Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought an older shearwater not that long ago, didn't even think to check the serial#
I am sure it's fine, but unless you know about a problem I doubt your are going to check a data base,

All a shop would have to do with these clowns is ask for a dive certification card. If you know somebody is a scammer just make up a BS excuse that you can only sell dive computers to certified divers, sorry.
You know none of these guys is certified or knows the first thing about scuba diving.
They leave and that’s the end of it.

So, it does seem like stores with stolen Shearwater computers should report the serial numbers to Shearwater, in case the computer is later returned for service.

I'm still not sure why there could not be a repository for stolen computer/transmitter serial numbers to check against when buying from a private party. Failure to supply the serial number before a transaction might be suspicious. Why would legal owner not supply this?
Someone would have to take responsibility for maintaining the list and ensuring it was correct. There would need to be a process for submitting the serial numbers of stolen computers, including verification that the serial numbers were valid and the computers were actually stolen....this would probably need to involve the police. If a serial number got on the list that was from a computer that wasn't stolen and somebody tried to sell it, who would shoulder the blame for the mistake ?

Maintaining databases sounds easy until you have to ensure that the records are complete and error free, with significant consequences if they're not.

Someone would have to take responsibility for maintaining the list and ensuring it was correct. There would need to be a process for submitting the serial numbers of stolen computers, including verification that the serial numbers were valid and the computers were actually stolen....this would probably need to involve the police. If a serial number got on the list that was from a computer that wasn't stolen and somebody tried to sell it, who would shoulder the blame for the mistake ?

Maintaining databases sounds easy until you have to ensure that the records are complete and error free, with significant consequences if they're not.

Actually becoming much easier these days. Try stealing a Tesla. Or an iPhone. I remember when LoJack was a big deal.

The owner has the DC’s serial number on their computer after they do their first software update. If stolen, all they have to is report it stolen to Shearwater who can disable it when the next update is done.

The owner has the DC’s serial number on their computer after they do their first software update. If stolen, all they have to is report it stolen to Shearwater who can disable it when the next update is done.
Provided everything is reported correctly and Shearwater don't end up disabling a legitimate owner's computer.

Here’s an example of how the skydiving community tracks stolen gear. Might need to create an account on Dropzone.com to view the link. It’s got a reporting function, and you can either browse by category or search serial numbers to check if an item is stolen. Most riggers check this and manufacturer databases when they see gear for the first time.

Figured this might help avoid reinventing parts of the wheel. Or not.

Lance

All a shop would have to do with these clowns is ask for a dive certification card. If you know somebody is a scammer just make up a BS excuse that you can only sell dive computers to certified divers, sorry.
You know none of these guys is certified or knows the first thing about scuba diving.
They leave and that’s the end of it.
The other shop in Madison that was hit asked why he needed so many computers, he said he was not I diver but his dad worked for a dive team. Luckily the shop owner new it was a scam as soon as he ask to buy all his computer and did not ask a price.

Provided everything is reported correctly and Shearwater don't end up disabling a legitimate owner's computer.
No reporting required. Serial number is acquired digitally and reported digitally. Not a difficult system to implement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom