Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Planet is an active dive shop in Northern VA, right outside DC. I've been there several times, they are good people.
CORRECTION - Blue Planet is IN DC. Blue Octopus is right outside DC. Keyboard fingers moving faster than brain today. I haven't dealt with Blue Planet, however I know they exist.

We've been advised that a couple of shops in Indiana were victims of the scammers today. Please contact your local shop ASAP and advise them of this so they can watch out and be aware. We're guessing they're on the way to Michigan/Ohio.

The scammers call ahead to see if the computers are in stock. They seem to show up at the shop shortly before closing time.

We've been advised that a couple of shops in Indiana were victims of the scammers today.
Do you know who? We emailed all of them 1st thing this morning, only 1 emailed back thanking us. I wonder if they didn't see the emails in time

I’ve referred some people I know to very small shops. I always tell the person to make sure to tell the shop I referred them. I might even contact the shop myself and tell them I referred so and so.

I’ve also wondered about where the people get the computers who post multiple brand new, never used computers for sale. Always seemed slightly fishy.
Hey @Marie13 can you DM me? I can't dm you based on your settings :(

If anyone has any info on this, I have a friend in law enforcement who's very interested. DM you your contact info and I'll play middle man.

The questions: Who is Mr Big? Why PDC? (Easier to ship/carry) Who is it that knows and understands their value? The bad guys aren't trying to buy any old brand. This is like shoplifting by contract.

The guys walking into the stores brandishing the credit cards may only be expendable bit players.

I look forward to this crime spree being solved.

I was asked to help notify dive shops so I spent all of yesterday evening emailing/FB messaging shops in MI, OH, KY, and TN about the scammers. Working off the Shearwater dealer list online.

Lot of dive shops are barely hanging on these days. Do you want your local dive shop to lose a couple of grand to scammers? I'm not sure how many of you read the FB posts from screen shots or the linked FB posts. The scammers use the stolen cc to buy the dive computers. Once the credit card holder discovers the card has been stolen, they report it. The cc company then takes the $$ from the fraudulent transaction from the dive shop's bank account. How would you like to discover one day that $2K (or whatever it is) is gone from your business bank account and you have no way of getting it back. You're out the product AND the money.

Take a link to this post and send it to your local dive shop, wherever you are in the US. No one seems to give a flying f**k about notifying the dealers. Shearwater is very meh. They've known about the scam for months and couldn't be bothered to notify anyone. The owner of the Madison, WI dive shop I frequent is very motivated to get these scumbags caught. She had the shop manager do nothing yesterday but go after Shearwater to get their help on this. Shearwater actually responded that they don't think it's the same group doing this - even though there are security camera photos showing the same couple of scammer guys at the shop in the DC area as well as others in the Midwest.

Just got an email back from Louisville Dive Center. They got hit in November. Perdix, Terics, and transmitters.

This is a strange crime. What do the perpetrators do with the computers and transmitters? Obviously, the serial numbers are known and hopefully reported to the manufacturers and service facilities. The new "owners" of these computers and transmitters should be unable to register them or obtain service. Have any of these stolen items resurfaced to date? There are some other, relatively small, high cost items that could also be targets, like some reg sets. Have any items other that Shearwater and Garmin computers and transmitters been reported?

Perhaps items like this should have the serial numbers listed with the sales notice, to prevent these stolen items from being resold. Of course, there would have to be a central repository of the serial numbers, that could be contacted to make the check. Shearwater and Garmin would seem to be obvious choices.

I'm disturbed by the posts that state that Shearwater has not shown interest. My own 2 1/2 year relationship with them has led me to believe that they are quite consumer oriented.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom