Question Systematic review on the pros and cons of neoprene mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am a quite experienced diver, but still use the standard silicone straps. They work very well, even with long hair and no hoods. Never had any problem with it.
So I don't see any need to move to neoprene (have tried, but prefer silicone straps).
The idea that standard straps are for beginners is also a myth and ********. :D

Hello there,

I'm an active scuba diver and to-be freediver (PADI AOW and GUE Fundies; AIDA 2 pool qualified, expecting OW class soon), and I'm ordering my first neoprene mask strap very soon (after a hard mental battle over which logo I shall print on my strap). Before putting it on my primary mask, may I ask if anyone knows there is an up-to-date systematic review on the benefits and disadvantages of using a neoprene mask strap, over rubber strap (comes default for most brands) and others such as rope strap? I find this question particularly because there are many scuba divers (almost all) using neoprene straps, but I do not see such trend in freedivers community and many just use the default rubber strap. Please find below my current knowledge on neoprene strap which is collected from divers around me and the internet:

- Neoprene strap is harder to break and almost lasts forever (agree but would it really never break, even under physical stress and/or lack of maintenance);
- Neoprene strap protects the hair from dangling (I'm short hair but this is anyway a boon);
- Neoprene strap gives positive buoyancy to the mask so the mask does not sink (may be useful for mask removal exercise in scuba, and rescue drill in freediving; I'm using an Apollo biometal with tempered glass, so feel it quite negatively buoyant).

Kindly let me know if there is any point not mentioned, or any reason why scuba divers and freedivers could use different mask strap materials.

Thanks in advance for any reply and help!
In addition to the points you mention:

- in case you find yourself having to switch masks for whatever reason, less chance of hair entanglement while puting on the spare mask.
- true, the strap has slightly positive buoyancy, but it will only delay most the masks from sinking, not stop them
- donning you mask is easier, slightly more streamlined
- one con I see with cover straps vs slap straps, the original mask strap still retains it's weak points
- for me, straps work even better with a hood
- it's stylish :cool:. To piss off some friends, I made a strap saying "GUE diver PADI specialization".

In addition to the points you mention:

- in case you find yourself having to switch masks for whatever reason, less chance of hair entanglement while puting on the spare mask.
- true, the strap has slightly positive buoyancy, but it will only delay most the masks from sinking, not stop them
- donning you mask is easier, slightly more streamlined
- one con I see with cover straps vs slap straps, the original mask strap still retains it's weak points
- for me, straps work even better with a hood
- it's stylish :cool:. To piss off some friends, I made a strap saying "GUE diver PADI specialization".
It's stylish - only in Black :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom