Review my Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount_Stu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i'm probably exposing myself to a heap of abuse here.... but i'm quite new to sidemount and keen to get things as good as possible.... I took this video in the pool recently and would appreciate feedback on setup. (Ignore my hanging Double Ender, that wouldn't normally be there, I forgot to remove it as i was only in the pool)

The video was shot for somebody in particular, so i've placed text all over it with my thoughts.... but i'm interested to get more opinions too......

[video=vimeo;120894491]https://vimeo.com/120894491[/video]

don't worry about the text, it's great to see your self analysis.

I would move the bands up an inch or two to help get the valves a bit farther back but it isn't entirely necessary. If it is comfortable where it is then it is a non-issue.

Right bottle is clearly hanging heavy, mine does that too, no idea why but I have felt right side heavy for the last few sessions and haven't figured it out yet. Right bottle is hanging perfectly, so I would mimic that on the left side whether it is clipping to the different attachment point or moving the d-rings to the appropriate position.

Look really good though, the rest of this is just nitpicking. Twinsets are certainly a bit easier eh?

Just tighten your crotch strap a bit too. It should be snug and lock your harness in place. I also like running the bungee crotch strap through the rear d-ring and the scooter ring to keep it in place. Makes it more comfortable for the "boys".

Stu, great to see your openess by posting a video, best way to improve and at the risk of abuse by the SB experts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tighten your crotch strap a bit too. It should be snug and lock your harness in place. I also like running the bungee crotch strap through the rear d-ring and the scooter ring to keep it in place. Makes it more comfortable for the "boys".

Agreed, this is one point i've corrected already.... i also route the bungee through the rear d-ring, although haven't been running it through the scooter ring.... thanks for the feedback :)

looks pretty damn good stu. i am also feeling head heavy and tried moving both tanks more towards my feet. didn't help me much though. resorted to the dreaded ankle weights for now until i get it sorted out. trying to avoid putting any weight on the tanks. keep up the good work !!

looks pretty damn good stu. i am also feeling head heavy and tried moving both tanks more towards my feet. didn't help me much though. resorted to the dreaded ankle weights for now until i get it sorted out. trying to avoid putting any weight on the tanks. keep up the good work !!

thanks, it's my third complete setup change with the same kit! LOL.... I went from using the square D-rings and loop bungee and bizarrely not being able to get the cylinders (Steel 12's) to do anything other than hang below me.... to adding a butt plate, using the rails and much longer leashes on the bolt snaps, which hung the cylinders in the right place, but they were really sloppy and moved around a lot... to finally moving to Hip D-ring and shorter leashes again.... they now sit about right without too much movement....

although i'm now struggling to get my hand (with dryglove rings) between my body and the left cylinder for getting hold of the bolt snap to then attach my stage/deco cylinder.....

The fight goes on....... :D (but it's a good fight, and i do at least feel like i'm making progress!)

Have you done what he told you? 8mm bungee? I feel like the issue comes from the top more than from the tail...

Maybe move camband slightly higher so that the tank valve can actually go further up. If it fixes it => great. If it doesn't, bungee slightly shorter. But I'm not an expert at all....

I'm taking a course with patrick in a few montha but correct me if I'm wrong, since your head heavy coukd youbnot move the wing forward just a bit to help with that or would that throw everything off

Looks pretty good Stu! Very close to where you need to be. My tanks were about where they needed to be and then I have changed tanks so many times and now trying to get my stages to sit on top of my 108s so they aren't floaty in the back end. Im getting in the pool one more time Saturday to try and get it dialed in once and for all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom