Go Pro Lights - Review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So, been thinking about getting some video lights for my go pro 9, but then looked at the prices and then thinking, no thanks... I like to dabble in UW pics and vids, but i'm not that good at it, dont want to be. just decent is good enough. Never want to be "that guy with the camera set up"

Yall should know what I mean.

Either way, I came across this inexpensive setup and I was wondering if anyone else has it, used it, and have an opinion or review on it.

Next trip is oct 22, so I need to make a decision on it. I figure i'm not losing much for $85, but hate to waste money.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a ref filter? The kit with 3 that I have, i dont feel really bring out much color.

Thanks in advance.

For reference, I bought a pair of Orcatorch d530v. 1000 lumens each. In the open water, they do absolutely nothing. I was checking to see if they are on. In dark “caves” they do light up the scene enough to take a decent video, but I don’t know if a single one would give you good results.

If I had the budget, I would buy a single bigger light and would hope to buy a second later.

So, been thinking about getting some video lights for my go pro 9, but then looked at the prices and then thinking, no thanks... I like to dabble in UW pics and vids, but i'm not that good at it, dont want to be. just decent is good enough. Never want to be "that guy with the camera set up"

Yall should know what I mean.

Either way, I came across this inexpensive setup and I was wondering if anyone else has it, used it, and have an opinion or review on it.

Next trip is oct 22, so I need to make a decision on it. I figure i'm not losing much for $85, but hate to waste money.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a ref filter? The kit with 3 that I have, i dont feel really bring out much color.

Thanks in advance.

Im in the same situation as you, I have ended up using a wide beam dive torch on a soft handle and just aim the go pro to the beams location. Cheaper than dedicated video lights

I use that same handle and have a single NiteScuba Sea 60 mounted on a 360 swivel. It works well enough for what I do. I'll dig around for a picture of it or grab one when I gear up today.

What can go wrong? $85 seems a decent deal just for the tray. Just be realistic about lights. They are never bright enough. Just try to get close enough to the subject to make what you have work.

I personally do not like lights for my gp9 unless it is a close shot or at night. It's easy enough to color correct the footage afterwards.

I also would not use any form of tray if I didn't have my camera under it. I much prefer an extendable arm. But often my GP9 will sit on top of my other camera with two dedicated wide beam video lights. But if it isn't less than a couple feet from the lens, the lights stay off.

Thanks for the replies.

When I read the reviews, it sounded like people had issues with the lights staying mounted. Severl people said they lost the lights on their 1st giant stride.

I too have tried using a flashlight but its too bright or too focused on where you're pointing it. So its overexposed.

I have also used color corrections. I do not like the red filters I have, i need something better, i cant find anything thats different than what I already have (one of those 3 packs with the 3 colored filters)

i had emailed a couple that was on my last trip and they pointed me at their lights... i took one look at them and said there is no way i am spending $500+ on 2 lights and a mount.

I'd like to have better video, but it's just not $500+ important to me.

Bolt snap in the corner for securing and I hook the left arm into a lower ring. Wrist strap for when I'm using it. Works great for me.

Attachments

• 20221004_075659.jpg
    20221004_075659.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20221004_075718.jpg
    20221004_075718.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 84
Even if the brightness you want is hard to get without an expensive bulky setup, seems like any descent light would at least add some color back to the target that is lost with depth as long as you're within, let's say 10 feet. Maybe others with photography experience can confirm that. I'm actually looking for something simple as my first camera that, like you, doesn't add a bunch of task loading to the diving experience.

Back
Top Bottom