Go Pro Lights - Review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken Hydra 1500+ wsr is a good first video light. It is compact, affordable and versatile. Fits easily in your hand or BCD pocket and is light enough to mount on a cold shoe. Between the small size and wide beam, spot beam, and red beam, it can be used as a small or backup video light, primary or backup dive light, or a focus light on a regular camera. Mine goes with me on every dive.

So, been thinking about getting some video lights for my go pro 9, but then looked at the prices and then thinking, no thanks... I like to dabble in UW pics and vids, but i'm not that good at it, dont want to be. just decent is good enough. Never want to be "that guy with the camera set up"

Yall should know what I mean.

Either way, I came across this inexpensive setup and I was wondering if anyone else has it, used it, and have an opinion or review on it.

Next trip is oct 22, so I need to make a decision on it. I figure i'm not losing much for $85, but hate to waste money.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a ref filter? The kit with 3 that I have, i dont feel really bring out much color.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve been using these for the last 18 months, never let me down - if you shop around you will get them for cheeper but this was the first link I found :) Mares EOS 10LRW-Video Set Torch Black | Diveinn

That's when I'm outtttt lol. No offense, I'm just not that committed to it. :rofl3:

I may order the $85 setup to go with my $265 gopro 9 with housing and try my luck.
No, I get it. It was hard for me to drop money on it at first too. I bought a lot of "cheaper" accessories. But when I saw how my footage could be better, I started buying a little better stuff. It was worth it to me, and that's the key. It has to be worth it for you.

In fact, I wish I had just bought decent stuff up front instead of buying low end stuff, learning a lesson on lighting etc., then buying better stuff later anyway. It actually would have saved me money in the long run buying decent gear straight away. LOL!

Get the most powerful lights you can, I got a pair of Chinese 12k Lm lights (Scubalamp) for around $850 each, these were great lit up the scene a good 2-3m Infront of me. These lasted about 2 years before a flood through the button killed them. From here I upgraded to a pair 10k Lm Keldans at around $2k each and I only use a Gopro.

Powerful lights are worth it they turn very average unwatchable footage into something you can work with to produce a good video with real wow! factor that people will enjoy watching.

I realized a long time ago video lights were crucial to getting decent GoPro footage. I started out with cheap Chinese Evolva video lights and was amazed with the results. When functioning properly they were very effective, but they simply didn’t hold up. All four lights either flooded or the switches failed. When the switch fails the light rapidly cycles through the various red and white modes. I was recording an unsuspecting turtle during one of these flashing episodes and it became so perplexed by the impromptu light show it stopped eating, lifted up its head and just stared. I replaced the Evolva lights with (what I thought was) a nice pair of ScubaLamp 1800 video lights, however, BOTH flooded at the switch on the first dive!

Currently I’m using a GoPro, 2x BigBlue VL4000P video lights, SRP tray and a BackScatter FLIP10 (single) with a +10 Close-Up lens attached (no red filter). For what it’s worth, 2x small float arms and 4x ball clamps complete the package. Typically I use the lower settings on the BigBlue lights for closeup shots.

Here are two snapshots from video that were taken 60 seconds apart. I waited for the other diver to finish taking her video before turning on my lights to get footage.

AF387ED1-D509-479B-8FDF-859FE5B06C20.jpeg

Attachments

• C3D6402C-43F3-4EE2-9E5B-FBAD08C96B3C.jpeg
    C3D6402C-43F3-4EE2-9E5B-FBAD08C96B3C.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 67
I was positively surprised by the performance of some Wurkkos lights at my last dive. An order of magnitude cheaper than the competition, I’m tempted to burn €50 to try out their 7000lm light. Sounds too good to be true so probably they will flood or their color index will suck.

I used to use Knog lights with my go pro. They were low powered but the salt water killed the buttons no matter how much rinsing you did and they would be useless. Later I added a TG6 to my go pro. I bought two big Blue VL4200P video lights and damn what a difference. Yes they do cost a bit.

However now I get video like this and do not need to edit or colour correct.

What kind of tripod are you using?

So, been thinking about getting some video lights for my go pro 9, but then looked at the prices and then thinking, no thanks... I like to dabble in UW pics and vids, but i'm not that good at it, dont want to be. just decent is good enough. Never want to be "that guy with the camera set up"

Yall should know what I mean.

Either way, I came across this inexpensive setup and I was wondering if anyone else has it, used it, and have an opinion or review on it.

Next trip is oct 22, so I need to make a decision on it. I figure i'm not losing much for $85, but hate to waste money.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a ref filter? The kit with 3 that I have, i dont feel really bring out much color.

Thanks in advance.

Just came back from Galapagos using that cheap video light. It flooded due to flimsy o-ring design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom