Go Pro Lights - Review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Close up and in the dim/darkness, lights have their place for sure, even more so if you are taking video trying to pull photos. I am by no way against light use at all, I am more speaking about shooting video past 5ft which is where most of the video I like most happens. I dive the Sound as well as many other places with less than stellar viz and/or light penetration. After 5ft the light isnt wide enough to cover the entire FOV and that is where most of my issues arise. But I still prefer my stick (and light if I set it up) over a tray for just my gopro and light.

(Just an example as it isn't a good shot) As you can see in the pic I took below, while a small video light that this guy has in this photo, it doesn't go far, I think it was around 2000 on a fairly clear morning at 70ish ft. When I have tried to video scenes like this at a distance with a video light on it turns out worse...for me. But I am very far from a good video/photographer.
Octo.jpg

This one was with only a video light but with my sony camera. If I didn't use a light here as you know it would be a nice soup green at deeper than 50ft and nice dark shadows since these guys love to sit in the holes.
Wolf.jpg

Your right about the lack of focus with close ups with the gopros but people have done well with an additional lens. So maybe something to look into if you want to go that route.

You are also right in clearer water it does work much better when not using a light as compared to the Sound. This is a still pull and edit from a video, but even close without a light most things turn our decent for a video camera (could be much better but I am still learning color correction). Sure, on this shot being closer a light could have been pulled off and probably looked better, but I have much more video of it swimming at me from about 20 feet away. Instead, when editing my videos together I just color correct the entire portion of video and it looks pretty good to me.
GH010703_1642633309150.JPG

GH010703_1642633309150.jpg

Waterone, do you have a pic of your setup?

I do love our soupy green water with marble sized particulates floating around lol

Waterone, do you have a pic of your setup?
Not currently. I will see if I can grab a few, might be after the weekend though. The stick is one of the most robust sticks I have seen just can't think of the brand. The clamp, ball joints and extensions are parts common to regular underwater camera and tray setups.
I do love our soupy green water with marble sized particulates floating around lol
Your area has some of my favorite diving, just beautiful. Even when it is thick and green, and you can't see a couple feet there is lots of little life to see close up! I get irritated when I think of how long I lived there and didn't dive. I spent a ton of time as a kid on the Hood Canal.

Unfortunately, you'll need about 5000 lumens for the lights to really help you in most conditions. That equals money. LOL! I'm also an amatuer and this setup was about the cheapest setup I could put together that yields good results in most conditions. Besides the cost of the GoPro, the tray was $35 bucks on Amazon and the lights are SeaLife Sea Dragon 2500 lumen video lights. They're about $400 a piece, retail. I also have FLIP filters (which I no longer use) and a FLIP macro lens (which I use quite a bit). I'm into the whole thing for about $1500.

20211117_181857.jpg

I also have FLIP filters (which I no longer use) and a FLIP macro lens (which I use quite a bit).
Now I need to find $200 to pick up the FLIP attachment and macro lens. No cheaper option that includes the attachment.

Is that the light that is also designed for mounting on a mask strap?
No, or at least, it doesn't come with a mask mount in the box. It's a video light, they even sell a snout for macro for it but I haven't tried that.

I used to use Knog lights with my go pro. They were low powered but the salt water killed the buttons no matter how much rinsing you did and they would be useless. Later I added a TG6 to my go pro. I bought two big Blue VL4200P video lights and damn what a difference. Yes they do cost a bit.

However now I get video like this and do not need to edit or colour correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom