Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

never really understood the use of 16B

They gave me a reason a while back but I forget what it was now :)

Buhlmann ZH-L12 deco algorithm
I am curious too, I'd like to know more about it and why would somebody use it in place of the others.

Perhaps the 16B and L12 something used by the Euros or military there they needed to include? I know that Ratio sells to the Italian military and police and is a huge vendor to NATO navies.

Its a good looking computer it has to be said. For those asking about the service from Ratio I cannot complain at all. Very help full bunch really. Bought my Idive Easy a couple of months back, great bit of kit that does exactly what it says on the tin. Ratio have been very responsive and helpful, will definatly be using them again in the future

What's wrong with it and what are your suggestions to improve it?
I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it, I guess I'm just partial to electronic compass UIs that show more of the continuation along the circle, or a full circle (which can help visualize forward direction relative to a heading thats behind you, a bit easier than just numbers).
I wouldn't consider that a make-or-break point though, all of the relevant data is there - just familiarity based off what I'm used to, coming from looking at the compass on my phone and garmin.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it, I guess I'm just partial to electronic compass UIs that show more of the continuation along the circle, or a full circle (which can help visualize forward direction relative to a heading thats behind you, a bit easier than just numbers).

Isn't this close to what you want/mean?

1656827175858.png

1656829495074.png

I am reading the manual for this computer now and read the compass section, they added a feature I suggested to the engineering director. We had a discussion about it in the meeting and subsequent emails, it is awesome!! He actually didn't think of it until I suggested/complained about it to him. When I was talking to him about it a while back, his eyes lit up and asked me more about it. He now added it to the new computer.

I should ask for a commission :)

The bit about the "Press and hold B to increase the reactivity of the compass"

1656829323653.png

1656830604277.png

I've become very fond of some Shearwater information such as SurfGF.
I was under the impression that SurfGF was a Shearwater exclusive. I just found out it isn’t. I recently picked up a Garmin MK2S to use as a daily wear watch and backup to my Perdix. As I was messing with the display options, I found Surfacing GF as an option. I haven’t dove with it yet, but will be diving with both in a couple weeks. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

I was under the impression that SurfGF was a Shearwater exclusive. I just found out it isn’t. I recently picked up a Garmin MK2S to use as a daily wear watch and backup to my Perdix. As I was messing with the display options, I found Surfacing GF as an option. I haven’t dove with it yet, but will be diving with both in a couple weeks. Will be interesting to see how they compare.
Thanks for the information, I don't know much about Garmin.

That's quite a user manual with all the activities and functions included!

It looks like you can choose 5 of the data positions on the 3rd home screen. Some of the choices appear to be battery %, CNS O2, max ascent rate, max depth, max descent rate, N2 load, OTU, SurfGF, TTS, water temp.

This is the first I have heard of SurfGF being available on other than a Shearwater.

The iX3M 2 is a nice-looking computer. I only do no stop and light deco dives, the Pro model would be good for me, 650 euros/$678, transmitter 300 euros/$313, the pair for $991. Perdix 2 and transmitter go for $1475. Of course, I keep hoping for a Peregrine AI someday. I've become very fond of some Shearwater information such as SurfGF.
A better price comparison might be between the Perdix2 and the top of the iX3M2 line, so €950 plus €300 = €125 = $1300 vs the Perdix2 and SWIFT at $1475. Still a better deal, of course, if price be the only criterion.

I've got an ix3m (original). Dived it for a few years. I had 3 complaints which eventually drove me back to shearwater. Maybe they've addressed at least one through their revamped UI.

Problem the first: there are four buttons, and the function of the buttons change depending on the screen. That in it-self isn't a problem but most screens have an "accept" and a "back" sort of button and the UI is not consistent about which button is which. The inconsistency in the UI was the biggest problem for me. In the end, it's what drove me back to shearwater.

Plus also: The lighted transmitter, while fine for open water is not great for caves/wrecks. They provide a neoprene cover but it isn't all that great. It would have been much better to have an on/off feature for the tx light.

And C: Ther'es no buddy tx reading on the computer its-self. They want you to look at your buddy's transmitter to discern a rough estimate of gas level by the color of the transmitter LED. Better than nothing, but 10 (15?) year old scubapro and several other brands (shearwater again) do it properly, displaying the buddy gas reading directly on your DC. Heck, scubapro let you read something like 9 transmitters at a time if you so desired. The ratio solution seems very much like a copout when many of their competitors are doing this better. The lack of a true buddy tx feature is what stopped me from buying a second one for my wife.

As with shearwater, I've never had to experience customer service. The computer does just work and didn't require any special care. It already seemed pretty bullet-proof in this regard to my experience - as a computer in this price class should.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom