Question Systematic review on the pros and cons of neoprene mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello there,

I'm an active scuba diver and to-be freediver (PADI AOW and GUE Fundies; AIDA 2 pool qualified, expecting OW class soon), and I'm ordering my first neoprene mask strap very soon (after a hard mental battle over which logo I shall print on my strap). Before putting it on my primary mask, may I ask if anyone knows there is an up-to-date systematic review on the benefits and disadvantages of using a neoprene mask strap, over rubber strap (comes default for most brands) and others such as rope strap? I find this question particularly because there are many scuba divers (almost all) using neoprene straps, but I do not see such trend in freedivers community and many just use the default rubber strap. Please find below my current knowledge on neoprene strap which is collected from divers around me and the internet:

- Neoprene strap is harder to break and almost lasts forever (agree but would it really never break, even under physical stress and/or lack of maintenance);
- Neoprene strap protects the hair from dangling (I'm short hair but this is anyway a boon);
- Neoprene strap gives positive buoyancy to the mask so the mask does not sink (may be useful for mask removal exercise in scuba, and rescue drill in freediving; I'm using an Apollo biometal with tempered glass, so feel it quite negatively buoyant).

Kindly let me know if there is any point not mentioned, or any reason why scuba divers and freedivers could use different mask strap materials.

Thanks in advance for any reply and help!

My tech instructor strongly recommended switching to the neoprene/webbing/velcro style instead of the stock silicone straps because of the chance of silicone straps breaking. I tried it but personally never liked them, losing the stretchyness of silicone makes them harder to get on and off. I don't like fussing with the adjustment and velcro. I've also never had a silicone strap snap, though I admit it's possible.

Neoprene IS more comfortable to wear once adjusted and doesn't stick to hoods or hair like the silicone strap does.

I dive a standard silicone strap with a neoprene pad on the back like this. Have for years. Seems the best of both worlds.
Neoprene-Soft-Scuba-Diving-Mask-Strap-Cover-Swimming-Surfing-Dive-Snorkeling-Hair-Strap-Cover-Wrapper-Replacement.jpg

Always been meaning to try this, idea via NJScuba.net:
Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 9.52.34 AM.png

My tech instructor strongly recommended switching to the neoprene/webbing/velcro style instead of the stock silicone straps because of the chance of silicone straps breaking. I tried it but personally never liked them, losing the stretchyness of silicone makes them harder to get on and off. I don't like fussing with the adjustment and velcro. I've also never had a silicone strap snap, though I admit it's possible.

Neoprene IS more comfortable to wear once adjusted and doesn't stick to hoods or hair like the silicone strap does.

I dive a standard silicone strap with a neoprene pad on the back like this. Have for years. Seems the best of both worlds.
Neoprene-Soft-Scuba-Diving-Mask-Strap-Cover-Swimming-Surfing-Dive-Snorkeling-Hair-Strap-Cover-Wrapper-Replacement.jpg

Always been meaning to try this, idea via NJScuba.net:
View attachment 806642
I've seen the last example for quite many times nowadays. This one uses surgical tubes, what are people's opinion over those with other fabrics eg. threads, ropes etc?

I just bought one of Aqualung's Fast Strap to try out on my new mask, and after the first dive with it bought two more - one for my backup mask and one for my spare mask :)

[edit: add link]

I just bought one of Aqualung's Fast Strap to try out on my new mask, and after the first dive with it bought two more - one for my backup mask and one for my spare mask :)

I think my Decathlon snorkel mask from 2017 also used this kind of strap, despite it has been worn down by time. Have considered this option as well, it's just that I haven't found one I like.

I don’t like neoprene straps and don’t really care for standard silicone/rubber straps. Elastic as mentioned above is so much nicer, I use elastic that comes with SP D mask.

How secure do they feel? Do you wear a hood? By the looks of them, I would think they would be slippery over a hood and might fall off easily.

How secure do they feel? Do you wear a hood? By the looks of them, I would think they would be slippery over a hood and might fall off easily.

I've had no issue at all. Most of my diving is in <18ºC water, so pretty much always with a hood.

Back
Top Bottom