Rebuild a Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update to previous. Earlier this afternoon I spoke with AquaTech Scuba Service of Raleigh, NC and was told by their tech that of course they could still service it and took my number. an hour later I got a call back from the lady who arranges shipping, etc who said that Aqua Lung had discontinued support of all of the Conshelf and earlier second stages as of the end of 2022 and parts were no longer available. Apparently the first stage is still OK, but not the second! Upon further questioning she admitted that the Military/Professional Conshelf 14s were still available new and were the same thing, but that they no longer "could" work on them.

Meanwhile, the folks at my choice of dive operations in the Bahamas have become irregular in booking diving packages... apparently they only book room and dive packages when they get a large enough group to make it worth their while. If the rest of my trip doesn't continue to fall through, I'll be in touch with one of you kind folks who has volunteered to take the job. Regardless, thanks again to all who responded!

Froggie
If you want to dip your toes into DIY, the Conshelf metal second stages are about the simplest regs in the world to work on. It most likely doesn't need rebuilt to start with, but a good cleaning never hurts. If you want to try rebuilding it yourself, the second stage only needs one o-ring, a soft seat, and sometimes a new nylock nut (if it's worn out). The silicone exhaust valve and diaphragms last roughly forever.

Update to previous. Earlier this afternoon I spoke with AquaTech Scuba Service of Raleigh, NC and was told by their tech that of course they could still service it and took my number. an hour later I got a call back from the lady who arranges shipping, etc who said that Aqua Lung had discontinued support of all of the Conshelf and earlier second stages as of the end of 2022 and parts were no longer available. Apparently the first stage is still OK, but not the second! Upon further questioning she admitted that the Military/Professional Conshelf 14s were still available new and were the same thing, but that they no longer "could" work on them.

As mentioned previously, you need to find a new dive shop. The Conshelf 2nd stage service kit consists of a couple o-rings, a 5-40 locknut, a snap ring, a circular shaped (epdm?) poppet seat, a silicone exhaust valve, and a zip tie. All of those parts are readily available as individual items via Trident (except perhaps the locknut).

There is no reason they cannot service both your first and 2nd stage, other than the woman who arranges shipping being ignorant or the shop just not wanting to.

-Z

Not to flog a deceased equine, but their claim (her claim, that is) was that a certified Aqua Lung shop they had been directed to cease working on them and A-L would send them no more "official" parts for them, even though they are still commonly available on the market. Apparently the tech had no such information, but the lady arranges taking in the work to do! :banghead: I'm in touch with one of the respondents here and working on reaching another. It looks like I'll get past this yet!
Again, thanks to all who have responded. Apparently there are still a lot of sport divers who are unwilling to allow the Conshelf XIV to be moved over into the realm of Military and Professional only... why should those guys have all the fun? :cheers:
Froggie 🐸

Not to flog a deceased equine, but their claim (her claim, that is) was that a certified Aqua Lung shop they had been directed to cease working on them and A-L would send them no more "official" parts for them, even though they are still commonly available on the market. Apparently the tech had no such information, but the lady arranges taking in the work to do! :banghead: I'm in touch with one of the respondents here and working on reaching another. It looks like I'll get past this yet!
Again, thanks to all who have responded. Apparently there are still a lot of sport divers who are unwilling to allow the Conshelf XIV to be moved over into the realm of Military and Professional only... why should those guys have all the fun? :cheers:
Froggie 🐸

SCUBA regulators are not indemnified like ski bindings are...there is no manufacturer's or industry list that indicates when service should stop for a certain make/model. Any notification by Aqualung would be move to push for retirement of old product and sales of new product.

The fact you are shipping your regulators out for service means you have lots of options to take advantage of, though the cost of shipping can be prohibitive. You regulators are in excellent hands if the "respondent" you are refering to is rsingler.

I can confirm that some units in the US Navy still have the Conshelf as part of their equipment ensemble, but that is not so much the choice of the individual or the unit, that is due to what has passed Navy certification standards, what has logistics support established, and is allowed to be procured. SCUBA regulators fall under the NATO/Federal supply classification of "Marine Lifesaving and Diving Equipment" (4220). Navy units are not authorized to procure diving equipment outside of approved channels/approved equipment without a waiver....most units will not go through the hassle of submitting justification for a waiver and will purchase what is on the menu.

I am also not sure how prevelent the use of the Conshelf is among other profeshional divers. I worked for a prominent maritime salvage company and do not recall seeing any Conshelf equipment in our warehouse....I did see some Dräger 2nd stages that were used on bailout bottles, but no Conshelfs. I also don't recall seeing any Conshelfs used by any of the commercial dive companies we contracted with to augment our staff.....but my observations were of an obviously small segment of a much larger industry so the Conshelf may be in wide use outside the limits of my exposure.

-Z

Thanks, Zef. I’m now in touch with Rob, so I hope I’m on my way. The reason I referred to M&P use of the C14 was that the only website I readily found selling parts stated that it only would sell “official” Aqua Lung parts to those entities and forbade resale of same, suggesting they should be kept out of the hands of us unworthy sport divers. I guess it must be more about marketing than anything else since I don’t know of anyone who uses their gear harder or demands more of it than the military. I also assume that if any professionals are still using them, they too would have a high demand for performance.
Mine was bought about 25 years ago as new old stock and has spent most of its time in the basement here in VA waiting for its next call to duty. Overall it has just over 300 dives on it and up until about 15 years ago it went to the Bahamas about once a year or so and for a while was being used in a shallow water research project when I did an algae count in the CariComp project. It still looks pretty good on the outside and at 73 myself, I was hoping to use it the rest of my diving career if possible.
Froggie 🐸

Zef I've run into this problem with a Pro Diver. All the parts are the same as the Conshelf except it has all 1/2 inch ports. My LDS Aqua Lung dealer refused to service it because "they couldn't get the service kit" They wouldn't use a Conshelf kit because of liability.

Thanks, Zef. I’m now in touch with Rob, so I hope I’m on my way. The reason I referred to M&P use of the C14 was that the only website I readily found selling parts stated that it only would sell “official” Aqua Lung parts to those entities and forbade resale of same, suggesting they should be kept out of the hands of us unworthy sport divers. I guess it must be more about marketing than anything else since I don’t know of anyone who uses their gear harder or demands more of it than the military. I also assume that if any professionals are still using them, they too would have a high demand for performance.
Mine was bought about 25 years ago as new old stock and has spent most of its time in the basement here in VA waiting for its next call to duty. Overall it has just over 300 dives on it and up until about 15 years ago it went to the Bahamas about once a year or so and for a while was being used in a shallow water research project when I did an algae count in the CariComp project. It still looks pretty good on the outside and at 73 myself, I was hoping to use it the rest of my diving career if possible.
Froggie 🐸

Congrats on making it to 73 and still diving (congrats on making it to 73 and still doing anything active).

Your Conshelf will outlast most of us, particularly with surplus official service kits available on the grey market, and even if those sources dry up, there are so few parts in the first and 2nd stages for these regs that are common and fairly easily sourced items, the only thing that kills a Conshelf is the desire of a diver to use something different.

I am sure Rob will quickly get you blowing bubbles again. Your reg set is in very capable hands.

Cheers,

-Z

Zef I've run into this problem with a Pro Diver. All the parts are the same as the Conshelf except it has all 1/2 inch ports. My LDS Aqua Lung dealer refused to service it because "they couldn't get the service kit" They wouldn't use a Conshelf kit because of liability.

Sounds like a shop with an inept service department and should give you grounds to find another shop to handle your service needs.

Not saying it didn't happen to you, but I raise my bullS&%t flag on the liability issue:

If an increase in liability was an issue due to using parts other than an OEM service kit, then shops would not be buying parts like o-rings, HP seats, and other common regulator parts from Trident Diving. They have non-OEM regulator parts peppered throughout their catalog, and they only sell wholesale to shops....so if liability was an issue then shops wouldn't buy them and companies like Trident would cease to sell them.

-Z

I've been getting my Conshelf's serviced here, never been an issue with parts availability.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom