Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone would have to take responsibility for maintaining the list and ensuring it was correct. There would need to be a process for submitting the serial numbers of stolen computers, including verification that the serial numbers were valid and the computers were actually stolen....this would probably need to involve the police. If a serial number got on the list that was from a computer that wasn't stolen and somebody tried to sell it, who would shoulder the blame for the mistake ?

Maintaining databases sounds easy until you have to ensure that the records are complete and error free, with significant consequences if they're not.

When I had my shearwater computer repaired, it was assigned a new serial number.

Our LDS was informed of these dive computer fraudulent purchases in early December. The information was communicated from one of the Sales Rep. Nothing specific, just a note to keep any eye out on new customers making multiple dive computer purchases, primarily Garmin and Shearwater, as a number of stores have had fraudulent purchases. My LDS is not even a Garmin or Shearwater dealer and they received the warning about a month ago.

When I had my shearwater computer repaired, it was assigned a new serial number.
I have had 4 serial numbers for my Teric, and will have my 5th today, when my replacement arrives. I have had 2 repairs and 3 replacements. The last repair replaced the circuit board and antenna, and had a new serial number, just like a replacement. Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service? Each time, I add the new computer to the Shearwater Clould and delete the old one when I have a new serial number. The Shearwater Cloud always knows what Teric I'm using, even before I upgrade the firmware. The log is completely uninterrupted, I just start the new computer on the dive number where the old one left off.

I’m guessing that each PCB (printed circuit board) is unique. So you really have a “new” computer.

No reporting required. Serial number is acquired digitally and reported digitally. Not a difficult system to implement.
Fair enough, but how do Shearwater or whoever else maintains the list know that the digitally acquired serial number comes from a stolen computer.....if everything is done through the existing update system.

I’m guessing that each PCB (printed circuit board) is unique. So you really have a “new” computer.

Who cares? My only point in mentioning that is nobody is going to be able to trace shearwater serial numbers. Erroniously accusing people of stealing things also comes with a non zero percent chance of legal exposure.

Who cares? My only point in mentioning that is nobody is going to be able to trace shearwater serial numbers. Erroniously accusing people of stealing things also comes with a non zero percent chance of legal exposure.
My Perdix was stolen. I'd love to have the chance to accuse someone, and would accept the risk that goes with it.

...is nobody is going to be able to trace shearwater serial numbers.

If you register the device as stolen with Shearwater this is not hard to do. It's quite trivial. But relax, it's never going to happen anyway. This is all a lot of bickering on a silly forum.

Here’s an example of how the skydiving community tracks stolen gear.

Thanks. I can see it without logging in, which is very desirable IMO.

We have a very good search function in this new upgrade so I'm thinking a structured form or database is not required. We also already have a Lost, Found & Stolen forum.

A useful solution "might" be as simple as replacing the Intro/Welcome thread with one that includes the following information:
  1. Ask individuals and companies to post stolen product serial numbers in Reply posts, plus related info.
  2. Illustrate with simple step-by-step procedures how to search for stolen serial numbers for the used product(s) they are contemplating purchasing
  3. Include tips for buying online like using safer payment methods, avoiding "too good to be true" deals, etc.
  4. Encourage readers to fill out the paperwork for stolen gear at their local police station.
  5. Suggest reporting offers to sell stolen dive gear to the authority with jurisdiction.
  6. Remind divers to record serial numbers.
Links to this could be added to relevant locations in Classifieds forums. Anyone could find this information, even if they have never heard of ScubaBoard, thanks to search engines like Google and Bing.

The main problem is getting the word out that this "tool" exists and educate divers to insist on getting a serial number before purchasing used serialized products. This is the time to poke holes in the concept before implementing something that is broken from the start.

That is an interesting idea but I'm thinking of a longer term solution. What do you think of creating a sticky for serial numbers of all stolen and lost products? We then advise sellers to include SNs and buyers to request them before purchasing.

Moderators could add them to the OP as replies pile up. This isn't fully thought out so please poke holes so we optimize the approach.
This is beginning to sound like national bike registry. When you purchased a new bike you registered your bike in the registry via the S/N and description of the bike. Proof of ownership was required at registry. If your bike was stolen, you told the registry. Many industry professionals run numbers on bicycles as they move through shops, auctions, etc - especially if they don't know the owner. As far as I know, this is the single list everyone uses. That's probably the most point - one list that's universally used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom