Regulator Repair or Replace? That is the Question.

Repair or replace? What would you do in my situation?

• Buy an inexpensive, new one each year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
Nobody but me changes my tank. I'm polite, and the DM's usually don't get huffy about it. If I'm on a boat where the tanks are refilled from a central large tank during the Surface Interval, I'm religious about removing my first stage, drying the sealing area, and recapping the air opening while it's lying wet on my bcc.

:daydream:
Thank you!! I'm adding this to my practices.

And now that I'm thinking of it, there have been times when I've been returning to my regs between "boat guy" changing over my tanks and putting my cap back on. I'll hopefully be far more aware and diligent about it from now on.

Never knew that my reg had free parts for life. I don't think it does. But even if it does, okay. That covers about $10 of the repair. I usually service the reg every couple of years, but I had it serviced last year and in my shop this year because I was running into problems with a free-flow. We figured out that the swivel I recently put on it was probably causing the free-flow. The LDS does not do the repairs, they send the unit out.

Jay, if you bought your Legend from an authorized Aqualung dealer, and get it serviced annually by an authorized Aqualung service center, you get free parts for life. It's a well known Aqualung program, all authorized AL dealers know about it and it should have been a selling point that was shared with you when you bought the reg.

The idea for the free parts is that you get the reg "inspected" on odd years (1st, 3rd, etc), so no parts would need replacing then, and "overhauled" on the even years... when AL would comp the parts, you only pay for labor. If your shop is replacing parts every year... that's like changing your oil every 1000 miles. Aqualung doesn't even recommend that for your reg.

Try googling "Aqualung Legend free parts for life" and see what pops up.

I have a Legend myself, and I live in So Cal. The last time I had mine overhauled, at a shop in Long Beach (very popular place, and an Aqualung dealer... you might want to take your reg there instead of having it "sent out" by your local shop), they charged $35 per stage for labor, a total of $105. If I had to pay for parts, the total would have been $180. It sounds like your shop might have sent your reg to the LB shop and then charged you an extra $25 for their effort.

So here's a question/situation that I hope I will get some insight to:
I just left my LDS and picked up my newly serviced reg (Aqualung Legend). You know, the same LDS I had my reg serviced at one year ago. I got it back the same as I always do. They give you the little read out with that neat little graph that shows all of this tech'y information that only repair techs and reg geeks know about, but is probably important. Then there is that little plastic zip baggie with all of those "O" rings and little parts in it that are probably worth $3 new. And then theres the most important part they give you besides your reg: THE BILL!

Wow! $206 for a reg service. It was about the same last year. Maybe about $16 cheaper last year. I always wrote it off as no big deal. It's my reg and it's my life down there. But as I was driving home I got to wondering... Wouldn't it be the same amount of money to just by a cheap Mares or Cressi, $200 reg every year instead of a service? I mean in 2 years I have already spent $400 in repairs!
In 3 years I've already spent in repairs what the regulator costs. And then in 5-10 years what do we do? Replace the regulator with a newer (better) one. I'm a recreational diver and don't do anything technical. I'm asking because I seriously don't know. Yes, my reg is better than some of those cheaper ones. But hey, do I need that? The cheaper regs are made for recreational use and it's not like they are junk. They probably don't last as long but hey, that's not the issue. I would use it for one year and toss it or sell it on eBay for a few bucks.

I'd be interested to know what other people's thoughts are. Especially those of a qualified reg service person. Could service personnel be pricing themselves out of business?

I'm going to start not by telling you what to do...but what I do...I've been diving since 1980...with very few exceptions...I do not service my regulators...period...Dive Gear Express in FLA gets the ''lions share'' of my business...has for years...you can buy a ''Deep Six'' three piece reg set...first...second...hose length of your choice...for little more than what your paying ANNUALLY to have your reg set serviced...my Deep Six reg sets will do everything your ultra expensive Legend reg set will do and in some cases better...

Post dive I make sure that all my gear is properly washed/rinsed/dried/inspected/calibrated if need be/properly stored...I check my reg sets regularly with an IP gauge...I log anywhere from 20/40 dives per season...and with the exception of my rebreather regs...I replace all my regs/hoses/SPG's after 3 years...

I'm reg service certified on Poseidon/ScubaPro/Sherwood/Genesis...and a couple others...and although I have serviced many reg sets over the years...I leave mine alone...

Reg sets like everything else ''scuba'' is gear that is considered consumable...with a finite life span...and considering where most of it is manufactured...it should be replaced...I cycle through every piece of gear I own on a regular basis...

My local area is full of divers who are diving my re-cycled gear...fairly sold...fairly bought...and enjoyed...

If every three or four years you're going to ''pay for your gear again'' in service costs...you may as well be buying new gear...

Again...with the exception of my rebreather I have no ''brand of choice''...my preference has always been the best gear at the best price...regardless of brand...and as far as brands...I've dove them all...
Safe Diving...Warren

I’m starting to think the best way to go is to buy all the used regs that get sold by the people who buy new every few years to avoid service cost.
Find a good black market source for rebuild kits and learn to do it yourself.
This pretty much what I do.
Some of my favorite reg sets were given to me for free by people who gave up diving and the old “junk” was just sitting in a box in the garage. My Conshelf 21 is a good example. Got a $30 kit from North East Scuba Supply and rebuilt it myself. I use the crap out of that reg and going on 5 years now. Holds IP great, no reason to screw with it.

Find a new shop, or mail your regs in for service somewhere. It should be like $30/stage plus parts. Even if you buy a new reg it’s still gonna need regular service, so I’m not sure what gettinga new reg will save you.

I service my own regs - I have ever since the first time I brought my new-used regs to a tech in LA (I was brand new to diving) and got them back with the 1st stage leaking, and was told “it’s fine to use, just don’t leave the gas on before/after dives”. No parts in either second stage and I paid something like $100 for the first stage.

Find a new shop, or mail your regs in for service somewhere. It should be like $30/stage plus parts. Even if you buy a new reg it’s still gonna need regular service, so I’m not sure what gettinga new reg will save you.

I service my own regs - I have ever since the first time I brought my new-used regs to a tech in LA (I was brand new to diving) and got them back with the 1st stage leaking, and was told “it’s fine to use, just don’t leave the gas on before/after dives”. No parts in either second stage and I paid something like $100 for the first stage.
Why “should” it be $30 a stage? I find it quite frankly amusing that people spend $1000 on a reg and then whine if the technician makes more than minimum wage.

because that is the price the free market has decided. have to keep the price reasonable or you get more of the casual divers renting when needed instead of buying regs, some opting to just buy regs online and then replace when they stop working, and the frequent divers going DIY. all three mean lost revenue for a conventional brick and mortar LDS. most people aren't spending 1000 on a titanium reg either.

I’m starting to think the best way to go is to buy all the used regs that get sold by the people who buy new every few years to avoid service cost.
Find a good black market source for rebuild kits and learn to do it yourself.
This pretty much what I do.
Some of my favorite reg sets were given to me for free by people who gave up diving and the old “junk” was just sitting in a box in the garage. My Conshelf 21 is a good example. Got a $30 kit from North East Scuba Supply and rebuilt it myself. I use the crap out of that reg and going on 5 years now. Holds IP great, no reason to screw with it.

+1 Eric! I use Scubapro MkV/ 109 regs bought on ebay for peanuts. Less than $100.00 and an hours time I convert the 109's to 156's, rebuild the 1st stage and get easy breathing, reliable regulators. I have 4 of those regs now, 2 for my ID's 1 for my wife and one spare. This year I bought a USD Calypso J for my pony bottle. That reg works so well I haven't even touched yet!

+1 Eric! I use Scubapro MkV/ 109 regs bought on ebay for peanuts. Less than $100.00 and an hours time I convert the 109's to 156's, rebuild the 1st stage and get easy breathing, reliable regulators. I have 4 of those regs now, 2 for my ID's 1 for my wife and one spare. This year I bought a USD Calypso J for my pony bottle. That reg works so well I haven't even touched yet!

I bought my girlfriend a set of legends. She was very disappointed, because the overhauled 109's (g250 diaphragm and internals) with mk5's I gave her to start out with a year ago breathe better than the aqualung legends straight from the factory. Ok, it's probably a problem that I could easily fix by adjusting the reg properly. But it's still pretty insane to me that regs from the 70's and 80's perform better than top notch high end regulators straight from the box. Or someone at the aqualung factory who is setting up the regs should get fired. Like for real.

and too high means regulator hoses/lungs explode.

Well, the second stage should freeflow weeeelll before the explodey-lungs-of-death scenario, in most cases...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom