Purchasing first regulator- what do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebird36

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan to be diving in Key Largo, FL. in May and I am relatively new to diving and I would like to purchase my equipment. I am stuck on the regulators and not sure which one people would recommend. I know this is a large topic as there are many regulators out there. I have been doing my own research and I was looking at the Scubapro MK25/ S600 since it's around $430 and I was looking at the Atomic Z2X as it's around $500. I'm looking for a top of the line regulator because I plan to be diving around Fort Erie, Canada and Niagara River as I live near Niagara Falls. I'd rather not spend tons of money but up to around $600 is reasonable for me. I'd like a user controlled airflow and something that won't cause fatigue. Also I'd like something that will perform very well and won't break down on me.

Hey, I'm a new diver too and have been shopping/researching for months now. You can get a Mk17/G250V for $399 from Beaver (Beaver Divers in Colorado). The Mk17 might be better than the Mk25 but from what I have read the G250V is the bomb compared to S600.

Bird, my recommendation is not to buy a regulator until you are positive that you will get diving st home. How many local dives to you have now?

I know for sure I'll be diving at home I know of the number of wrecks and I have 10 dives so far and 3 are local and 5 were in Canada and the others were in the Caribbean

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

I've read that the mk25 has more ports and is more higher end than the mk17 but I'm not entirely sure

You'll find plenty of opinions to this very question if you use the "SEARCH" function on this forum. This topic is discussed ad nauseam. I believe someone asked the exact same question with the same price range & diving conditions you just listed earlier this week.

Everyone is going to suggest the brand they dive. I dive HOG. Awesome quality, awesome price, amazing customer service. Best thing to do is rent a bit & decide for yourself what you like

A couple other things that people mentioned, in no particular order:

- Make sure you can service your reg, whether it being your LDS or anywhere you travel. With this in mind, Scubapro and Aqualung was the best choices for me.
- As far as comfort, you can get a swivel but keep in mind you have more moving parts and have a higher chance of failure. But I heard Omni makes good swivels. An alternative to swivels are Miflex hoses. Also check your hose length for maximum comfort.
- Cold water diving would warrant a sealed first stage. I just like a sealed first stage as a secondary protection for contaminants going into it. For me my reg is my life support, so I'm willing to pay for some protection like that.

I've been trying to get a hold of my local dive shop and they just closed right before I called. I wasn't really specifically looking for a swivel but if it helps then all the better, I have looked at Miflex but don't know enough about them

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

I have also heard HOG as really good and a big brand for some people, but I don't think the shops around me service them because I haven't seen them in their stock.

Last edited:
Yea just talk to your LDS first and then go from there. Getting a cheap price is important but so is the service from the LDS

The Z2X sealed is $549 list. The X in Z2X denotes the 2nd stage swivel. Unsealed it's $509.

If you're going Miflex, you don't need it - there may not be a Miflex fitting compatible with the Atomic swivel either - IDK for certain.

So then the Z2 is $409 list. Atomic Aquatics - Regulator Systems

If you do decide you want the swivel, get the Atomic swivel. First of all it's designed for the regulator. Second it's bulletproof. Not dissing Omni but I believe they had a recall a few years ago. Atomic also makes a Universal swivel hose for non-Atomic models as well. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Essential Accessories

Nice thing about Atomic is they all breathe identical, the price differences come in the materials used and features like the swivels/seal etc.

There is a ScubaPro 1st stage that's better in cold water. IDK which one it is but someone will likely post about it here shortly.

Yeah I'll talk to the LDS when they open back up on monday

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

Yeah I've also been looking at the Scubapro G250v but thinking I'll go with atomic. Unless my LDS doesn't service atomic then I'll probably go with Scubapro. I've read atomic is good for always having new parts. Personally is the swivel even worth the extra $100?

Back
Top Bottom