Trip Report Hawaii - Kona/Big Island May 2023 trip report/dive shop comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rearviewmirror

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've just wrapped up three weeks of scuba diving with 14 dives over that time period (lots more non-scuba stuff to do on the island as well!). Here are some initial thoughts on dive company options and some photos/video.

Kona Diving Company
Check-in: Felt a lot more "old school" and a lot friendlier. Took time explaining where the boat is and where to park, and gave me a printout of the dock. Had me show up 15 mins earlier for my first day of diving.

Gear: Sadly no DIN tanks, but had DIN convertors. Dived Nitrox - fills were 3100+ psi every time. They provide EAN32 for the first dive and EAN36 for the second. There's an analyzer on the boat with an LP connector, and a spare air tank to calibrate the sensor. You calibrate tanks individually before each dive.

Dives: The guiding on this boat was absolutely exemplary. The most comprehensive dive site/wildlife briefings I have ever received. Some folks seemed to get antsy to get in the water, but I loved the 5-10mins sense of what we might see and why. I did a lot of their local AM trips (only one got cancelled for weather and easily rebooked), and then their manta night dive. Do not consider diving the mantas at night with anyone else. They get in the water 30mins later than everyone, so at the end of the dive you get 20mins "alone" with the mantas at the campfire. Particular shout outs to guides Cody, Lindsay, and Hailey who were all outstanding at finding things and had a great chilled vibe.

I posted a more flowery review of KDC here and stand by everything they brought to the table. Really outstanding dive company.

Jack's Diving Locker
Check-in: Very modern dive store vibe, extremely young staff (like high-schoolers). Fairly quick and perfunctory check of my cert cards and done. No additional info on the dock etc.

Dive day was ok - one guide seemed to be amazing (Peter) and took his guests to a lot of very cool stuff. For example, we saw dolphins from the boat and he took his group immediately to them and spent time with them for their first dive, sadly our guide did not and so we didn't see them underwater at all. The captain of the boat was new to this dive outfit, and they struggled a bit to find a second dive site, having gone very close to the harbour for the first dive. We went to three sites to evaluate conditions before returning to the harbor. My wife had a great experience getting OW certified with them (Toby was an amazing instructor, and the qualifying divemaster Rosalind was also great), but when I dove with them a second time the guide was awful - didn't look back once to check on the group despite the dive being a relatively strong current and lower than usual viz. I had to chase him down on both dives to let him know I was going to go conduct my safety stops.

Every day so far conditions have gotten rougher as the morning progresses, so I was a bit surprised they went close to the harbor first, and then tried to go further north for the second dive. I will say, Captain Gary was excellent and did a phenomenal job of taking us to see a pod of pilot whales on our surface interval between dives.

Gear: Had DIN tanks. Dived Nitrox - tank fills were so so - first dives just over 3,000 psi, second dives were both around 2950. Both fills are EAN32. They have oxygen analyzers on the dock, and you analyze your tanks before boarding the boat.

Kona Honu
Kind of disorganized all around - guides didn't seem super sure on what sites to go to as there was some swell up and we couldn't dive the first site we moored at. The guides were enthusiastic, but maybe a little over the top and treated somewhat common sightings as "unbelievable". For the night dive they didn't ask any of the divers about experience levels which seemed a bit odd to me and folks definitely had varying ability/skill levels. I did an advanced long range dive, and while we saw a lot of cool stuff, we were unable to go very "long range" as there was a problem with one of the boat's engines, so we dove very close to the shore. Both dives were "drift" dives, but in reality there was little to no current at the second site, and only mild surge. Had we not happened to see some very cool things I would have felt kind of short changed, so I felt like nature kind of bailed them out on this one. Perfect pleasant people to be around, but it felt a bit like diving without a very clear plan for the day. They didn't seem as safety conscious when tying on, whereas KDC are very clear that the boat is in neutral and indicate to the captain where the diver is at all times. Food on the boat was from Jack's Diving Locker.

Gear: Had DIN tanks, dived nitrox - all fills were around 3,200 psi, and both fills were EAN32.

When I come back to Kona I will be exclusively diving with KDC and I'm excited to try out their long range and night offerings next time. Their guiding has been excellent, the vibe on the boat has been very relaxed and nature focused, and I like their approach of EAN32/36 for two tank dives.

The diving
The overall diving here has been absolutely outstanding. As someone who certified in the Red Sea I have pretty high standards and the breadth of the biodiversity here is amazing. Whether you're into macro or micro, dives with structure, or nudibranch hunting there is so much to do here you won't get bored. Wreck diving is about the only thing I don't think you can do here, and to be honest I didn't bother trying to research it. I could list off literally 20-30 species here that I was very excited to see and saw them all. About the only large creatures I didn't see were tiger sharks and whale sharks (my guide saw a tiger but nobody else did) and while we didn't see hammerheads diving we saw two from the boat, along with a pod of around 15 pilot whales.

Non-diving
There is so much other cool stuff to do here - hiking, kayaking, Volcanoes National Park, Mauna Kea stargazing - definitely book some stuff in advance (like the stargazing - we went through Hawaii Forest and Trail last minute and were lucky to get a cancellation after joining the waitlist).

Food/groceries/gas
Definitely on the pricier end with groceries being roughly 2X East Coast prices. Eating out was a mixed bag on price/quality. Places we particularly enjoyed - Merriman's Waimea ($$$), Jackie Rey's Kona ($$), Da Poke Shack ($), Kona Pasta Company ($$), Tuk Tuk Food Truck near Volcano, HI ($), Mi Taqueria Potosina ($). Umeke's was very good poke but unbelievably expensive ($65 for lunch for two people). Gas was also pretty pricey at around $5 a gallon.

A few photos/videos:

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 10.40.59.png
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 10.41.40.png
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 10.42.53.png

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 10.44.06.png

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 10.43.33.png

If Merriman’s was $$$ I wonder what would be $$$$?:wink:

If Merriman’s was $$$ I wonder what would be $$$$?:wink:
Merriman’s was $95 per person for three courses, while Umeke’s was $65 for two poke bowls. Definitely an order of magnitude off but the quality/value felt heavily better for the experience at Merriman’s. Kona in general was pricey. But as you said - not cheap!

I am just starting research for my first Hawaii trip coming up in July, and just wanted to say thanks for the reviews of dive ops. I really appreciate you taking time to explain the vibe of each op and going over their pros and cons without being overly harsh!

I am just starting research for my first Hawaii trip coming up in July, and just wanted to say thanks for the reviews of dive ops. I really appreciate you taking time to explain the vibe of each op and going over their pros and cons without being overly harsh!
You're welcome. Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs. Neither Jack's nor Kona Honu were "bad" - Jack's boat is amazing, and their captains were first rate, and Kona Honu were super friendly and tried to take us to the site I requested - I just prefer a bit more of a sealife forward/guided style of diving when I'm new in a place. KDC also have a promo right now for 20% off bookings (SPRINGPROMO) and when I was in the shop today they mentioned that they are starting to get busier after a particularly quiet April/May. So regardless of who you go with - book ahead!

Wow thanks so much for this. I have a trip in August and was just thinking about how to plan. I have 10 days total (coming through international though, so taking out 1 day on either side to rest up and decompress, so let's say 8 days total).

Where did you stay? I'm there solely for the diving (I did solely land-based excursions when I was there last year). Some people tell me that I should split my time between Kona and Kohala coast, however, I'm AOW and doesn't look like there's really any dive centers that cater towards experienced divers on the Kohala coast. And would love not to lose time on days where I'd be transferring lodging, since I don't want to risk my luggage sitting in my car on a dive day.

My assumption is that I should just stay in Kona, and find a place with a washer and fridge access :)

Thanks much!

Wow thanks so much for this. I have a trip in August and was just thinking about how to plan. I have 10 days total (coming through international though, so taking out 1 day on either side to rest up and decompress, so let's say 8 days total).

Where did you stay? I'm there solely for the diving (I did solely land-based excursions when I was there last year). Some people tell me that I should split my time between Kona and Kohala coast, however, I'm AOW and doesn't look like there's really any dive centers that cater towards experienced divers on the Kohala coast. And would love not to lose time on days where I'd be transferring lodging, since I don't want to risk my luggage sitting in my car on a dive day.

My assumption is that I should just stay in Kona, and find a place with a washer and fridge access :)

Thanks much!
Kind of up to you in terms of what vibe you're looking for! I stayed south of Kailua Kona (between Kailua and Captain Cook) and it was a much more relaxed vibe. It's definitely a bit more rainy towards Holualoa but also has a nice fresh breeze even when it's sticky. Also beware that grocery prices are insane right now! I loved where I stayed and it was a good mix of calm and access to restaurants etc.

We drove up the Kohala Coast and there is one dive outfit called Kohala Divers but honestly just ran out of time to check them out. Things did feel a lot sleepier up there, with not much in terms of restaurants of town center. It seems like their charters begin at 7:30am - so just be aware that it is around a 1hr drive from Kailua Kona if you do want to try to dive with them. I couldn't justify getting up that early when I loved diving with KDC so much.

For anyone else finding this thread, I would also say you might want to throw in some more advanced/long range dives. The site variety is massive, but conditions are variable at some of the deeper sites, and so I wish I had booked more long range charters to guarantee favorable conditions at Touch of Gray.

It does sound like Kohala Divers offer more advanced dives but it requires that you become a "Gold Tang" diver which entails:
Become a Gold Tang Diver!
To join the exploratory dive you must earn your gold tang diver status with us:
How?
Join any 2 tank dive trip and have our guide verify that you:
Are a Nitrox certified diver or will complete elearning and earn certification on this dive day
Can Ascend, Descend and safety stop without assistance or a descent line
Can Maintain a 1 minute hover
are comfortable in an overhead environment
Can swim against a moderate current and board a live boat

There are many good dive ops out of Kona but they all hit the same sites if you dive with them enough so really just find one you vibe with but the next time you come back it may be different as the guides jump around. We usually dive with a few different ops each time we go and mix in some shore diving. Below are my favorite ops depending on the area of the coast. Kahala Divers is my favorite op as they go to part of the coast that none of the boats out of Kona will go to so usually your are the only divers there. Blue Wilderness is run out of the General Store on Puako Road and can help with shore diving and renting anything you need.

Kona Area:
Pacific Rim Divers
Kona Honu
Aquatic Live Divers
Big Island Divers

Puako:
Blue Wilderness "small boat usually 6 divers or less"

Kahala:
Kahala Divers "My favorite"

Shore Diving:

Kahala:
Black Sand Beach at the Mauna Lani, Mahukona

Puako Road:
House 40, House 56, Catholic Church, End of the road

South of Kona:
Mile Marker 4, Two Step, Black Pebble Beach "My Favorite but not good on south swell"

Hilo:
Some good shore diving but the op we used is now retired so not sure who anymore.

Have fun, the more I dive the Big Island the more I like. We are lucky enough to get to go 2-3 times a year and we just got back last Friday and already miss it. Also we stay in a condo in Waikoloa Village which puts us kind of in the middle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom