Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SO - how about that redundant buoyancy in warm water question?

Near as I can tell, it's not needed if you believe you can walk on water.

How do y'all tote all that gear? I can barely get tropical gear to a tropical site much less cold water gear to a tropical site.

I see no reason for drysuits in 80 degree plus water except for:

1. People who have sensitivity to cold
2. Long emersion dives (rebreathers, deco dives etc.)
3. Making sure everybody knows you have a drysuit and are a "technical" diver

This thread is the antithesis of Minimalism.

My wife does a two finger touch down, (strong current) to show me a moray. She is a tiny little thing and gets cold easily, her 3/2 is fine.

IMG_2993_zps8518a9da.jpg

I get cold easy but prefer a swimsuit in the Keys in the summer, November in Coz through I will take my 3/2 and be quite comfortable unless it is raining.

IMG_3346_zps3f08c046.jpg

Oh, okay, let me add another:

4. Raining

Somehow a rainstorm in the tropics in winter can be a bit chilly, I would then concur with the lovely drysuit choice. Yes, after two 1.5 hour dives, we both begin to chill a bit. I am ready to get out and warm up in the sun, but, if it is raining, it can be nippy I suppose.

I have redundant buoyancy, my lungs, the only reason I have an 18 pound wing is to satisfy boat requirements, I do not really need it at all with 3/2 or less.

N

The point of this thread was technical diving in warm water when you may be carrying too many tanks to swim up the rig in the event of failure. The assumption was that you wouldn't have a drysuit due to warmth so what are the other options. It was answered in the first few posts and now has dissolved into another drysuit bashing thread. I think split fins are the safest bet...... GO!

How do y'all tote all that gear? I can barely get tropical gear to a tropical site much less cold water gear to a tropical site.

3. Making sure everybody knows you have a drysuit and are a "technical" diver

Really unclear to me why the people who are "anti-tropical dry" have to take personal digs at the people who dive that way. Odd, no, that this phenomenon only seems to run in that one direction?

I can assure you, that the one-and-only-reason I dive a tropical drysuit in ~80F water is that it allows me to be most comfortable before, during, and after every dive I do. If anyone wishes to dive some other way, I assume they are comfortable doing so... and say nothing more about it. I don't try to convince them that they are actually cold and don't realize it. I wouldn't suggest that they will die of hypothermia. I certainly don't make ad hominem attacks on them about that decision.

It would never occur to me to suggest that your choice was based on some sort of desire for people to believe that you are "macho" in some way? Or to point out the ridiculous nature of someone who "gets cold easily" diving in a swimsuit? Or to wonder about what goes on in the head of a person who would waste their time surveying "every diver and dive guide" in Palau about some complete stranger's choice of exposure protection. But given the visceral and vociferous objections coming from folks I'm starting to believe that there may in fact be some sort of underlying emotional or self-esteem issue.

Methinks the diver doth protest too much.

(...)

It may be hard to believe by reading the second half of this thread, but its purpose was to discuss precisely number 2 above: deco dives. More specifically, to get to know what people used for redundant buoyancy when doing technical (decompression) dives in warm/hot climate conditions.

Unfortunately, at some point the discussion turned into a "my suit is better than yours for Chuuk/Palau/Bahamas/Keys" argument.

Last edited:
It may be hard to believe by reading the second half of this thread, but its purpose was to discuss precisely number 2 above: deco dives. More precisely, to get to know what people used for redundant buoyancy when doing technical (decompression) dives in warm/hot climate conditions.

As may have been overlooked in post #14 when I first chimed in on this ill-fated thread, when doing deco/tech dives in warm water I use a DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit to provide redundant buoyancy as well as effective, comfortable exposure protection.

My typical warm-water deep wreck/deco rig consists of:
Halcyon 40 Evolve wing
Halcyon plate
Manifolded AL80's for back gas
AL 80s slung as needed
AL 40 for deco gas
Salvo 20w or DR 10w light
3C backup light
2C backup light
Halcyon 6' closed SMB
Pathfinder 400 reel
150ft finger spool
DUI 30/30 suit
+/- still or video rig
I'm 6'2" and 175lbs and wear no lead with the rig above

If the wing failed I could swim the rig up without using the suit, but would anticipate having a hard time holding a stop without the suit unless I ditched gear. I could use the SMB, but wouldn't relish the idea of hanging on a line for an extended period. The suit would allow me to send a marker up and still comfortably complete any required obligations without hanging on a spool.

The suit has also proven to be extremely durable exposure protection, having performed flawlessly without rip/tear/hole/puncture during ~200 or so tight wreck penetration dives. The surface of the suit is closer to ripstop nylon than a TLS-350 and doesn't get snagged easily, less so than a wetsuit or skin.

In terms of travel, the 30/30 packs lighter and smaller than a 3mm wetsuit. It is dry enough to pack into a suitcase within 15min of exiting the water.

Downsides to the DUI 30/30 suit are
- cost is significantly more than a wetsuit/skin
- need for an extra hose for inflation; further confounded if diving mix
- though very fitted, hydrodynamic drag is somewhat more than a wetsuit

Sorry for whatever part I may have played in causing the thread to get pulled off-track; hopefully the information above is helpful.

RJP, one funny point to consider is that there are some stories of people filling their drysuits with trimix at the surface to help cool them off, then emptying it upon entering the water and refilling with argon/air/nitrox. I'm just mentioning it as a solution for surface discomfort in a drysuit right before/after a trimix dive.

How often do people teach/practice lift bag as a redundant buoyancy device? I'm sure I could get it, but I'm not convinced I could do it smoothly or effectively if something were to go wrong.

Really unclear to me why the people who are "anti-tropical dry" have to take personal digs at the people who dive that way. .

There is no personal dig, I assume you refer to reason number 3. I did not name any diver or quote anyone therefore by definition it is not personal. As to the rest as I am fond of doing, this is an opinion board, and I must refer you to line three of my sig. My observations are as stated.

My number 2 reason in particular is a very valid and reasonable to use and prefer drysuits for this type of diving. Diver performance and attention to plan details is going to be better for the comfortable (non-cold stressed) diver. Long immersion dives will result in chilled divers even in very warm water.

N

As Pete alluded to; In this case, vanity is a state of mind in which you believe "what you wear" is a statement representing "who you are".

Whether dry or wet, you should base your decision on what works for you, in those circumstances. If it works, it is ok. If it doesn't, it's not. This is based on exposure protection needs, cost, availability, transport issues etc... Discussing the pros and cons of each is valuable but, ultimately, if something works - it works.

In a sport where we micro dissect every little decision we often forget that beyond the rudimentary, most everything else is strictly fashion.

Reactions: RJP
How often do people teach/practice lift bag as a redundant buoyancy device? I'm sure I could get it, but I'm not convinced I could do it smoothly or effectively if something were to go wrong.

We teach it at the shop where I trained/DM. Practice deploying and coming up a bag a few times a year, and get to shoot one with a bag of scallops or a new anchor every now and again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom