Does a scooter count as 'redundant buoyancy'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditch the heavy tanks and you’ll be very close to neutral. Trimix is light, and a single tank of oxygen or 50% doesn’t weight much at all.
That's what I've always thought as well, although not an experiment I've been prepared to try at depth!

as far as i m concerned; yes i consider it is backup buoyancy.

i don’t see why it would be less valid as such vs any of the other methods and alternat that are mentioned above. the scoot can fail ; but so does any of the other backup method. in open water a scoot is very effective at bringing you up even you are heavy.

regarding your experienced tech instructor ; he sound very much like a show off guru. diving in dry in warm water because of “backup buoyancy”? get a lift bag already! and then trying to preach to the whole boat out of nowhere ? get a life! seriously though having done thousands of dive does not necessarily teach critical thinking :wink:

I have mounted and old horsecoller co2 assembly in a lift bag.

although I have a couple of manufactured ones, this is exactly what I am talking about chief.

Utilising a scooter as an emergency is legitimate- If you doing wreck dives at depth then usually you have a shot line? I always us the shot line to ascend by hand over hand- i find it much easier to control ascent rates and I just use the ascent bar graph on my Nerd to measure speed

I prefer a dry suit for long dives - its always reassuring to have a second option to the wing, add in 2 smbs a shot line ditchable weights and a scooter and I think youve got it covered

blowing a wing on descent is the problem you alluded to though - definitely a scarier outcome with a wet suit-your not going to have time to get an smb out so your down to the ditching weights or using the scooter -which can be done by slowly circling around and ascending

In a drysuit you can establish easily neutral buyoncy at a given depth - well if you are not over or undweighted of course. And it is trained.

That gives you a far easier handling. Handling with a scooter or liftbag (how easy can you release air from that? An smb at least may have a release valve) Not sure if you want to have that additonal workload in case of an emergency scenario... so a dry suit is certainly a good thing.

Well but you may consider the risk of a wing failure, and take this into account if you sre fine with your backup solution. Lots of these thoughts come from dir thinking, where you penetrate a cave or wreck -> possibility to damage your wing is much higher, as if you are just in open water.

I would not consider these in my plan, butnof course in emergency use that. Vote for dry suit, as I try to minimize risks.

liftbag (how easy can you release air from that? An smb at least may have a release valve)

If you are thinking about using a lift bag as a redundant source of buoyancy you need one with a dump valve. Like the Dive Rite one that runs the release cord down to the bottom.

That being said, lift bags are suboptimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom