Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is little doubt that even a perfectly fitted, custom made, cave-cut dry suit has more drag than even a poorly fitting wetsuit. There is also little doubt that for 99% percent of pretty-fishy tropical dives this difference is meaningless.

Three days here in Palau so far, gearing up in 32 to 35deg C ambient air temperature & humidity, and I can't wait to "cool-off" in the 29deg C water just in my rashguard & boardshorts. . . and there is absolutely nobody here wearing -nor even thinking about a "tropical drysuit".

Presently diving in single AL80 tank sidemount (UTD Z-harness system with 23kg/50lb Wing), 0.5mm skinsuit & 2mm hooded vest with no lead weight needed, and a Halcyon Life Raft for redundant buoyancy at depth and surface/survival flotation.

Just back from a week of doing 5-6 dives a day in 83F water in the Bahamas in my DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit...

Carib_112113_033.jpg

There were two out of 17 divers diving dry on the boat last week. Neither of us died... or even sweated. (Though there were 15 divers who clamored for warm towels and hot cocoa after the night dives.)

Last edited:
Here in Palau on Thanksgiving Day, day 5 of 32deg C ambient air temp with 1000% humidity.

There is no one here foolish or vain enough to jump in 29deg C waters with a drysuit, fight the currents with hard physical exertion where & whenever necessary (i.e. Blue Holes to Blue Corner; Ulong Channel; Peleliu Express etc) --and not just simply drifting with the current all the time in perfect static stereotypical "GUE horizontal show trim" in open water like RJP above. And that probably goes even for the divers on the liveaboards here also doing 5 to 6 dives per day as well.

I come to the equatorial/tropics region to get away from the cold temperate waters of SoCal and the thought of wearing drysuits, and to enjoy the bathwater temperature on my skin like most marine (and land) mammals do. . .

(Z-sidemount single AL80 tank again, 0.5mm skinsuit with hooded vest & pocket shorts, with Halcyon Liferaft for redundant buoyancy at depth and survival flotation on the surface).

Here in Palau on Thanksgiving Day, day 5 of 32deg C ambient air temp with 1000% humidity.

There is no one here foolish or vain enough to jump in 29deg C waters with a drysuit, fight the currents with hard physical exertion where & whenever necessary (i.e. Blue Holes to Blue Corner; Ulong Channel; Peleliu Express etc) --and not just simply drifting with the current all the time in perfect static stereotypical "GUE horizontal show trim" in open water like RJP above. And that probably goes even for the divers on the liveaboards here also doing 5 to 6 dives per day as well.

I come to the equatorial/tropics region to get away from the cold temperate waters of SoCal and the thought of wearing drysuits, and to enjoy the bathwater temperature on my skin like most marine (and land) mammals do. . .

(Z-sidemount single AL80 tank again, 0.5mm skinsuit with hooded vest & pocket shorts, with Halcyon Liferaft for redundant buoyancy at depth and survival flotation on the surface).

"foolish" "vain" ??? You just don't get it.

Reactions: RJP
There is no one here foolish or vain enough to jump in 29deg C waters with a drysuit,
Why is it when someone disagrees with you that the tendency is couch the opposing decisions in such negative terms? I get that we're a passionate group, but calling them "foolish or vain" simply because they prefer to wear a dry suit and you don't is just silly? That's just so over the top with incendiary rhetoric in regards to a personal decision that I have to call
:gans:​

Feel free to tell us how you dive but lose the commentary on how/what/why others dive the way they do. It's not respectful and doesn't add to our discussion.

Why is it when someone disagrees with you that the tendency is couch the opposing decisions in such negative terms? I get that we're a passionate group, but calling them "foolish or vain" simply because they prefer to wear a dry suit and you don't is just silly? That's just so over the top with incendiary rhetoric in regards to a personal decision that I have to call

Feel free to tell us how you dive but lose the commentary on how/what/why others dive the way they do. It's not respectful and doesn't add to our discussion.
Nope Pete -notwithstanding your call of BulScat Shenanigans & notion of "disrespectfullness" . . .that is simply the opinion of EVERY DIVER & DIVE GUIDE HERE IN PALAU that I've spoken to and their response to my simple question, "What do you think of using a drysuit, even a lightweight tropical drysuit, in these conditions?"

(Pete, at least my hyperbole above has some basis in fact & common sense, unlike your "Shenanigans". . .)

Last edited:
that is simply the opinion of EVERY DIVER & DIVE GUIDE HERE IN PALAU
You mean the whole island is filled with bombastic and immature people who are full of themselves? Again, I find that hard to believe and will once again have to call

To put this in perspective, I often dive the caves here in Florida in just a swim suit. Except for the infrequent intrusion, they maintain a 68F (20C) temp year round. I find it comfortable for about the first two hours. When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one. I've seen more than one incredulous look in my direction as I enjoy Florida's dark side. However, my BC has dual bladders, so if one were to fail I have a back up. Cautious divers, diving steel tanks, often want to have a redundant buoyancy system. In OW, there are a few options including SMBs, lift bags and dry suits. Someone's solution might not be the best solution for you, but that's no reason to lable them either foolish or vain. It's unfriendly, immature and tends to stifle good discussion. You need to chillax a bit and stop with the attack mentality.

Reactions: RJP
There is no one here foolish or vain enough...

"You're so vain, I bet you think this thread is about you. Don't you?"

What on Earth does it mean to be "vain enough" to dive in a drysuit?

If you want to think I'm even more vain, consider that the water in the Bahamas was actually more than 300 kelvin!

Yikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom