Regulators 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@n733lk: FYI, the terms "balanced" and "unbalanced" can be applied to either the first or second stage.

This line of questioning is well-traveled territory.

Rather than re-hash all of the pros and cons of the various reg designs, you might find this previous SB thread, which focuses on balanced/unbalanced second stages, to be informative. There's a little bit of info on balanced/unbalanced first stages as well.

There's also this SB thread about balanced/unbalanced Sherwood first stages. halocline's post #6 has some general info about balanced/unbalanced first stages that you might find helpful.

How does a "balanced" reg differ from a "non-balanced" reg?

A balanced reg means that the valves open just as easily regardless of pressure. On an unbalanced reg, as the pressure increases or decreases the effort necessary to open the valve will also increase and decrease slightly. There are two valves, one in each stage and either one can be balanced or unbalanced. Unbalanced regs can be cheaper to buy, cheaper to service and theoretically are more reliable since they are simpler. In the old days, before SPG's, divers also used to use them to gauge the amount of air left in their tanks. Balanced regs usually breathe slightly better.

I've got some of both and I don't think it matters that much. Generally, I would opt for a balanced reg, as easier breathing is always nice. Also for deep diving beyond 100' I would opt for a balanced regulator as the air is thicker at those depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom