rEvo modifications, tweaks and customisations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to admit I have never considered replacing one DSV with a slightly different DSV. I will have to look into this. Mainly for better NERD retention/alignment.

I have to admit I have never considered replacing one DSV with a slightly different DSV. I will have to look into this. Mainly for better NERD retention/alignment.
What problems do you have w NERD retention?
I have an adjustable NERD mount that came w rEvo as an option, R590. Never have issues.

Is there a wing type that seems to work better for the revo's?

I have been using a Dive Rite Nomad XT (sidemount wing) since I bought my first unit (from @Dsix36) as that was what was on it. I bought a second rEvo Micro recently, from someone else, and it already had a Nomad XT on it, also.

So, I have never dived a rEvo with anything else, and therefore you should take what I say about it with a grain of salt.

But, I have dived with other rEvo divers who do things like put a little weight on the very top, to counter being tail heavy. I read about other CCR (in general) divers who also fight being tail heavy.

I have never had any issue with obtaining flat trim in my rEvo - whether diving wet, dry, or nothing but a rash guard and shorts. Not even with the rEvo factory stainless steel stand on the bottom.

I have a suspicion that the shape of my wing helps with that. The Nomad sidemount wing is shaped so that it puts the air down lower, closer to my hips. I suspect that counters any tail heaviness. I don't use them, but I note that it even has bungees you can use on the wing to help control the shape of the inflated wing. You can tighten them up and cause the air to be distributed even more towards the bottom of the wing.

What problems do you have w NERD retention?
I have an adjustable NERD mount that came w rEvo as an option, R590. Never have issues.

I have tried 3 different NERD mount arrangements, between using it on the DSV and on the rEvo BOV.

I have not found one yet that holds the NERD rock solid. They are rely on friction to keep the mount from rotating on the DSV/BOV, which means they always end up moving around some as I turn my head from side to side and the cable gets a little tug on it.

I want to look at yours this weekend (weather permitting) and see if you have something different than any of my mounts. I have taken my BOV off and gone back to using the standard rEvo DSV and I would LOVE to find a mount that does not move at all.

Hi guys, first time/long time here. I’ve done a bunch of the mods other people on this thread have done (Hogarthian harness, diverite wing, monstruo nerd cap) but the single best mod I’ve done so far is replacing the dsv with the divesoft rEvo version and using their nerd mounting bracket. I find the lever works easier (it has little thumb ledges to help you get a grip) it holds a negative/positive better (my factory one leaked even after replacing the o rings) and the nerd bracket is fixed and doesn’t move around on you which was a massive annoyance with the c-clamp thingy it came with.

Thanks for posting about this! I have looked at the Divesoft BOV before, but never really paid attention to the fact they have a plain DSV for rEvo.

I looked at pictures of their mount. It makes it look like the NERD is positioned up pretty high in your field of view. How it is, really?

Can you bend that metal part and position the NERD so it appears to be so low that any lower and it would start to disappear below the body of the DSV?

Any chance you could post some pictures of it?

A pic from sort of the diver's eye view?

And a pic showing how the hoses connect to the DSV? The pics kind of look like their nipples might be some kind of bayonet fitting, instead of held on by hose clamps (aka worm gears).

Does it use rEvo factory spiders and mushroom valves, or Divesoft-specific ones?

I added a couple of stickers. Kept attaching the loop before checking the mushrooms and would have to pull it off to check them. Added reminder stickers.
DSC_3781.JPG

I have tried 3 different NERD mount arrangements, between using it on the DSV and on the rEvo BOV.

I have not found one yet that holds the NERD rock solid. They are rely on friction to keep the mount from rotating on the DSV/BOV, which means they always end up moving around some as I turn my head from side to side and the cable gets a little tug on it.

I want to look at yours this weekend (weather permitting) and see if you have something different than any of my mounts. I have taken my BOV off and gone back to using the standard rEvo DSV and I would LOVE to find a mount that does not move at all.

Well, this weekend is not likely to happen. However, after chatting with several rEvo owners, I think I know what can be an issue - cable length. For the NERD to stay put, your cable length must be perfect and there must be zero interference with hose covers.

If the cable is too short, the friction won't hold your NERD in a place like you want. The NERD will always turn away from you. If the cable is too long, it may push the NERD into the mask. I played with several cable lengths and selected the best fit so that there is zero tension or slack. Also, I noticed that I had a few hose cover humps that pulled on the cable. When I install NERD now, I ensure that the cable is in front on the hump.

Finally, please keep in mind that my DSV is still relatively new with ~50 hours on it. I suspect the area where I amount the NERD will become more polished with time and the NERD will start sliding. Perhaps the alternative is to replace the NERD w a Fathom HUD;-)

Doesn't like to hold alignment. Really fussy about getting the cable slack set just right. Wants to rotate on the DSV and I find myself always nudging it back into place.
I had trouble with the Nerd moving around on the DSV. I Glued a thin strip of sandpaper on the snap on mount for some "traction" against the body of the DSV. Also got some clips from AP to secure the Nerd cable along the loop hose. The Nerd moves around a lot less now. Pics posted

Attachments

• 20221111_095406.jpg
    20221111_095406.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20221111_095537.jpg
    20221111_095537.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20221111_095432.jpg
    20221111_095432.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221111_101100.jpg
    20221111_101100.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221111_092914.jpg
    20221111_092914.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 55
I switched to a Meg DSV, but I did a little mod for my buddy to secure his HUD mount. I don't suggest you try this if you are not mechanically inclined, good with measuring, and accurate with power tools. I drilled a hole in the interior radius of the HUD holder only about 3/4 of the way that was tight enough to secure a s.s. dowel pin (I believe I used 3/16" diameter). I then drilled a matching hole in the DSV but slightly larger so it would slide in easily. This was done on the outer part of the HUD holder so it could be fitted and then clipped on the rest of the way. Never moved on him again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom