Kauai recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FilmDork

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha gang! I'm headed to Kauai for a week in mid-May and was hoping to hear about some of your recommendations for dive ops on Kauai.

For some context, I'll be diving with my girlfriend who is certified but very new. As things stand now, she lacks both confidence and great buoyancy control, so someone who feels comfortable with newbies would be great. Smaller groups preferred. I'm also hoping to make it to Ni'ihau for a day (just me, no gf), so if the op runs trips out that way and is fairly reliable (I've read weather can be an issue), that'd be great too. Oh, and we're staying near Poipu if that matters.

Also curious if there are any beginner sites where we may have a chance at spotting monk seals? That's her greatest wish, though I've told her I don't think there are many reliable places aside from Ni'ihau.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any other helpful nuggets for a first time visitor, they'd be greatly appreciated!

We went last year with Seasport and they were a fantastic shop. Did a quick gear check dive at Koloa Landing (which was kinda meh/dead site but saw tons of turtles!) with a DM, and then I did Ni'ihau the following day. DEFINTIELY make it out to Ni'ihau if you can (rightly not with a newer diver) - the boat ride is long and can get pretty choppy. Fathom Five and Bubbles Below are the other two primary shops as well and haven't heard much about either except BB maybe sliding a bit since it was sold a few years back.

I used Explore Kauai Scuba, and they were awesome. Smaller than some of the other ops, but they do it all and do it as well as it can be done, IMO.

I cannot comment on a specific op, but you’re almost guaranteed to do a guided dive at Koloa landing in Poipu. It does look dead, but there is actually tons of life there. After a couple boat dives that I found overly expensive and not showing me anything special, I did 15 or so shore dives out of Koloa landing. I really recommend taking the opportunity to shore dive Koloa landing multiple times and build skills/confidence. Sea sport divers a few blocks away rents tanks for self guided shore diving.

You can swim to two other sites (Sheraton caverns and stone house) from Koloa landing, but not a good idea with your girlfriend still learning basics. Boat dives out of Poipu area will likely take you to both regardless.

As for monk seals, I never saw any in the water but did hear them on night dives at Koloa landing. I have seen them resting on Kiahanu beach in Poipu, but I’m not sure if that’s a common occurrence.

Aloha and thanks for looking into your Kauai diving trip here on SB. There's so much fantastic diving here that I'd love to help you out if I can in even the smallest of ways. There are numerous options for companies and locations as you fine tune your interest. Your girlfriend being new doesn't need to exclude her from anything - as with the right guide you'll be able to experience the best of Kauai's shore and boat. Niihau as you mention might have to wait til more dives are logged however. Since you are in Poipu the closest operations would be Dive Kauai, Seasport Divers and Fathom Five (as far as boats). All have excellent reviews and reputations. The type of boats you'd be on vary somewhat for sure and you may wish to look at the differences. I also always suggest looking into staff - or requesting an experienced DM who is good with newer divers. The shore dive at Koloa Landing could be a perfect start for you both. It is generally very calm there and it is loaded with crazy cool critters. While the site is currently still recovering somewhat from flooding this winter, it has improved greatly in the past week or so - and by your visit may be back close to normal. Regardless, you can expect to see leaf scorpion fish, devil scorpion fish, dragon morays, turtles, whitemouth morays, freckled snake eels, trumpet fish, coronet fish, likely frogfish (minimally 4 juveniles and one adult there this week), several species of nudibranchs, octopus and more!!
From the boat harbor in Poipu there are over 20 sites within 15 minutes thereabouts. Lava arches, caves, lava tubes ( Sheraton Caverns ), mixed coral / algae reefs and small ledges / walls. Most of the diving is done in the 25-70ft range. I highly suggest a windbreaker and if in any doubt - some sort of sea sickness med. Kauai is the only island where the primary diving is NOT on the leeward side. That means that on days when the wind is blowing 15mph or more it can be bumpier than what you would experience on the other islands.
If you would like to borrow a fish book while you are here I'd be happy to get one your way. For that matter if you decide to do a day or shore on your own I could let you use a mat, cooler and weight. Take a look into the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook to help set up an amazing trip for both of you. Lots of great suggestions there. While I currently work at Fathom Five Divers I've been diving here in the islands for 22 years and have a great deal of knowledge about all the companies etc. If I can answer any specific questions you can send me a PM at any point. Certainly if you choose another company I would be more than happy to give a DM name to request as well. We're all friends here (ok, maybe not the owners) and help each other out whenever we can.
There aren't any sites underwater that you can see monk seals on the regular outside of Niihau. I can however give you some beach names that you may get to see one or two hauled out to rest. Maybe you could do a catamaran trip to the Napali Coast / Niihau. That way you could both enjoy the countless dolphins and beauty of the Napali and share some ocean time with seals? Just a thought. Sorry if the reply got long winded. Good luck planning and hit me up with anything I can assist with. Aloha
A

I am hoping for your recommendations on planning our visit. The plan is to dive Koloa Landing 5 days in a row. We have a 14 yr old and 17 yr old who will have last dove 50 weeks ago. Here is our plan: On day one we will hire a DM to show us around, the remaining days we will dive without. We're bringing our masks, fins, wetsuits, wrist computers. We will rent the gear and tanks for 5 days. Our goal is repetition for the kids, same, same, same daily routine and of course joyful experiences in a low stress environment while adding to their dive logs. We're staying in Lahui and driving in daily.
1) Does this seem like a reasonable plan for Koloa Landing?
2) Do you have a dive shop to recommend for gear and tanks?
3) Do you have a DM recommendation?

I cannot comment on a specific op, but you’re almost guaranteed to do a guided dive at Koloa landing in Poipu. It does look dead, but there is actually tons of life there. After a couple boat dives that I found overly expensive and not showing me anything special, I did 15 or so shore dives out of Koloa landing. I really recommend taking the opportunity to shore dive Koloa landing multiple times and build skills/confidence. Sea sport divers a few blocks away rents tanks for self guided shore diving.

You can swim to two other sites (Sheraton caverns and stone house) from Koloa landing, but not a good idea with your girlfriend still learning basics. Boat dives out of Poipu area will likely take you to both regardless.

As for monk seals, I never saw any in the water but did hear them on night dives at Koloa landing. I have seen them resting on Kiahanu beach in Poipu, but I’m not sure if that’s a common occurrence.
That repetitive dive trip at Koloa seems perfect for our crew. Do you have any idea how long it took to swim to Sheraton Caverns?

I am hoping for your recommendations on planning our visit. The plan is to dive Koloa Landing 5 days in a row. We have a 14 yr old and 17 yr old who will have last dove 50 weeks ago. Here is our plan: On day one we will hire a DM to show us around, the remaining days we will dive without. We're bringing our masks, fins, wetsuits, wrist computers. We will rent the gear and tanks for 5 days. Our goal is repetition for the kids, same, same, same daily routine and of course joyful experiences in a low stress environment while adding to their dive logs. We're staying in Lahui and driving in daily.
1) Does this seem like a reasonable plan for Koloa Landing?
2) Do you have a dive shop to recommend for gear and tanks?
3) Do you have a DM recommendation?
I dove with @AquamanKauai, and he was beyond awesome. I'd suggest dropping him a message. He'll steer you in the right direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom