Regulators 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought about it, at the time it was over my head. My friend does his own 109's though, he took it apart for me so we could clean it. He didn't have the spare parts though so I took it to the LDS.
Got any advice on getting SP parts?
I'm not a Scubapro DIY reg-servicing guy, but if I were...
The DIY forum here on SB is an excellent resource. I know that some of the guys did a group-buy of the exhaust tees and diaphragm covers. O-rings can be sourced from your preferred online retailer, since the DIY folks have been nice enough to put together a list of the appropriate o-ring sizes. awap has a punch that he uses to make his own LP seats for that particular second stage. The parts for a typical overhaul on the 109 should cost you less than a dollar.
What's the prerequisites to take a HOG repair tech course?
HOG reg owners wanting to sign up for the Dive Right In Scuba HOG reg repair course are required to have some sort of tech certification. I understand the reason DRIS/HOG specified that prerequisite, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Even though I have experience working on my own regs (Apeks, Aqualung), I wouldn't be allowed to take the course since I don't possess any tech certifications. On a separate note, I wish that the manufacturer made an official reg servicing manual available as a free download to HOG reg owners. And, yes, I'm aware that the Apeks servicing manuals can be used to service the HOG regs.

HOG reg owners wanting to sign up for the Dive Right In Scuba HOG reg repair course are required to have some sort of tech certification. I understand the reason DRIS/HOG specified that prerequisite, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Even though I have experience working on my own regs (Apeks, Aqualung), I wouldn't be allowed to take the course since I don't possess any tech certifications. On a separate note, I wish that the manufacturer made an official reg servicing manual available as a free download to HOG reg owners. And, yes, I'm aware that the Apeks servicing manuals can be used to service the HOG regs.

I never understood the reason behind that requirement... You do not need to be a tech diver to have say 10 regs in your fleet. Having Advancen Nitrox with Deco procedures does not guarantee you have abilities in servicing your regs:) HOG gives me no edge over Apeks or Zeagle for which I can buy parts and have the manuals available.

Tech = regulator technician.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...n7jgBQ&usg=AFQjCNHEd06l3_94C4sByLTLL4tYy8qxrg

Well, aren't I the moron today.

So they give an idiot an OW Cert
but you have to climb piano wire by your teeth if you want to learn something
spraying money out of your arse.

And it all leads to stuff like Azrael getting on here spouting uninformed spouting
and making bloody nicknames

You're kiddin aren't ya.

Crikey!

Last edited:
I realize that I am echoing what some folks have already said(and maybe not echoing some others), but either way, this is my take on regs, used and otherwise. I love HOG regulators both because they work great, and because of the DIY parts/training, but I started out buying used regs and continue to do so when the price is right and when they will meet my needs.

I think for your purposes, a good used reg set located on craigslist, your LDS, the classifieds on this or other forums, or even a thrift shop should serve you well if you do your homework prior to buying, and verify its serviceability prior to depending on it to keep you alive underwater.

I have obtained good serviceable used regs from every source listed above (except an LDS). The LDS gets may not have made the sale on my regulators, but they get my business anytime I need maintenance done that I deem to be over my head (or I cannot get parts).

By doing your homework, I mean first of all you should make sure the reg will suit your type of diving. As others have said, if you plan to dive cold water, you might want to stick it out for environmentally sealed regs, or a model that can be environmentally sealed. If you plan to do a lot of deep diving, maybe you want second stages you can adjust the breathing effort on. Also, if you plan to have your gear serviced at a particular shop, make sure that shop will service the brand of regulator you intend to buy prior to purchasing it, or have an alternate shop/plan in mind. Lastly, you should probably avoid buying a used regulator for which parts are difficult to find. Dacor regulators are a good example of this. The company went out of business awhile back and repair parts tend to be harder to find now...

The main word of caution I will leave you with is that this is an addiction!!! If you are not careful, soon you will have enough stuff on hand for you and two or three friends to dive, and possibly a very unhappy spouse or significant other!!!

Safe Diving!!!

Will

If you want a good price on decent gear for recreational diving also look at Edge-gear. HOG's sister company geared more towards the recreational diver. Sealed diaphragm 1st stages, balanced adjustable pirmary, and balanced octo. I'm a dealer and not only do I offer free shipping in the US I will also assemble, bench test, and adjust the reg before it's sent at no extra charge.

In addition we have a traditional jacket BC and a back inflate at very good prices. I offer deals to SB members and can put a package together that will more than meet your needs for a great price. Visit my website, fill a cart, and ask for a quote. You do not need to spend an arm and a leg for new quality gear. We also have a 50% trade in deal on BC's. In that if you buy an Edge Freedom BC and down the road decide to move to the Stealth you can trade in your Freedom for 50% off the new one.

@n733lk: The same manufacturer produces Edge and HOG brand gear. Here's a link to the manufacturer website.
The Edge line is oriented toward recreational divers, whereas the HOG line is marketed to technical divers. Both brands target the value/budget-conscious consumer.
Both lines are fairly new. The HOG brand has gotten more "talk time" here on ScubaBoard due to the feature set of the HOG regulators and wings being very comparable to that of higher-end, more costly gear sold by other manufacturers.

Any major brand's regulator will be fine, even their bottom of the line. It might breathe a little harder due to its unbalanced design, but they are not going to skimp on safety. There are no Yugos or Pintos out there or else that brand will be pretty much gone in an instant. This is a 'selling thrills and features' w/o regard for safety as it was in the world of Corvairs and or any of those deathtraps from the 60's and 70's.

Back
Top Bottom