chest-Mount, Closed-Circuit Rebreather), a cutting-edge rebreather system that exemplifies innovation and integration within this holistic platform.

Complementing the Symbios™ CM CCR are two, feature-rich, TRIMIX-enabled computers, operating in either open circuit or CCR mode. The Symbios™ Handset and the Symbios™ HUD (Heads-Up Display) both communicate wirelessly with a pressure transmitter or the Symbios CM CCR, providing divers with unparalleled freedom and performance. It can also work with other CCR units, as well as read out GPS data from buoys and DPV battery status. The Symbios™ will continue expanding connected products, further revolutionizing diving technology and the performance-driven approach that has typified Halcyon for more than two decades.
19eb55c0-e6c1-6d1a-4cc1-27edd2078fff.jpg

Comprehensive Training and Accessibility​

• The Symbios™ CM CCR will be supported by a broad spectrum of training programs across multiple reputable agencies, ensuring divers receive comprehensive instruction from Halcyon-approved instructors.
  • Our competitive pricing strategy is designed to make advanced CCR technology accessible without compromising quality or performance.

Technical Specifications and Versatility​

• The Symbios™ CCR supports both Trimix, Nitrox, and air diluent gases, making it suitable for a wide range of diving applications, from relaxing dives to technical expeditions. The unit itself is extremely lightweight (7kg / 15.4lbs) which will make it the unit of choice for traveling.
  • A modular design approach provides the option to purchase a dedicated O2 rebreather, with easy upgrade to mCCR or eCCR. This modular approach offers tremendous flexibility.
  • The unit features a 2.5kg / 5.5lbs oval, axial scrubber, ensuring a tiny package with outsized diving performance up to 100 m.
  • The patent-pending, bailout regulator doubles as an Automatic Diluent Valve (ADV) and is nestled in the chest of the unit. This unique design is an ergonomic alternative to a bulky BOV while still providing quick access to bailout through a simple, intuitive design.
  • A Manual Addition Valve (MAV) can be attached to the port of the O2 first stage.
  • Completion of the CE certification is anticipated in the third quarter of 2024.

Scalability and Ecosystem Integration​

• The Symbios™ CCR is designed to evolve with divers' needs, offering scalability from casual dives to advanced, redundant CCR systems.
  • As a bailout rebreather, it can integrate with Halcyon's RB80, RBK, and a forthcoming RB hybrid unit, further enhancing Halcyon’s Symbios™ ecosystem.

Innovative Features and Market Differentiation​

The Symbios™ CCR introduces several groundbreaking features that distinguish it in the market:
  • Wireless data transmission provides real-time rebreather monitoring without the hassle of cables that can be damaged or entangled.
  • An integrated, patent-pending, open-circuit bailout system enhances safety and reliability while greatly improving the overall diving experience by reducing mouthpiece weight and preserving quick access to open-circuit bailout supplies.
  • Its compact design achieves remarkable portability, with a width of only 12 cm/4.7 inch and a fully rigged weight of only 10.5 kg or just over 23 lbs.
  • Compatibility with a mix of conventional analog and proprietary digital O2 cells with operational lifespans to five years.
  • A small, lightweight Dive Surface Valve (DSV) enhances an already compact and efficient design.

Rationale Behind Innovation​

The Symbios™ CM CCR combines amazing performance, rugged simplicity, and pioneering innovation. Our goal was to create a system that not only meets the current needs of divers but also anticipates future advancements in diving technology and practices.

The emphasis on wireless technology and modular design reflects our vision for a future where divers can easily customize and upgrade their equipment, ensuring longevity and adaptability in a rapidly evolving sport. The Symbios™ CCR represents Halcyon's commitment to pushing the boundaries of diving technology, making advanced diving more accessible, safer, and more enjoyable.

We appreciate your interest in Halcyon's advancements and look forward to delivering a product that sets a new standard in diving safety, performance, and innovation. Keep an eye out for updates regarding the progression of the Symbios™ Ecosystem. We'll be sharing insightful data and facts as the development continues.

ReplyForward

Somebody get that writer a Grammerly subscription! It's like a caricature of a Fortune 500 press release. Press release as satire!

You're writing to divers: just write normally. No one's going to buy your unit just because you wrote in passive voice third-person with as many $5 adverbs as you could wedge in there.

Sorry, had to rant. Feeling a tiny bit better now... :)

The thing that struck me the most is how must things are in future tense: 'the Symbios will connect with...' or 'our training network will be...' It sounds like we're still a good bit away with a lot of these items.

One of the few things in present-tense is supposedly the price: "Our competitive pricing strategy is designed..." Do we *have* a price for this thing?

I'm not a rebreather driver yet, but my interest has been most heightened by chest-mounted devices. So I'm pretty excited about the possibility of a bit of competition in that space. It feels like we're still a bit far away from that actually happening just yet...

But full marks to Halcyon: they don't seem to just building another rebreather. The use of wireless communication and solid-state O2 sensors from the beginning is certainly aggressive. I'm just not sure I want my rebreather to be aggressive... and I'm pretty certain *I* don't want to be the one at the leading edge of that aggressiveness. But I am truly grateful to those of you who do! :)

ETA: On second read, I noticed the mention of an oval axial scrubber. I find that interesting. My understanding is that the scrubber would be used up in a cylindrical area pushing out from the center, and that you can only use it as long as there is no path of exhausted scrubber for the gas to go through. It would seem that given those two things, the scrubber in the oval part of the canister would likely end up being consistently unused. I'm also aware that gas flow isn't exactly like laserbeams (or frictionless spheres... :) ) and that in practice it might not be as clear-cut. I certainly understand the value that reducing thickness has for any rebreather, but particularly for a chest-mounted one. I'm wondering what those of you with expertise might say about scrubber utilization in an oval canister?

ETA: On second read, I noticed the mention of an oval axial scrubber. I find that interesting. My understanding is that the scrubber would be used up in a cylindrical area pushing out from the center, and that you can only use it as long as there is no path of exhausted scrubber for the gas to go through. It would seem that given those two things, the scrubber in the oval part of the canister would likely end up being consistently unused. I'm also aware that gas flow isn't exactly like laserbeams (or frictionless spheres... :) ) and that in practice it might not be as clear-cut. I certainly understand the value that reducing thickness has for any rebreather, but particularly for a chest-mounted one. I'm wondering what those of you with expertise might say about scrubber utilization in an oval canister?

I assume its something like this......
In fact it kinda seems similar to a dolphin...

Attachments

• 20240315_194138.jpg
    20240315_194138.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 42
On second read, I noticed the mention of an oval axial scrubber. I find that interesting. My understanding is that the scrubber would be used up in a cylindrical area pushing out from the center, and that you can only use it as long as there is no path of exhausted scrubber for the gas to go through. It would seem that given those two things, the scrubber in the oval part of the canister would likely end up being consistently unused.
Thus far most rebreathers have a cylindrical scrubber that is taller than the diameter. Flow is from bottom to top (a.k.a. Axial) or up a tube in the middle and through the scrubber to the outside (a.k.a. Radial, from the hub to the rim).

Interestingly the newly announced Halcyon and "Sidewinder 2" both have scrubber canisters that route the gas across an oblong or oval shape, e.g. with a shorter gas path but with a much larger surface area. This (should) massively improve the work of breathing (WOB) which is the effort required to suck gas through the scrubber. This gets quite important the deeper you go as the gas is more dense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom