Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been corresponding this week with Shearwater about Teric battery issues. Something they just sent me was very surprising to me. They said:

To be honest, that's not just surprising. That is shocking, to me. I cannot fathom why a Teric would have additional battery draw when turned Off, based on having the compass or AI turned on for use in Dive mode.
That's really weird... I can't imagine why/how it would be consuming power when "off" unless "off" isn't really off. Regardless, I keep AI and compass on when I turn mine off and after battery replacement I am losing about 2% per week when off.

That's really weird... I can't imagine why/how it would be consuming power when "off" unless "off" isn't really off. Regardless, I keep AI and compass on when I turn mine off and after battery replacement I am losing about 2% per week when off.

Off is definitely not OFF. If Off were really off, then the computer would not be able to turn on automatically when you splash. It has to stay "on enough" to monitor the pressure sensor and detect when you have jumped in the water.

I say that based on believing that that is how it works. I think a different design *could* use some mechanical system for having water pressure close a switch that turns it on. Or maybe an electrical system where water closes a circuit that turns it on. But, I think those systems have proven inferior in the real world and I am pretty sure the Shearwaters all use monitoring of the pressure transducer to know when to turn on.

That also allows the computer to know what the ambient air pressure was before you splashed, which allows it to compensate for elevation, even if you splash with the computer turned "off".

Off is definitely not OFF. If Off were really off, then the computer would not be able to turn on automatically when you splash. It has to stay "on enough" to monitor the pressure sensor and detect when you have jumped in the water.

I say that based on believing that that is how it works. I think a different design *could* use some mechanical system for having water pressure close a switch that turns it on. Or maybe an electrical system where water closes a circuit that turns it on. But, I think those systems have proven inferior in the real world and I am pretty sure the Shearwaters all use monitoring of the pressure transducer to know when to turn on.

That also allows the computer to know what the ambient air pressure was before you splashed, which allows it to compensate for elevation, even if you splash with the computer turned "off".
Maybe a better choice of words would have been "off enough".. :)

I have not been on this thread since October, in fact, nobody else has either. Unfortunately, my string of bad luck with Terics has continued. My most recent Teric has a bad battery, losing 5-6% of charge per day with AI and compass off. It is being replaced, I'm told, including a new/different battery. As has been the case previously, service by Michele and Richard Morton at Dive-Tronix, has been exemplary.

I bought my first Teric in May 2019. In Oct 2019, after 100 dives, the screen failed, and the computer was repaired. After just 3 dives, the AI failed, thought due to the antenna, and the computer was replaced. I dived this Teric on 115 dives between Nov 2019 and May 2021 before the battery failed and the computer was replaced. I did 57 dives on this computer when the AI failed in Sept 2021, again, thought due to the antenna. The computer was repaired, and I did 59 dives, before the current battery failure.

So, over about 2 1/2 years and 334 dives, I have had one screen failure, two loss of AI, and two battery failures. About a year and a half ago, I started a thread/poll regarding specific reasons for seeking repair or replacement, it never caught on Specific reasons(s) for sending in your Teric for repair(s) and/or replacement I really love the Teric, when it is working. I'm hoping that this time will be the charm.

I have not been on this thread since October, in fact, nobody else has either. Unfortunately, my string of bad luck with Terics has continued. My most recent Teric has a bad battery, losing 5-6% of charge per day with AI and compass off. It is being replaced, I'm told, including a new/different battery. As has been the case previously, service by Michele and Richard Morton at Dive-Tronix, has been exemplary.

I bought my first Teric in May 2019. In Oct 2019, after 100 dives, the screen failed, and the computer was repaired. After just 3 dives, the AI failed, thought due to the antenna, and the computer was replaced. I dived this Teric on 115 dives between Nov 2019 and May 2021 before the battery failed and the computer was replaced. I did 57 dives on this computer when the AI failed in Sept 2021, again, thought due to the antenna. The computer was repaired, and I did 59 dives, before the current battery failure.

So, over about 2 1/2 years and 334 dives, I have had one screen failure, two loss of AI, and two battery failures. I really love the Teric, when it is working. I'm hoping that this time will be the charm.
I am sorry to hear this. Normally I would be a pushover for something like the Teric. But because my Perdix has been flawless for the last five years I am unwilling to enter the Teric lottery until things have settled down. I think it's time for a Teric II.
I bought a Garmin Mk1 and after looking at it I didn't expect it to last a year. What with being Garmin's first computer and a somewhat delicate appearance. But it continues to match the Perdix and keeps on ticking after four years.

I am sorry to hear this. Normally I would be a pushover for something like the Teric. But because my Perdix has been flawless for the last five years I am unwilling to enter the Teric lottery until things have settled down. I think it's time for a Teric II.
I bought a Garmin Mk1 and after looking at it I didn't expect it to last a year. What with being Garmin's first computer and a somewhat delicate appearance. But it continues to match the Perdix and keeps on ticking after four years.
I had very high expectations for the Teric, based on the track record of their other products. It appears that their first watch size computer was more difficult than they might have thought. The US service through Dive-Tronix could not be better. I wish Shearwater would be more transparent regarding Teric problems and solutions.

I have an 11 1/2-year-old Oceanic VT3 with 1691 dives and 1770 hours on it, works perfectly.

I'm hoping that this time will be the charm.
Oops, I think I got the one meant for you. 4 hrs diving over 2 days (no compass or AI), then 2 more days idle, and it is sitting at 90%. Will buy you a beer afterward if we ever wind up on the same boat. :cheers:

I had my primary Teric replaced a few weeks ago.

I did two diving days about a week apart. Approximately 3 hours of diving total. Including both a Mac Dive and Shearwater Cloud downloads after each diving day.

Primary 88%
Backup 62%

Looks like backup is going to need replacing soon. :confused:

Still not happy.

Back
Top Bottom