First Stage Mirror Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I was doing some refresher and equipment checks in the pool and the DIN to Yoke adapter kept bumping my head. The tank is pretty much as low as it can be. I'm going take in the crotch strap and see if I can lower the soft pack I'm using. Someone said to consider turning the tank around and setting up the hoses on the first stage in a mirror setup. Anyone try that already? Other than weird looks from people, did it present issues? I've also heard people have had luck with the first on the normal side but the tank rotated so the tank valve is pointed away from directly at the back of the head and rotate the turret to compensate hose routing? Any advice appreciated.

I should add, the reg is setup turret up, but the DIN fitting is pretty centered so I don't think pointing the turret down will help much.

The yoke knob on the adapter will stick out as well on the backwards setup. (I suspect even moreso.) I would try turret down, even though it's a bit of a pain to swap hoses around.

To lower the valve further, you'll probably need to loosen the shoulder straps a little. Make sure you can still reach the valve in the water.

The lowest clearance option would be a yoke conversion. Unfortunately, it usually costs far more than an adapter, and you may have to get your LDS involved.

(Actually a DIN tank would be the lowest clearance, but presumably that's not an option.)

Hopefully on my trip they have tank valves with the DIN inserts (not sure the technical name).

What about going with the 5th port long hose setup. With the reg angled towards the right hip, do you think that would give some more clearance on the top?

I favor the 5th port LH, but I doubt you'd gain appreciable clearance over the low turret. I just like the routing a bit better, especially the primary and SPG.

image.png

Hopefully on my trip they have tank valves with the DIN inserts (not sure the technical name).
Pro or convertible valves. Just let them know in advance, they'll usually work it out.

I favor the 5th port LH, but I doubt you'd gain appreciable clearance over the low turret. I just like the routing a bit better, especially the primary and SPG.
I'm definitely gonna give it a try. With turret up, I felt like I could use a couple more inches on the long hose. I could rotate my head completely to the left but the length was pretty much max'ed out. This was with one of the faux cannister light sticks as a routing aid on my right hip.

So, I was doing some refresher and equipment checks in the pool and the DIN to Yoke adapter kept bumping my head. The tank is pretty much as low as it can be. I'm going take in the crotch strap and see if I can lower the soft pack I'm using. Someone said to consider turning the tank around and setting up the hoses on the first stage in a mirror setup. Anyone try that already?
Yes, I did it for a brief while many years ago when I was using a flat backplate which put the tank valve very close to the back of my head. But I would definitely point the turret down. If you are using a longer primary hose (which I do) you can point the turret down and to the right with the primary hose on the end port, like the photo inquisit posted.

The downside is that the tank valve is now on the left and maybe someone could get confused turning it on/off, but if you can live with that, it's a decent temporary work around. The best thing would be to ditch the adapter. I'm sure you already know that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom