Rebuild a Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an aqua lung dealer in OKC argue that they were not able to service the Conshelf xiv as AL had discontinued all support for conshelf regulators. Then they claimed no parts were available and that as an AL dealer they could only use OEM parts purchased directly from AL. Finally, they called me a few hours after leaving the shop and said that they could service it but that it would take them 6 months to get the parts. What's up with AL and these dealers? They knew they were not going to sell me something new.

As I’ve previously mentioned, it would appear that AL/USD just wants to quit supporting their older regulators and to encourage their customers to purchase their newer, plastic fantastic regs. The embarrassing fact remains that the C 14 is still approved for, therefor supported for military and “professional“ use, so the OEM parts are there for M&P applications, but in an artificially restricted status.

I was told by a major AL service center that they “hadn’t been able to get” AL Conshelf rebuild kits for the last six months of 2022 and in essence told that as accredited AL service center, they were no longer “allowed“ to work on Conshelf or earlier regs. I wonder whether letter writing to the CEO of AL expressing our displeasure with the situation would do any good? They’re a mega corporation, and may not be responsive to their customers, but who knows?

Personally, I have a 1980 vintage C XIV set that only has about 3-400 dives on it and both due to familiarity and nostalgia (as well as cheapness) I refuse to give it up. I sent it to Rob at NapaScuba LLC a week ago and got a DM this morning it’s done and about ready to come home. Thanks to @rsingler for helping me return to diving.

🐸

As I’ve previously mentioned, it would appear that AL/USD just wants to quit supporting their older regulators and to encourage their customers to purchase their newer, plastic fantastic regs. The embarrassing fact remains that the C 14 is still approved for, therefor supported for military and “professional“ use, so the OEM parts are there for M&P applications, but in an artificially restricted status.

I was told by a major AL service center that they “hadn’t been able to get” AL Conshelf rebuild kits for the last six months of 2022 and in essence told that as accredited AL service center, they were no longer “allowed“ to work on Conshelf or earlier regs. I wonder whether letter writing to the CEO of AL expressing our displeasure with the situation would do any good? They’re a mega corporation, and may not be responsive to their customers, but who knows?

Personally, I have a 1980 vintage C XIV set that only has about 3-400 dives on it and both due to familiarity and nostalgia (as well as cheapness) I refuse to give it up. I sent it to Rob at NapaScuba LLC a week ago and got a DM this morning it’s done and about ready to come home. Thanks to @rsingler for helping me return to diving.

🐸
As I stated, I got essentially the same story that the dealer couldn't work on them as they are a licensed AL dealer and AL forbid it. I have 3 C 14 sets, one I'm currently using, one that appears new, and one that is certainly new in the box never used. All of them probably from the 80's. The OKC AL dealer even tried to tell me rurbish that the C 14 no longer meets industry and Navy specs and is considered "insufficient specs for safe modern diving." I'm not an expert but when you see threads on here with 17 pages of praises for the C 14, it's difficult for me to believe it's sub-specs for modern diving. I dove 15 dives last week, two of which were to the Spiegel Grove. I think I'll keep diving the C 14s even if I have to service myself.

The OKC AL dealer even tried to tell me rurbish that the C 14 no longer meets industry and Navy specs and is considered "insufficient specs for safe modern diving."
Ask the dealer If he wants to dive my 1954 LG Arpin DivAir. "No longer meets industry...specs." What a croc of S**T! 😎

If Conshelfs were good enough to dive the Andrea Doria in the early 90's how can they not be good enough to dive with today?

Verrry interestink! I just read an ad from an online vendor offering brand new Conshelf XIV regulators for the “professional“ market for a mere $899.99 shipped free in 1-2 business days. They describe them as follows;

”The Aqua Lung Military Conshelf XIV Regulator is a staple in the diving community. The years in service are a testament to its durability.
The Balanced diaphragm first stage has 4 lp ports and 1 hp port arranged radially.
The 2nd stage is a standard demand design made of metal for durability.
Sales are restricted to professional divers only”

Again I have to ask, why do the professionals get to have all the fun with a 2nd stage that is a “standard demand design made of metal for durability”? Could it be that the venerable 1085 second stage is too difficult for we uneducated amateurs to use?

🐸

That may be Skip, but if they cut off the supply of factory parts for routine service, they seem to be trying to freeze out that option as well. High quality aftermarket parts are out there, so the process should continue for a long time to come (I hope)!

In the good news department, I just got an email from Rob that mine is in the mail and should be wending it’s way home soon! 😁

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago to see whether I could solve the problem I was facing getting my own Con XIV serviced, and not only did that get accomplished thanks to @rsingler, but a larger than expected groundswell of interest in keeping these regs diving has emerged and I’ve met a lot of nice folks and received a great deal of help and encouragement along the way. I am beyond gratified and wish to extend my thanks to you all.

🐸

Well guys,

In a similar vein to the experiences that Green Frog and okrunner have had recently, I just got off the phone with my local shop, which is truly excellent, and they informed me that they cant obtain new parts to service my Conshelfs, the parts have dried up.

I'm starting to think that Aqualung really has cut everyone off.

Build your own service kit:
820120 DIN O-ring: 2-112 Duro 90 your choice of material
119129 Bal Chbr B/U ring: 2-006 dished B/U ring - TheOringStore,LLC N8-90-006
(although - the old part number of #828005 suggests it was a size 005 dish behind an 006 oring, which I've occasionally seen)
820094 DIN adapter: 2.64x12.30 ISO3601 B0100 oring your choice
957004 HP Port o-ring: 2-012 Duro 90 your choice of material
820011 LP Port o-ring: 2-011 Duro 70 your choice of material
105106 Filter: Trident AA71
845095 Filter Washer: McMaster ring shim 91192A160
105940 HP Seat: Scubagaskets 124624
820080 HP Seat shaft: 2-006 Duro 90 oring your choice of material
103429 Diaphragm (new): 35x1.5mm Scubagaskets 119159
103429 Diaphragm (old) 35x2.4mm - unknown
821026 Thrust Washer: Trident A117
863051 Filter Circlip (inner): McMaster 91580A151
861068 Yoke Circlip (outer): McMaster 91590A127 - an 11/16" inverted external ring is original, but
I can't find it in Stainless. Huyett SHI-068-SS is probably it.
820014 DIN Kit: per @Zef , a 2-014 (Thanks! )

Attachments

• Conshelf14.png
    Conshelf14.png
    356 KB · Views: 93

Back
Top Bottom