Purchasing first regulator- what do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, the Atomic reg. is a piston reg., with a pro. & a con. to it:

1.) Service interval every 2 years, not ever year. Or a max. # of dives. Very nice.

2.) Subject to water getting through the 2'nd stage and up into parts of the reg. it should not go. Bad. This should not happen while the reg. is pressurized (on a tank & the valve turned on). I think the main issue is if you depress the purge button on the 2'nd stage while the reg. is submerged but not pressurized.

With this in mind, when using a rinse tank, I keep the 2'nd stage out of the water while rinsing the rest of the reg., and when I rinse the 2'nd stage, I've got the rest of the reg. above water. I don't want water getting through & reaching the 1'rst stage.

Hope I got all that right & didn't make it confusing. I like my Atomic B2 fine. Kinda wish the hose was a few inches longer; I got a little jaw fatigue despite the swivel.

Richard.

what ever you choose will serve you well all are good hog is the best for the buck also its good to support your local LDS and get what they have the best luck with and like to service. because of internet sales many dive stores and there compressors are shutting down also check out scuba pros sub gear line

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

enjoy that kool-aid
watch that you don't spend a dollar to save a dine

Used US Divers / Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Bombproof, simple, rugged, and can easily be had for under $200... usually with an old 3-gauge analog console at that!

Best of all, the regulator is dead simple to service.

2nd stage : 1 o-ring, 1 LP seat, 1 nut.
1st stage : Diaphragm, thrust washer, HP seat, HP o-ring, HP backup o-ring, HP filter, and HP retaining c-clip.

Add a little tribolube 71 and an IP gauge... blammo, you're good to go.

I would buy a regulator that is suitable for cold water - especially if it is going to be your only reg. You never know where you're going to dive some day. For the same reason I also preffered a sealed diaprhragm over a piston (like the SP MK25). Pay attention to Apeks. It is definitely among the best regulators, also for cold water. Right now there is an attractive offer in NESS. Another brand to take in consideration is Aqualung, for instance, Legend, that is also a "serious" regulator. Just make sure you can get them serviced reasonably easy.

Used US Divers / Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Bombproof, simple, rugged, and can easily be had for under $200... usually with an old 3-gauge analog console at that!

Best of all, the regulator is dead simple to service.
If you just want a very good regulator rich is right on
2nd stage : 1 o-ring, 1 LP seat, 1 nut.
1st stage : Diaphragm, thrust washer, HP seat, HP o-ring, HP backup o-ring, HP filter, and HP retaining c-clip.

Add a little tribolube 71 and an IP gauge... blammo, you're good to go.
If you just want a good regulator Rich is spot on

has anyone used the scuba pro mk17/ G250v in cold water? How does it perform? I like the sound of the free parts for life and I've read good things on here about the regulators. I've been checking out HOG if anyone has some of the service fees? And how the DIN to yoke adapter is for HOG.

has anyone used the scuba pro mk17/ G250v in cold water? How does it perform? I like the sound of the free parts for life and I've read good things on here about the regulators. I've been checking out HOG if anyone has some of the service fees? And how the DIN to yoke adapter is for HOG.

You do understand that you need to purchase more than just the regulators to get the "free" parts for life?

Starting January 1, 2012 one must purchase a new complete set of SCUBAPRO/SUBGEAR equipment: a SCUBAPRO regulator and SUBGEAR or SCUBAPRO BC and Computer from an Authorized Dealer to receive the PFL Program.

I think the jar of Vaseline is complementary :D

MK17 / G250v and cold water no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom