Regulator Repair or Replace? That is the Question.

Repair or replace? What would you do in my situation?

• Buy an inexpensive, new one each year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe another question is inspect or service. Many regs get serviced much more frequently than required and many regs have problems immediately after service. Why not learn to inspect them yourself to determine if service is really necessary. There is some great information in this thread:
Regulator checklist and inspection
You are correct. rsingler also recommended the same thing. I am going to be more diligent in my inspection from now on. Thanks.

My solution after getting a $300.+ bill for 3 regulator overhauls was to learn to service them myself. Now for less than $100.00 in parts and a one time cost of a $200.00 for tools and equipment I overhaul my regs myself. Even overhauled my old double hose reg. Using new materials like silicone instead of the old rubber parts it breathes easier than it ever did. Regulators are VERY simple devices and are very easy to work on with the right tools and a little reading. My only regret was not starting to do my own years ago.

Where did you learn this?

@AfterDark can give his story, but it's probably like mine, I've been making my living for most of my life fixing things. They are just another piece of gear that needs attention.

In my case I got my origional '62 Nemrod Snark III after my dad passed, didn't know he kept it, and no one would serviced it so with my general knowledge of non scuba regulators, basic mechanical skills, and assistance from DIY and vintage divers on ScubaBoard. I liked it so much I picked other old regs and got them running for fun and backup, I've got to stop.

My go to regs are Sherwood, they are reasonabally priced and the environmental seal feature make for a long repair cycle before the first is rebuilt. With the balanced first, the old unbalanced seconds work well and are drop dead simple to work on.

Bob

Where did you learn this?
What Bob posted + I was advised to read Regulator Savvy bought it read it and learned a lot. I fix / maintain everything I own, the cars, the boiler, the solar system, I built the PC I'm using to post. They used to call us "jack of all trades master of none". If I had been born 10-15 early I probably would have learned to dive by reading the New Science Of Skin and Scuba Diving.

What Bob posted + I was advised to read Regulator Savvy bought it read it and learned a lot. I fix / maintain everything I own, the cars, the boiler, the solar system, I built the PC I'm using to post. They used to call us "jack of all trades master of none". If I had been born 10-15 early I probably would have learned to dive by reading the New Science Of Skin and Scuba Diving.
Thanks!

You remind me of my little brother, he's the family 'go to' person whenever anyone needs something fixed, built, debugged, or otherwise sorted out. He built the computer (and the custom router, firewall, and wired the entire house...every room.... with Ethernet cabling, with a dual network supporting cable modem and DSL modem) I'm posting with as well. :) I do help, somewhat, I order ...or run to the store to fetch...whatever he says we need...and I hand him the correct screwdriver or aim the flashlight. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom