Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airtech77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking the first and last reg I will ever have to buy, I have never dived with anything other then rentals and i need help. I want something that will be Ice dive and trimix, capable without breaking the bank. SeaElite?(very cheap) Beauchat?(nice website) I have been researching for days and am still lost (or maybe just cheap). I want to progress to commercial and technical diving so I want equipment that I won't have to upgrade.

Thanks the reviews look great for this reg.

For commercial diving you will not need your own reg set, unless you plan on mounting it to the front of whatever the standard Kirby Morgan helmet is these days. If you want a regulator that is commercial/military quality, then get an Aqualung regulator. AFAIK Aqualung still makes all of Kirby Morgan's regulators, or at least they used to make them. The conshelf series is approved by the U.S. Navy to 190 FSW for air, which is way deeper than you would ever want to dive air (if you are smart, which I am sure you are) anyway. This means that it would be a great reg for mixed gas diving (technical type stuff) additionally.

Or MK17/G250V or, if you want to spend more and get a metal 2nd stage, try the new A700 (or whatever it is)

Of course you could also go on ebay and get a MK5 or 10 or 15 or 20 and a G250 or balanced adjustable or D400 or G500. I see MK10/G250s all the time for around $150, sometimes quite a bit less. You just need to find someone you trust to rebuild it, but that's an issue for new regs too.

I have never met someone who dives trimix and owns less than half a dozen regs... Most of the regs on the market are very good. However, you have to look at your individual needs. You want to do ice dives... so, you need something that is environmentally sealed and is designed for very cold temperatures. You say that you want it for trimix... that tells me that you want to go very deep. You need a good performer at depth.

The best thing to do is shop around. However, with the ambitions that you have stated, you will be buying more than one regulator, whether it be multiples of one model or several different models.

I have never met someone who dives trimix and owns less than half a dozen regs... Most of the regs on the market are very good. However, you have to look at your individual needs. You want to do ice dives... so, you need something that is environmentally sealed and is designed for very cold temperatures. You say that you want it for trimix... that tells me that you want to go very deep. You need a good performer at depth.

The best thing to do is shop around. However, with the ambitions that you have stated, you will be buying more than one regulator, whether it be multiples of one model or several different models.

This is very true. Heck, I don't even dive mix and I have an entire locker full of regulators. I think they are breeding in there like chrome-plated bunnies...

I fine goal for a spouse but totally unnecessary for a regulator. If you stay with scuba, you will probably manage to collect a number of regulators for various reasons.

A bit OT, but the words "cheap" and "technical" don't quite go together.

That said, an environment-sealed diaphragm reg with a metal 2nd would be nice.
(but I'm from the tropics, so my opinion is limited :D )

Back
Top Bottom