Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they worked with the industry-ubiquitous transmitters, I would seriously consider buying one, just to develop my own thoughts on how it compares to a Shearwater. (but it doesn't, so I won't)

I quite like the Ratio transmitter -

- It's rechargeable using the same connector as the computer
- The LED is handy - quick signal to my buddy on where my gas is at, and a beacon for night diving :)
- The LED can also be programmed to adjust the pressure thresholds, flash rate, or disable altogether

It would be great though if companies like Ratio add features to their transmitter that warrants a departure from the more widely compatible units, that they *also* support those others, giving the user the choice.

I'm curious as to why you so quickly dismiss Ratio as comparing to Shearwater, given you apparently don't have first hand experience with them

Probably for the best. I had the iX3M2 and it didn't work properly, and their customer service was awful. Switched to a Perdix 2 and it's so much better.

Mine's been great. I haven't had any issues with it, but when I've contacted customer service with a couple of questions / observations I've had nothing but prompt and positive responses.

At one point I asked about a particular setting ("Deco control ON/OFF") that wasn't described very well in the manual. The manual is definitely translated into English (I assume from Italian) so could do with improvement in some areas). My question was answered, and the wording in the manual was updated with the next release.

I'm curious as to why you so quickly dismiss Ratio as comparing to Shearwater, given you apparently don't have first hand experience with them

Because I already own a bunch of the transmitters that work with Shearwater, Oceanic, Hollis, Aqualung, etc..

They do everything I want - which is to report my cylinder pressure and last a looong time on one battery - so I have zero motivation to switch to a computer that uses a different kind of transmitter.

All 3 of my CCRs use Shearwater computers for their controllers and monitors. Switching those to Ratio is not an option. So, changing over to all Ratio stuff isn't an option.

Also, I have had issues with my Shearwaters on occasion. The Shearwater U.S. support (Dive-tronix) has literally overnighted me a NERD2 so that I could continue diving in a class I was in without missing days, and then send them my broken one to fix and return the loaner after the class. All without even asking me for a credit card. And I've read reports from other people that have also been sent a loaner Shearwater, so it's not just me.

Do you think Ratio would do that for their customers?

I bought a used NERD2 and the owner couldn't find the charger for it. I emailed Shearwater asking how I could buy a NERD2 charger. They asked for my address and one showed up in the mail less than a week later. No, "where did you buy it?" No, "when did you buy it?" No, "that will be $29.95." They just sent me a charger for a NERD2 (which is not some generic USB charger).

Would Ratio do that?

As for the transmitters themselves:

- being rechargeable is not a plus, to me. And this from someone (me) who only uses Terics (i.e. rechargeable) computers for open circuit diving. My very first dive computer was an Oceanic with the same type of transmitter I'm using now. That thing lasted something like 3 years on the original battery. I was actually purposely trying to see how long it would go before it died. But, I eventually sold the computer and the transmitter with it, so I put a new battery in for the new owner. But, when a transmitter will last 3 years (roughly 300 dives) on a single battery, why would I want to mess with changing it to be rechargeable?? Changing it once a year, whether it needs it or not is WAY better (to me) than having one more thing to put on a charger. Especially since I don't take my transmitters off their 1st stages, well, ever.

- I have zero interest in any kind of light on my transmitter. ZERO interest in something that helps other people monitor my cylinder pressure. I've never come close to running out of gas and if I do it is not very likely that I will have a buddy nearby that is looking at my transmitter. It would actually be kinda nice every now and then to have a status light on the transmitter to confirm that it is turned on and maybe even give some kind of visual cue on battery status. However, that would mean having wiring to an LED that means there is some kind of hole from "inside" to "outside". And that is an opportunity for a problem to result in the transmitter flooding. So, I would actually NOT want them to add that to the transmitters I use. I'll stick to old-fashioned troubleshooting if my transmitter seems to be not working for any reason.

I used to have button gauges on my 1st stages so that I could verify a tank is full without getting my computer out and turning it on. I have since gotten rid of the button gauges. When I put my scuba unit together, I am forced to get out my computer in order to verify that my tank is full. That also ensures that when it's time to splash I HAVE my computer and I know it and the transmitter are working (or, at least, were working a bit earlier that day). I really don't want a transmitter that flashes a light to tell me my tank is full. I don't want any reason to excuse myself from making sure I have my computer and it is working and correctly talking to my transmitter before it's actually time to splash.

I 100% agree with you that it would be great if they supported the PPS transmitters that most other computers use. And then sure, if they want to have their own with additional features, fine. But, I can't see them or any other company doing that. They would mean (presumably) paying some kind of licensing/royalty money to PPS for that compatibility. AND, it would substantially shrink the sales of their own transmitter, which, in turn, means they have to amortize their R&D over a smaller number of sales, so the price of their transmitter would have to increase. Not good business, I don't think.

I think Shearwater did it (mostly) right. Their transmitter is improved (in one way) from the standard PPS transmitter - but it will work with all the computers that use the PPS transmitter. And, the Shearwater computers will also still work with the PPS transmitters. Shearwater and all those other brands are all interchangeable in their AI support. People will still potentially buy Shearwater transmitters even if they don't have Shearwater computers. Shearwater transmitters would still have value even if Shearwater quit making computers and all their existing computers died.

I think Garmin and Ratio are both completely idiotic in choosing to go their own way on making transmitters.

Your previous comment implied that a Ratio computer does not compare to a Shearwater computer. You just listed some very reasonable justifications as to why a Shearwater is a better option for you. But that is not a justification to claim that a Ratio does not compare to a Shearwater.

They are actually a very fair comparison, with a handful of differences that ultimately come down to personal preference or circumstance.

For me, I like to be different. That's why I have an OSTC and an iX3M. I'm in Australia, so although there are local distributors for both Shearwater and Ratio (as you would guess, more for Shearwater than Ratio), I still don't get the convenience of local manufacturer support for either.

Now, to say a Suunto Zoop doesn't compare to a Shearwater would be a fair call.

Your previous comment implied that a Ratio computer does not compare to a Shearwater computer. You just listed some very reasonable justifications as to why a Shearwater is a better option for you. But that is not a justification to claim that a Ratio does not compare to a Shearwater.

They are actually a very fair comparison, with a handful of differences that ultimately come down to personal preference or circumstance.

For me, I like to be different. That's why I have an OSTC and an iX3M. I'm in Australia, so although there are local distributors for both Shearwater and Ratio (as you would guess, more for Shearwater than Ratio), I still don't get the convenience of local manufacturer support for either.

Now, to say a Suunto Zoop doesn't compare to a Shearwater would be a fair call.

In the post to which you refer, I said "If they worked with the industry-ubiquitous transmitters, I would seriously consider buying one, just to develop my own thoughts on how it compares to a Shearwater. (but it doesn't, so I won't)"

I didn't say they don't compare. I said they don't use industry-ubiquitous transmitters.

Who is the local supplier you are using in Australia? I tried chasing one down but had no luck. Would like to know for future reference/

Who is the local supplier you are using in Australia? I tried chasing one down but had no luck. Would like to know for future reference/

Only the online ones that I've seen. I actually ordered mine direct, so no first hand experience with Australian distributors/resellers

In the post to which you refer, I said "If they worked with the industry-ubiquitous transmitters, I would seriously consider buying one, just to develop my own thoughts on how it compares to a Shearwater. (but it doesn't, so I won't)"

I didn't say they don't compare. I said they don't use industry-ubiquitous transmitters.

Fair call.

Love mine but the USB adapter is complete s..... and very expensive to replace.

Does some one know any other brand that would work with Ratio dive computers?

:)

Love mine but the USB adapter is complete s..... and very expensive to replace.

Does some one know any other brand that would work with Ratio dive computers?

:)
Welcome to SB @NinjaSquirrel .
I totally agree with you and when I highlighted this to Ratio (the day I got it in my hands) they said it is mend to be flimsy like this(!). They also said that: "In the (remote) case that you have any issue with the adapter we are going to replace it, so no worries."
Back then I diidn't know that I could download the dives using BT, so I was connecting the (crap) connector after every dive. Later, thanks to the discussion above, I learnt how to download dives with BT and subsurface mobile and since then I need to connect the (crap) connector only for charging (once every few months), so it is not a big deal any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom