Rusty Diver will be in Kauai in Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elizbrum

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm looking for diving recommendations in Kauai. I'm certified, but it's been 5+ years since I dove last. I wouldn't mind attending a quick "refresher" before the dive, ideally I'd like a company that provides smaller tours, focused on ecology. I'm comfortable with shore or boat dives & plan on re-reading my scuba class material prior to the trip so I'm prepared :wink: Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ni'ihau sounds fantastic...but I'm guessing it's past my experience level

Thanks!

That's great to hear! Very smart to do a review ahead of time and then a refresher. I have been divemastering here for over 11 years and wish I heard that more.

I think you would set yourself up for success by doing a dive at Koloa Landing first with a guide/instructor. After that you can decide what is next. Niihau isnt automatically "out" for you. A skilled guide can make divers successful there as long as they have a descent skill set. If you can descend and ascend without a line and closely follow a guide divers are usually just fine. Niihau can be advanced and can have strong current at times but there are ways to minimize the impact on divers.

Koloa Landing is a naturalists dream in my opinion. It is by far the best shore dive on the island and LOADED with amazing critters. Your more experienced DM's are likely to meet your ecology/naturalist interests.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I personally dive with SeaSport divers in Poipu. I'd be happy to help you with anything you need diving or otherwise. Have a great evening!

Aloha

AquamanKauai,

Thanks for your reply! Life kinda got in the way, haven't been to the board in awhile. I checked out SeaSport's web page & will be emailing them w/a couple of questions (specifically the free refresher class!).

I'm excited to get back into the water & seeing all the sea life.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hey Elizbrum,

AquamanKauai is right about Koloa Landing. With 85% of all my dives for 3 years at that location, it is by far the best for everything. Easy walk-in site with many really neat finds. I have found frog fish, devil scorpions, green sea turtles, octopus, dragon moray eels, cleaner shrimp, and tons more.

I worked with Aquatic Adventures (aascuba.com). Check them out as well and see what refresher dives they have on their schedule. Ask for Shawn or Pat.

Have a great time while in the water there. When you get back, let us know how your trip was.

Mike J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom