Light setup and general questions about Divevolk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there-

I'm looking at getting a Divevolk housing for my iPhone 13. My primary use case is just snapping photos and some videos on recreational dives to share on social media. In the past I've used a very simple setup with a Gopro Hero7 Black (shooting just video) with a single Sola 1200 (in flood mode, mounted on the back of my hand with their Goodman-style glove, for day and night dives). This setup was fine for wide angle (video), pretty crap for macro (anything), and so-so for grabbing screenshots from the video for stills (see attached examples). I found that using the flood without a filter worked much better than no flood + red filter.

I've found that stills are more interesting than video for most non-divers - people will click through an album of 10 stills, but probably won't bother watching a 3 minute video. So I'd like to improve my ability to shoot photos, but still retain the flexibility to shoot video. The Divevolk seems to tick a lot of boxes that way (better stills than GoPro, probably equally good video). Plus I love the simplicity of it - everything on one device, native apps, native editing, sharing, etc. Fewer things to worry about charging, etc. Does this make more sense than trying to get better stills out of the GoPro with some sort of lens setup to correct for its wide angle?

My main questions are around lighting. The Sola 1200 flood had been pretty good for me (though battery life is starting to be an issue). If I added another flood on a tray for the Divevolk (thinking of their 1-arm tray with maybe another Sola flood or a BigBlue on it to complement the one on my hand), would that be a decent setup without having to fuss with strobes and such? I assume I wouldn't need a red filter at that point since the floods would provide all the necessary light? (That would also provide a nice way of carrying redundant light sources for night dives.)

Is the Divevolk macro lens useful? Or are the iPhone's lenses adequate for macro? Any other thoughts/advice/sanity check are most welcome.

Lastly, a somewhat complicated bonus question(s). The last shot below is from a night dive where the DM had some sort of blue/UV flashlight. He lit up the anemone and I videoed it with the Gopro without my light on. It was really cool, and I'd love to have that option once in a while. I've read a bit about the Sola Nightsea, but I'm confused about the yellow filters for your mask and camera - are those strictly necessary? Because I didn't have any yellow filter to get the shot below. If I can get something decent w/out the yellow filter, would it make sense go with the Nightsea as the new light? If I understand correctly I can put a yellow filter on the light itself to get normal white light (default setup), but then remove it to get UV shots? And maybe down the road add a yellow filter to the Divevolk lens attachment?

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 114
I use the Divevolk with a light. You can buy a shoe mounted ball and attach your light to it like I have in the photo below. The wide angle lens is kind of redundant since my S22+ phone has a pretty good wide angle already. The macro and red lens are a must and on the Divevolk you can stack the two.
20221128_144932.jpg

I use the Divevolk with a light. You can buy a shoe mounted ball and attach your light to it like I have in the photo below. The wide angle lens is kind of redundant since my S22+ phone has a pretty good wide angle already. The macro and red lens are a must and on the Divevolk you can stack the two.
Thanks - so sounds like the macro lens is worth it. When would you typically need to stack the macro with a red filter since you have the flood light?

Thanks - so sounds like the macro lens is worth it. When would you typically need to stack the macro with a red filter since you have the flood light?
I usually stack the red with the wide angle when I use it. I have used the red and macro for pictures of skittish creatures where you don't use a light or don't want to scare them off with a light or you need the dark backround, etc. etc. you get it.

Does the macro lens work with an iPhone 13 Pro?
I. initially bought the wide-angle lens but returned it for two reasons: 1. DiveVolk says the wide-angle isn’t suitable for a camera with a dedicated wide-angle lens. 2. DiveVolk lens and filters attach to the housing via an extension clamp. I felt the wide-angle lens was too heavy to be held in place by the extension clamp. I had concerns that moving the wide-angle lens up and down (to shoot with and without it) might loosen the expansion clamp, and result in the rig coming apart. This problem was demonstrated by WaterTrek 360 in his YouTube video DiveVolk Wide Angle Lens… The good, the bad, and the ugly. Sticking with just my iPhone 13 Pro wide-angle lens was satisfactory for me.

View attachment 758611
Is this divevolk's light? I was looking at their enclosure with 2x 5000lm light package but a bit sceptical since I haven't seen any reviews of their lights... please let me know your opinion if that's indeed the divevolk light. Thanks.

The iPhone 13 Pro has both wide angle and macro capabilities; I'm not sure about the non-"Pro" models. You'd want to read up on your particular model's capabilities before ordering, but I haven't found use for the Divevolk wide attachment on the 14 pro max, which has a "superwide" lens.

As far as the light goes--any will do (n.b., though, you can't use an iPhone with strobes--no way to trigger it, as far as I know). You're correct that if you're using lights, you don't need the red filter. However, the ability of the Apple cameras to take good pictures in low light is baffling, and the red filter can be useful down to 10m or more if there's good ambient light, so I think the red filter is worth having (I think you need the filter arm in order to secure the tray mount to the housing). Matias Lebo has some thoughtful reviews of Divevolk products on youtube, by the way, to include a recent one with the Divevolk lights and new accessories. As far as having a UV light as primary, I wouldn't do it, but I think you've accurately described what would be involved.

Is this divevolk's light? I was looking at their enclosure with 2x 5000lm light package but a bit sceptical since I haven't seen any reviews of their lights... please let me know your opinion if that's indeed the divevolk light. Thanks.
The light in the photo is a Big Blue.

Hi Mountainsean,

We posted our review of the DiveVolk 4 with iPhone 13 ProMax on another thread, but since our review addresses your questions about macro and wide angle, I will repost it here.

Over 30 days of shore diving on Bonaire, we tested the housing, shooting stills and videos with lights and also using only available light.

We were impressed enough with the image quality using only available light that we made the entire video using only available light clips. It is incredible what a smartphone's computational imagery can do with shadow detail, saturation, color balance, and sharpness underwater down to about 40 feet. After that... use lights.

Back
Top Bottom