Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by danvolker
It is still shocking to me that so many divers have no concern for the propulsive efficiency they give up when they wear a dry suit....It is one thing if it is 45 degrees, or it is cold and very deep where the wetsuit will not work....but in tropical waters, the dry suit means either you poke along, or you waste gas working harder than your evil twin would in a slick wetsuit.
Yes . . .I've had a tropical drysuit buddy "admonish" me for finning too fast descending & getting over to a Truk wreck --the same GUE Instructor who eventually replaced his leaky drysuit with my spare skinsuit & X-shorts.

Told him there wasn't any current we were swimming against, nor was I finning with any greater frequency or force than usual. . .

Oh dear.... We already established in another thread that this whole line of nonsense stems from your own frustration of having to slow down to "wait" for buddies who do not configure like you do..... You summarized your own arguments perfectly when you said, and I quote, "I hate drysuits". That was the whole point of everything you have ever said about this issue and it encapsulates everything you will ever need to say about it.

It's fine if you hate drysuits, but don't get all evangelical about it for crying out loud.

R..

Actually, for those that actually read what I write rather than inventing comments by me to twist into their own agendas....what we established was that I am "picky" about who I will buddy with, and the people that actually "are my buddies" swim at the speed I like to swim at, naturally, without urging or hurrying--I swim at the speed they want me to swim at......It is a two way street..... So I don't have to "wait" for "my" buddies, with the exception of Sandra--- when she stops to shoot a pic of something on a wide angle reef dive...and this I am fine with..the "Mission" afterall, is to get good photos and good videos...... Again, I don't have any problem with buddies that don't configure like I do... I have my buddies, you guys have yours.

As to the hate issue....Back when I was considering what I should BUY to be warmer on winter dives off Palm Beach, the "WISDOM" of the general dive community, including Scubaboard, was that if you could afford it, you SHOULD get a drysuit for winter diving. This was over $3000...so the decision to spend the money, was a big decision.....so many divers pushed this direction, practically none against...so I ended up buying what most told me was the "BEST" drysuit on the market--the DUI TLS 350......Today, I can honestly say, the community advice was the WORST advice for dive gear I have ever taken in my life....and that the drysuit was and is the most regrettable purchase I have ever made..bar none. It was a huge rip-off, given the severe handicaps it presents to a Florida diver, unless all they do is tech or cave.

So I am on here now, to make sure that any other divers that might connect with some of my ideas on what is fun underwater, and what gear should accomplish, will see that the advice of many would be negligent for them--that for them the purchase would be a huge mistake.

I wish someone had alerted me to how much drag, and how slow drysuits were...when I was making up my mind 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Almost totally irrelevant comment here....but just something of minor interest....

If you are sliding on top of the water at 40+mph (Barefoot waterskiing) the drysuit is a lot slicker than a wetsuit/barefoot suit.

Almost totally irrelevant comment here....but just something of minor interest....

If you are sliding on top of the water at 40+mph (Barefoot waterskiing) the drysuit is a lot slicker than a wetsuit/barefoot suit.

This would require some physics to really discuss...but I think what is happening is that the wetsuit can be stretched and severely deformed by extreme torque by the water blasting by at 40+ mph...whereas the drysuit material does not stetch or deform, so it does not "shape itself" into a virtual parachute like a wetsuit will at 40 mph.....

But an interesting observation, just the same!! :)

Actually, for those that actually read what I write rather than inventing comments by me to twist into their own agendas.....

Do I have to actually link the post that summarizes everything and says "I hate drysuits"?

You know what... I can't even be bothered because you're not worth the effort. People can look it up themselves. The vast majority will believe me at face value, the few who have any vestige of interest left in what you have to say might be interested in looking up the facts... and they will find them.

oh wait... here is the post. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...suits-vast-majority-divers-4.html#post6949638

and I'm sorry, I misquoted you because I said you said "I hate drysuits" but what you really said was "I REALLY hate drysuits".

Dan, you know, back in the day you had some logical arguments to make.... you need to recapture that spirit because you're making yourself look bad. Every thread you're in gets worse and worse. Your entire posting on scubaboard can be summarized in two short statements

1) makes no sense
2) is not the truth

I'm sure you have more in you than that. Try to regain it.

R..

dead-horse.gif

Do I have to actually link the post that summarizes everything and says "I hate drysuits"?

You know what... I can't even be bothered because you're not worth the effort. People can look it up themselves. The vast majority will believe me at face value, the few who have any vestige of interest left in what you have to say might be interested in looking up the facts... and they will find them.

oh wait... here is the post. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...suits-vast-majority-divers-4.html#post6949638

and I'm sorry, I misquoted you because I said you said "I hate drysuits" but what you really said was "I REALLY hate drysuits".

Dan, you know, back in the day you had some logical arguments to make.... you need to recapture that spirit because you're making yourself look bad. Every thread you're in gets worse and worse. Your entire posting on scubaboard can be summarized in two short statements

1) makes no sense
2) is not the truth

I'm sure you have more in you than that. Try to regain it.

R..

Of course I hate Dry suits....!!! But in your last post to me you were claiming that I leave slow buddies behind....which was just a mean spirited lie that you felt good telling....and then you now come back and claim the misquote was about my hating drysuits....

Again, I think you should be fired as a moderator. Even if Pete pays you nothing, you are worth less than half of that.

Of course I hate Dry suits....!!!

There we go. We have now gotten to the core of this thread too. Thank you for coming clean again.

Now don't make me stalk you. I hope we can put this to rest now that you have clearly stated TWICE what you want people to understand. Enough, now... please.

R..

P.S. I do actually find it rather amusing when you decide to attack me personally. Personal attacks are proof positive that there are no valid points left to make.

Last edited:
Both wetsuits and drysuits suck. There.

Drysuits suck because they're hot on the surface (maybe less so with the fancy tropical ones), and wetsuits suck because you get cold faster in the water. Who give's a damn as long as a) you're safe and b) comfortable. If you're on a scuba race with Dan V, he might have a bad time if you have a drysuit on. Conversely, if you're shivering because you wore a wetsuit to keep pace with Dan V, he's going to have a bad time when you have to sit out a dive because you're a popsicle.

Some people get colder easier than others. Some people tolerate heat better than others. Fact of life, guys. Bottom line is that Dan V is going to have a terrible time diving with you no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom