Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computers and transmitters are then likely resold on eBay and FB Marketplace. How many posts here have we seen for "new, never used" Shearwaters? It's only been Shearwater/Garmin computers and transmitters reported stolen, until we heard yesterday about the Madison marina hit for $10K in fish finders.

Shearwater's end use consumer customer service and that to their dealers are apparently two different things. Going to dig up screen shots from the Madison, WI shop manager's communications with Shearwater. She posted them to FB herself yesterday.

@scubadada

Please let your dive shops know about this, rather than just posting here wondering what an odd crime it is!

Screen shots of Madison, WI shop communications with Shearwater.
E9FEC2C2-7875-4D33-BD01-13858B401516.jpeg
401C549E-1D31-42B8-A42C-B4C2E4C567B8.png
938E8D02-FEAF-4EAC-8B9C-3BB3ADCA6F46.jpeg

Where are the stolen cc and ID coming from?

No idea. The ID are fake - made up with photo of scammer to match name on cc, from what I've been told.

The whole thing is starting to smell of “anti shearwater” I don’t know how they (sw) treat their dealers but I do know how the treat their end users and they top the field in customer service.

The whole thing is starting to smell of “anti shearwater” I don’t know how they (sw) treat their dealers but I do know how the treat their end users and they top the field in customer service.

Dude, I love Shearwater. I've had nothing but excellent service (when I had to deal with them due to yellow transmitter recall a few years back). I'm shocked as hell about their meh response with this. I would have thought they treated their dealers as well as the end use customers.

Dude, I love Shearwater. I've had nothing but excellent service (when I had to deal with them due to yellow transmitter recall a few years back). I'm shocked as hell about their meh response with this. I would have thought they treated their dealers as well as the end use customers.
Didn’t mean you but some of those pasted complaints are a bit negative beyond reason. I bought a car a few months ago, the dealer praised the wheel locks they were charging me for, he did admit I was right when I pointed out that they were more protection for him on his lot than for me, the manufacturer of the car isn’t responsible for theft on the lot, there are a lot of safeguards in place for cc’s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom