Does a scooter count as 'redundant buoyancy'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not even in the equation except as an "Oh crap" option.
Did you get out of Tampa OK?

Did you get out of Tampa OK?

SRQ, but I am hunkering down as I am well outside any likely storm surge. In fact in about 90 minutes I will be outside getting everything boarded up and the outside prepped.

SRQ, but I am hunkering down as I am well outside any likely storm surge. In fact in about 90 minutes I will be outside getting everything boarded up and the outside prepped.
IMG_6120.jpeg

Not even in the equation except as an "Oh crap" option.
i tend to disagree; it is easy to use ; immediately available and reliable. what are the cons?

i tend to disagree; it is easy to use ; immediately available and reliable. what are the cons?

It doesn't actually fix buoyancy, you still need to establish it. For me it would be something to keep me at a reasonable while I start putting air in my suit.

So as a "use an SMB/lift bag for redundant buoyancy" method, it sounds like most of you are talking about using it as a submerged lift bag that you have to maintain buoyancy on like you were recovering a 200 lb anchor or something.

Why would you do that? Launch that thing to the surface on a reel/spool and us the line to pull yourself up as needed. What am I missing?

Hand em off to a buddy and see how it feels.
I second this. Bottle passing drills, although not included in any of my (GUE) training to date, have, amongst many things, been a great way to experience first-hand the buoyancy changes, or lack thereof.

It doesn't actually fix buoyancy, you still need to establish it. For me it would be something to keep me at a reasonable while I start putting air in my suit.
in the scenario above getting up to the depth of your liking seems good enougth. Then you can just adjust your scoot ropes to have constant lift; it is not very hard amnd quit sustainable. Certainly a lot more relaxed than holding on a lift bag... If you do not want to do this you can also just hold on to whatever on the reef and wait.

in all it is not as good as the primary system (blader) but certainly as efficient and reliable. Sounds to me in a warm water scenario a boyancy acheived by an over inflated dry suit (assuming he was heavy) is not a better solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom