picking out a new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsfinn57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently diving a 16 yo sp mk17 in a primary donate configuration. I am going to get a new reg and keep this one as a back up. I am considering sidemount and want a rotating turret and fifth lp port. I dive about 50 times a year in mostly tropical waters and may possibly do tech training but have no interest in cave diving or deep penetration into wrecks. Currently considering atomic st1, dive rite x1 xt4, apex xtx50 and deep 6. Money isn't an issue in my decision process . The local dive shops (i'm in the desert) sell atomic apex only so the others require shipping. I would appreciate any thoughts.

At the end of the day, any of the regs you mention will serve you well. With the exception of Apex, I've used them all. These days I'm using Deep6. They are well-built and I like the option of servicing them myself. If self service isn't your cup of tea, Deep6 will gladly service them for you, and you've still got a great reg that performs as well as the more expensive options. Also, I used to be in the piston reg camp. With the move to Deep6 (sealed diaphragm), I've come to appreciate not having salt, grit, and dead sea critters in my ambient chamber!

Deep 6 Signature has the fifth port and rotation. Service is by mail (or self-service) but it's fantastic. Off your list I've also used Atomic, and the ST1 is a nice regulator for sure. Even discounting money service on any sealed Atomic is a little more involved so will take a bit longer but is available local to you so I think a case could be made either way. Of course you've got one diaphragm design and one piston so you could spend a few hours reading about the various holy wars if you want to.

Apeks DST's, with 5th port. Super reliable, easy to service. Love mine.

If money isn't a deciding factor, why not stick with Scubapro? Hard to beat the mk25/G260 regulator setup. High performance, robust, WOB is effortless. But as others have said, you can't go wrong with many of the brands you listed. I also really like the Dive Rite regs and use the XT1 first stage on a lot of my setups (SM, stages, etc.).

It may sound a bit old school, but buy the best rated reg you can afford. You will not regret the investment

It's hard to beat the Mk17 in terms of quality and performance. If you go sidemount you will need two regulators. The Mk19 or Mk25 are both turret designs appropriate for sidemount.

I do have to say that sidemount is not always a great configuration choice for boat diving, shore diving, or other non-technical / non-cave diving scenarios. It can be cumbersome and add complexity to your diving. You should check with your typical dive operators for your tropical destinations to see what they suggest on this option.

You can get similar trim and posture with a BP & Wing set up to replace a traditional BC, if that is part of the alure to non-tech sidemount.

Maybe start out by sticking with your Mk17 as the primary regulator and add a slung pony bottle (30 or 40cf) with a Mk25 or Mk19 on it. You can often rent these tanks at your destination. (bring your own sling hardware; just a steel strap, wedding, and a couple of bolt snaps) If you later decide on full sidemount you already have one of the appropriate regulators on hand.

To all of you that say "they perform well"
At the end of the day, any of the regs you mention will serve you well. With the exception of Apex, I've used them all. These days I'm using Deep6. They are well-built and I like the option of servicing them myself. If self service isn't your cup of tea, Deep6 will gladly service them for you, and you've still got a great reg that performs as well as the more expensive options. Also, I used to be in the piston reg camp. With the move to Deep6 (sealed diaphragm), I've come to appreciate not having salt, grit, and dead sea critters in my ambient chamber!
I thought you save the critters for later?:)

To all of you that say "high performance" can you really tell one over the other? I've sucked on Mares, SP, Apeks, Deep 6, DR, and I'm sure others (I mean, I do get around!). Can't say that one well tuned reg ever beat out another???

Maybe I'm just too dense to tell the difference? Currently with D6 as I like the cost and their business model / interaction with us common folk.

If money doesn’t matter, I will go with st1 in op’s list. But i do agree with the g260 2nd stage. It is very good. So mk250/g260 would be my top choice.

To all of you that say "they perform well"

I thought you save the critters for later?:)

To all of you that say "high performance" can you really tell one over the other? I've sucked on Mares, SP, Apeks, Deep 6, DR, and I'm sure others (I mean, I do get around!). Can't say that one well tuned reg ever beat out another???

Maybe I'm just too dense to tell the difference? Currently with D6 as I like the cost and their business model / interaction with us common folk.

Tend to agree in the main. Equally tuned any perceived difference isn't so much about superiority but different breathing characteristics, some will appeal to some more than others.

I love the C370, it breathes no better than a G260 for example but I prefer its breathing characteristics more.

Buy the one you like the look of most, can afford and can get serviced without too much hassle.

More dollars certainly do not necessarily mean higher performing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom