Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watching three divers returned from a dive in Philippines(water temp 27C) recently.
One was wearing a dry suit(non-tropical), the 2nd one was one broad short and a T-shirt while the 3rd one was on 5mm + vest and hood.
We are all individual!

3. Making sure everybody knows you have a drysuit and are a "technical" diver
A few people have suggested that my diving caves without the benefit of a dry or wet suit is simply my machismo crying out. They couldn't be further from the truth if they tried. Assigning nefarious intent is easy to do on the interwebs, but all it shows is your bias. Some of these posts sound like a paraphrased scene from Blazing Saddles:

"Drysuits? We don't need no steenkeeng drysuits!"

I like being comfortable whenever I dive. That's a mixture of what thermal exposure protection I wear (or not) as well as sufficient redundancies to make sure that I have adequate safety exposure protection. I like the idea of a dual bladder. No, I never hook up the inflator to my air supply. If the one fails, I'll just breathe into the second.

As for deploying lift bags and SMBs. I think it's important to have that as a skill for all sorts of reasons including as redundant buoyancy. No, you don't have to send them to the surface, but that's my favorite way to deploy. I've actually vented my entire BCD and hung on to my SMB just to test it out. Easy!

As an aside, we're up in Cave Country where it's a chilly 42F this morning. I haven't decided on my exposure protection yet. That 68F water's going to feel GOOOOD.

A few people have suggested that my diving caves without the benefit of a dry or wet suit is simply my machismo crying out. They couldn't be further from the truth if they tried. Assigning nefarious intent is easy to do on the interwebs, but all it shows is your bias. Some of these posts sound like a paraphrased scene from Blazing Saddles:

"Drysuits? We don't need no steenkeeng drysuits!"

if you're gonna paraphrase, go back to the original line... not the spoof!

[video=youtube_share;VqomZQMZQCQ]http://youtu.be/VqomZQMZQCQ[/video]

:d

I liked the spoof far, far better! In fact, I only found out about the first movie because of Blazing Saddles. In any event, here's yet another paraphrased quote from that movie:

NetDoc only pawn... in game of life!

I liked the spoof far, far better! In fact, I only found out about the first movie because of Blazing Saddles. In any event, here's yet another paraphrased quote from that movie:

NetDoc only pawn... in game of life!

image92.jpg

You know, I always try to plan for contingencies and ofter wonder if I'm just being too paranoid. Well, this past Sunday found me in P1 (Peacock Springs) with mselenaous and jahjahwarrior. My butt dump on my BCD completely failed and I was only wearing a shorty. Fortunately, the other bladder worked just fine. I unplugged the inflator hose from the left and into the right, let out all the residual air from the left and filled her up on the right. In ten years+ of diving caves and 40+ years of Scuba, that was a first. I'll be pulling it apart today or tomorrow to see what failed.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean your gear isn't out to get you.

(Had a wing weld fail on me a couple of years ago. Luckily it got caught in my "check before you load your gear in the car" check so I could swap to another wing at home rather than finding out on the pre-dive check on the boat.)

Here in Truk Lagoon now --and what'ya know!!!:D

There are four GUE divers I'm diving with here, and three of them are wearing DUI TLS or FLX Extreme Drysuits!

One diver is beta testing Halcyon's/GUE's JJ CCR, so he understandably must have the drysuit's redundant buoyuancy --unfortunately the repair job on a torn wrist seal failed on the second dive today so he had two "leg fulls" of warm 30deg C tropical Pacific Ocean water after a 90min run time/24m average depth dive inside the Heian Maru (he was using some sort of shrink-wrap adhesive tape for the wrist seal repair that held up well on the San Francisco Maru first dive at 120min run time/54m ave depth). . .

... .. .... . .. ... This just in to the news room:

Chances are, you'll find GUE divers making standardized choices wherever you go.

... .. .... . .. ... This just in to the news room:

Chances are, you'll find GUE divers making standardized choices wherever you go.
2 phunny!

I'm not sure which I think funnier: people who only accept dry suit diving or those who simply reject it? Either prosecute their beliefs with a religious fervor that make the rest of us simply wonder what their real motivation could be. I guess if all you own is a hammer the solution to everything is a nail. Conversely, if all you have is a screwdriver, then the only solution is a screw. Personally, I like having a lot of different tools at my disposal to meet the demands of any task. I'm not restricted to using either one tool or the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom