Trip Report Hawaii - Kona/Big Island May 2023 trip report/dive shop comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last thing I would say is, depending on your temperature tolerance, I found the diving to be COLD!! So much so that I purchased a Sharkskin titanium exposure layer to go under my 5mm semi-dry. I'm a bit of a wimp with temperature, so you may be fine, but just wanted to flag that it is chilly if you're primarily used to warmer waters.

Right now I’m not used to anything. I have a 5mm wetsuit so that was my plan. Suppose if I need to add something when I’m there I can. My brother-in-law a diver in Hawaii said he mostly just wears a rash guard but he’s got a bit more insulation than me.

We are also going to do some dives on Oahu since that is where he is based and where he’ll be stuck as he’s the one getting wed. I’ll be making some side trips on my own.

Right now I’m not used to anything. I have a 5mm wetsuit so that was my plan. Suppose if I need to add something when I’m there I can. My brother-in-law a diver in Hawaii said he mostly just wears a rash guard but he’s got a bit more insulation than me.

We are also going to do some dives on Oahu since that is where he is based and where he’ll be stuck as he’s the one getting wed. I’ll be making some side trips on my own.
How cold is the water there? I wore a 7mm wetsuit w/ a 3mm hoodie vest in 51 degree water (Monterey, CA) and was surprisingly very comfortable. However, the kids I dove with were cold.

How cold is the water there? I wore a 7mm wetsuit w/ a 3mm hoodie vest in 51 degree water (Monterey, CA) and was surprisingly very comfortable. However, the kids I dove with were cold.

Looks like low is low 70s in March. So definitely better than 51.

Speaking of which. I’m looking at trying to get in as many dives as possible in the coming months prior to my trip. I’m in NC. Can’t afford a dry suit right now. I’m low a low body fat, thin guy. Do you think my diving will be limited by absence of a dry suit or can I cobble something together at the semi dry or 7mm plus hood level that will work?

Did your LDS provide any rec's on what setup would work for the type of dives you want to make? Doesn't hurt to consider renting a few different suits before you fully commit to buying. I'm planning to rent a 3/5mm suit for the manta ray dives for our Kona trip in August.

I just bought a 5mm for now. Figure if I need something different when I get there I’ll just grab one.

I only use a 5mm full suit in Hawaii now, 3mm doesn't cut it anymore on multiple dive days. I would rather let a little water in to cool down than be cold. You will see some guides in 7/8mm in the winter. Water temps are 73 - 82ish depending on the time of year. Hawaii is warmish water but defiantly not Caribbean warm water.

Figured that I would add to this thread. Dove with KDC and Kohala Divers last week. My experience with KDC echoes OP's review of them. Ended up doing 2 sets of morning dives and the 2-tank manta dive with them. They were nice enough to set me up with steel 100 nitrox tanks after Sara noticed how quick I went through air on my first two dives when compared to my dive group (I'm super new to diving so my SAC still is a work in progress).

My experience with Kohala Divers is similar to KDC. They have a larger boat, which is docked super close to the dive shop. Divers per divemaster is similar in ratio compared to KDC's. One of their Divemaster used to work at KDC and is still close with them. Folks at KDC also recommended Kohala Divers for folks wanting to check out the Kohala coast. I enjoyed that they had a lot more structure and arches to check out in that area (when compared to the sites I dove down at Kailua-Kona).

We love big island and has a good experience with Kona diving company

I'd recommend anyone going to the Big Island to also check out Big Island Divers. My experience with them was very similar to OP's experience with KDC. Be curious to hear how they compare for others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom