Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slick? I don't coat my wetsuit in baby oil or seal blubber, so maybe you can elaborate? Diving a tight drysuit, and breaking the water column with your arms (wet or dry), is there considerably more drag in a drysuit?

There are plenty of slick wetsuits, mostly purchased by free divers, but also by scuba divers that are not so clueless about propulsive efficiency...as are Drysuit divers in the tropics :)
See this as an example... J55, Sporasub Spearfishing and Freediving Equipment

P.S.
I have an absolute certainty that either 99.9% ( or 100%) of dry suit divers will reject this suggestion---they typically have rationalized their decisions, and will not have open minds on this matter.....and after past threads, I am not inclined to be political or to sugar coat this..... but I get sick of all the circle jerking by the tropical Dry suit crowd....

It is still shocking to me that so many divers have no concern for the propulsive efficiency they give up when they wear a dry suit....It is one thing if it is 45 degrees, or it is cold and very deep where the wetsuit will not work....but in tropical waters, the dry suit means either you poke along, or you waste gas working harder than your evil twin would in a slick wetsuit.

We're not all the same, Dan. My susceptibility to hypothermia very nearly drove me from diving altogether. I spent years increasing my thermal protection until two years ago, I was diving tropical waters (82 degrees) with a 7 mil suit and 5 mil hood, and still could barely manage to stay warm enough through a week of diving. I am now very happily diving those same tropical waters with a dry suit. For the first time in my diving life, I am reliably and comfortably warm. I have never enjoyed diving as much as I now do. Sure, propulsion is more of a challenge with the dry suit, but I'm smiling and comfortable the whole time I'm bulking up those leg muscles. :D

I dive both a 3mm wetsuit and a 4mm crushed neoprene drysuit and there's definitely a difference. I also used to dive a thin bi-laminate drysuit and while the difference was smaller, it was still there. Add large volume fins and it's like ballet vs polka.

I rarely rock a good dolphin kick in a drysuit.

OK, I'm receptive to this argument. Make me believe that as a large male (6'3", 210lbs) that this kind of wetsuit will make enough difference in propulsion efficiency to make it worth me purchasing it. I dive wet all the time, but mine is a traditional wetsuit. Even my 3mm semi-dry that I use in warm water works fine by me. I think that I can overcome any efficiency due to slickness simply with my practical, forceful kick, but I'm open to considering the math and physics that disproves this. Having said that, I'm not interested in micro-efficiency.

Having said that, let me put this in perspective. I was a competitive swimmer in high school and college. I've done the shaving, oiling, and special suits to minimize surface friction for the purpose of streamlining. And although it can improve times by hundredths, even tenths of seconds, this is immaterial in the application of diving. Compared to a swimmer, you are a giant cow as a diver. You bulldoze through the water, rather than streamline through it like a swimmer. So, ultimately, I can't see the surface friction of a particular suit making any practical difference to me. As said above, if you can show me how significantly my air consumption, based on reduced effort, will decrease, I'm all ears.

OK, first, you brought up an EXCELLENT POINT... the swimming drag issue....skin, or oiled skin, etc....the thing is, skin itself is pretty slick....trying to get less drag than skin gets you diminishing returns fast.
BUT..try swimming competitively against your buddies while you wear a big floppy flannel shirt, and some big baggy trousers. I think swimmers you could normally destroy, would be killing you :)

This is the issue with wetsuits and dry suits....the dry suits are like the baggy clothing, the wetsuits more like the skin....particularly the slick free dive suits....there are several semi-dry suits that are really wetsuits ( by texture and drag), and that are not catastrophically slower than a slick wetsuit for most "dive missions" I could imagine....while the dry suits WOULD BE CATASTROPHICALLY TOO SLOW for many, many dive missions I have been on in the past, and will be on in the future.

I have a very custom DUI TLS 350....and I have used it in the incoming tidal current at the BHB ( which is too strong for many scuba divers to swim against)....found I could beat the current, but that it was big work...then got out, switched to my free dive suit, and found the same current was insignificant to me--I would still have to crank up some speed, but it was easy speed, and I could even kick and glide--which is impossible with the dry suit....Add to that probably 50 to 70 dives in winter time with the Dry suit , on dives I have done many hundreds of times with slick wetsuits --and the dry suit effort is obnoxious....and I can't follow the marine life nearly as well...And breathing rate goes up, bottom time goes down.

To me, the TLS350 is crap...for the diving I do....If I was absolutely not going to dive tech any more, I would GIVE it away to someone, or sell it....or just throw it out......but...I will likely still do tech dives for several more years, and for this I need the dry suit until there is better perfection of electrical heated undergarments, or of a better grade of heat pacs and hi tech slick fabric outers with better thermal insulation. This technology will be here soon enough....and the dry suits will be garbage --for me--when this happens. My wife will use her TLS350 for macro photography at the BHB Marine Park, for 4 to 6 hour long dives ( in less than 18 feet of water), and where she and her buddies are practically motionless for 30 minutes at a time....To me, this is not diving...I am happy for Sandra that she loves this, but it is an entirely different sport or activity than what I like....My thing is shooting video of big marine life. Everyone needs to have a mission--I guess the dry suit crowd just pick the slow missions :)

Using a drysuit is like cutting your fins in half, then telling everyone you like diving better this way--and that no one needs to go faster than you can swim with your fins cut in half!!!

Using a drysuit is like cutting your fins in half, then telling everyone you like diving better this way--and that no one needs to go faster than you can swim with your fins cut in half!!!

Are you seriously going to rehash this crap yet again? Go back to the pointless thread you started just to rant about that specific topic.

It is still shocking to me that so many divers have no concern for the propulsive efficiency they give up when they wear a dry suit....It is one thing if it is 45 degrees, or it is cold and very deep where the wetsuit will not work....but in tropical waters, the dry suit means either you poke along, or you waste gas working harder than your evil twin would in a slick wetsuit.

Oh dear.... We already established in another thread that this whole line of nonsense stems from your own frustration of having to slow down to "wait" for buddies who do not configure like you do..... You summarized your own arguments perfectly when you said, and I quote, "I hate drysuits". That was the whole point of everything you have ever said about this issue and it encapsulates everything you will ever need to say about it.

It's fine if you hate drysuits, but don't get all evangelical about it for crying out loud.

R..

try swimming competitively against your buddies while you wear a big floppy flannel shirt, and some big baggy trousers.
Try doing the same with a tank on your back! :D Diving is not a race. It's a big ocean. You're not going to see it all in one dive, so why try?

the dry suits are like the baggy clothing,
You've obviously never tried a White's Fusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom