rEvo modifications, tweaks and customisations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More recently, I have been diving with some different very experienced MOD3 CCR divers, including at least two CCR instructors and 2 CCR instructor trainers. None of them use or recommend a BOV.

The gist of the why is that getting a CO2 hit happens for one of two reasons that both boil down to stupidity. You either didn't pack your scrubber/build your unit correctly, or you did not pay attention to the signs and symptoms and you worked yourself into one.
id be more convinced if youd written-

"More recently, I have been diving with some different very experienced MOD3 CCR divers, including at least two CCR instructors and 2 CCR instructor trainers who have had CO2 hits and they had no problem switching, none of them use or recommend a BOV."

Please tell me youve asked them if theyve ever had a CO2 hit?

As for the other reasons -I have to call BS on that I think your logic is flawed - the whole point of redundancy is to mitigate the possibility of human error - not to reduce safety margins because you believe you wont make mistakes -thats classic Dunning Kruger.

I take 4 cutting tools on my wreck penetration dives- im not taking them anymore because if i get tangled its my own stupid fault and i didnt pay attention to the hazards around me

"More recently, I have been diving with some different very experienced MOD3 CCR divers, including at least two CCR instructors and 2 CCR instructor trainers who have had CO2 hits and they had no problem switching, none of them use or recommend a BOV."

As for the other reasons -I have to call BS on that I think your logic is flawed - the whole point of redundancy is to mitigate the possibility of human error - not to reduce safety margins because you believe you wont make mistakes -thats classic Dunning Kruger.

I take 4 cutting tools on my wreck penetration dives- im not taking them anymore because if i get tangled its my own stupid fault and i didnt pay attention to the hazards around me
Completely agree. No pilot goes to work intending to die in a plane crash yet they do, no matter how well trained they are and how well built the planes are, same phenomenon in medicine, medical negligence is one of the top causes of deaths in the western world. Human error occurs because we are human. Don’t think it won’t happen to you. Use a BOV.

Completely agree. No pilot goes to work intending to die in a plane crash yet they do, no matter how well trained they are and how well built the planes are, same phenomenon in medicine, medical negligence is one of the top causes of deaths in the western world. Human error occurs because we are human. Don’t think it won’t happen to you. Use a BOV.
@Lerouxnyc @stuartv

I hog wrap a long hose under my loop as part of a full buuble and bail S drill before the start of my dive i.e. no BOV.

Question is the BOV depth limited?

@Lerouxnyc @stuartv

I hog wrap a long hose under my loop as part of a full buuble and bail S drill before the start of my dive i.e. now BOV.

Question is the BOV depth limited?
The BOV is a normal regulator, so not intrinsically depth limited. Just like your hog loop.

However, the gas plumbed in to the BOV most definitely will be MOD limited. Just like your hog loop.

Obviously a BOV is utter simplicity to switch to in a fraction of a second, completely unlike your hog loop or a normal bailout regulator.

Also the bailout stage can be unclipped and passed to another diver in need, unlike your hog loop.

I think you are assigning no negative value to the additional complexities and failure points associated with having a BOV.

Regardless….

One of the things I have learned in life, and had it reiterated SO many times right here on SB, is that just because I may not understand why, that does not mean that the numerous way more experienced people than I am are wrong.

In other words, I have “disagreed” many times with people way more experienced. I have often felt like I was making a very clear and cogent argument in favor of my point of view and others were not at all countering what I said. And then, eventually, I learn that they were right, they just were not explaining why they were right. At least, not in a way that effectively communicated their argument to ME.

So, I have learned, at least sometimes, that when enough people who are my role models and mentors all agree on something, I should probably listen. And, in this case, regarding BOVs, that is one element of where I’m at. People who are at the very top of this game, in both legit, big dives, and in teaching, and whom I count as mentors, all do not use BOVs nor recommend them. I used one for long enough to develop some thoughts of my own about them.

I think it is now down to assigning weight to risks. You are putting a lot more weight on the risk of getting a CO2 hit that is so bad you can’t bail. My mentors’ experience puts a much lower weight on that risk. My own dollop of experience jibes with what my mentors say, so I’m following their lead.

But, you do you… 😀

I think you are assigning no negative value to the additional complexities and failure points associated with having a BOV.

Regardless….

One of the things I have learned in life, and had it reiterated SO many times right here on SB, is that just because I may not understand why, that does not mean that the numerous way more experienced people than I am are wrong.

In other words, I have “disagreed” many times with people way more experienced. I have often felt like I was making a very clear and cogent argument in favor of my point of view and others were not at all countering what I said. And then, eventually, I learn that they were right, they just were not explaining why they were right. At least, not in a way that effectively communicated their argument to ME.

So, I have learned, at least sometimes, that when enough people who are my role models and mentors all agree on something, I should probably listen. And, in this case, regarding BOVs, that is one element of where I’m at. People who are at the very top of this game, in both legit, big dives, and in teaching, and whom I count as mentors, all do not use BOVs nor recommend them. I used one for long enough to develop some thoughts of my own about them.

I think it is now down to assigning weight to risks. You are putting a lot more weight on the risk of getting a CO2 hit that is so bad you can’t bail. My mentors’ experience puts a much lower weight on that risk. My own dollop of experience jibes with what my mentors say, so I’m following their lead.

But, you do you… 😀
Well said and agree with all of that.

I’ve chosen to use a BOV purely for its ease of use…
Need a sanity breath then flip the switch, easy.
Jump in and the loop falls apart, flip the switch, easy.
Get to the bottom of the shot and want to validate, flip the switch, easy.
In the extremely unlikely event of a CO2 hit, flip the switch, easy.
Not sure about anything, flip the switch, easy.

If the mouthpiece fell off, it’s a standard bailout to the bailout regulator.

The additional expense ($1k+) is a sunk cost, no more expenditure required. The additional pre-dive procedures are trivial — just connect and test breathe.

Agreed that when (actually a very big IF) I ever dive deep enough to warrant a highly hypoxic diluent (under 10%) then I may re-evaluate the BOV and switching procedures.

So, I have learned, at least sometimes, that when enough people who are my role models and mentors all agree on something, I should probably listen.
I need to keep reminding myself of THIS!

(though it is important to also remember that sometimes the experts are wrong, which is why there is a slow drift to even better expert opinions. It doesn't hurt to continue questioning the experts with humility)

I could be mistaken, but I believe the long hose kit/option for rEvo is only the hoses to the MAV. Nothing to do with the hoses to the SPGs. So, the long hose option would have no bearing on your ability to see your gauges.
Yes, you will have to order long hoses all around. Long MAV and long gauge hoses R515A and R515B.

This is one thing I love about the X-CCR... the built-in pressure sensors which display directly on the Petrel, alongside PPO2 information, labelled O2 and DIL. Saw it recently and can't unsee it. I really wish rEvo had that built-in sensors, sending information directly to the DiveCAN rather than dealing with additional batteries, potential loss in transmission with Swifts, etc.
@Borris What are these? Are they CO2 sensors? Or are you talking about built in pressure gauge, this is simple on revo, two swift transmitters, a nerd secondary, petrel 3 primary and a splitter for a third cell to the Nerd

@Borris What are these? Are they CO2 sensors? Or are you talking about built in pressure gauge, this is simple on revo, two swift transmitters, a nerd secondary, petrel 3 primary and a splitter for a third cell to the Nerd

The X has them hardwired in. Not wireless. No separate batteries to maintain. Cylinder pressures fed to the controller via DiveCAN. I believe it also has a CO2 sensor option that can also show some kind of info on the controller as well, but I don't know if that is some form of gauge, or just a Warning or Error that pops up if CO2 gets too high.

It's cool, but not cool enough to sway me one way or another on what unit to buy.

I used to use a splitter, so I could have 3 cells displayed on my NERD. Mel Clark convinced me that that was ... unnecessary. Now, I use no splitters. 2 cells displayed on the NERD and the 3rd spot on the Center Row has the 3-way mini widget, showing O2 and Dil pressures and my SurfGF. I made this change over a year ago and am very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom