Purchasing first regulator- what do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You cant make a bad choice, there all more than all of us need, and will get you out there and having safe FUN

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I am also a newbie in the market for my first reg. Both SP MK25/ S600 and Atomic Aquatics B2/SS1 are shortlisted. I know many have said: You cant go wrong with either brand.

Might have slight problem finding an Atomic Aquatics service centre in my area. Does swivel design of AA prevent jaw fatigue? I have been renting reg (random brands) and they gave me jaw fatigue after multiple dives.

Does that make more sense to just go for SP?
Thanks in advance

The swivels do help with Jaw fatigue (at least, it did for me). They are not exclusive to the AA regulators. I recently bought an MK25/S600 (online) and had an lds put a swivel on it.

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I am also a newbie in the market for my first reg. Both SP MK25/ S600 and Atomic Aquatics B2/SS1 are shortlisted. I know many have said: You cant go wrong with either brand.

Might have slight problem finding an Atomic Aquatics service centre in my area. Does swivel design of AA prevent jaw fatigue? I have been renting reg (random brands) and they gave me jaw fatigue after multiple dives.

Does that make more sense to just go for SP?
Thanks in advance

The swivel is not that important, now that braided hoses are available.

Hi guys,

Might have slight problem finding an Atomic Aquatics service centre in my area.

There's one listed:

Wikiki Dive Centre (Authorized Service Center)
Block 462 Crawford Lane #01-45
Singapore 190462
Tel 62911290
Fax 62942146

And two ScubaPro dealers.

Including one ScubaPro Platinum dealer (exclusively sells ScubaPro/SubGear - there's only about 50 of them worldwide)

DiveShop@SG Supplies & Service - Platinum
390 Victoria St
The Golden Landmark
Singapore,
Singapore
+65 6297 9273
+65 6297 8096
enquiry@diveshop-sg.com

Richmond Supplies & Service Pte Ltd
Blk 3019, Ubi Road 1
#03-103, Singapore
Singapore,
Singapore
9am - 5pm
rmond@singnet.com.sg
Does swivel design of AA prevent jaw fatigue?
Completely? Honestly no. It does allow you to position the hose differently to entirely minimize it. It does stiffen up a little when you pressurize the reg. I use that to keep it in exactly the position I want it.

I probably shouldn't admit this but my mouth is so relaxed that I've turned my head quickly and dropped/flooded my reg more than once. I dove a B1 (no swivel) before this T2 and it caused more fatigue - much more awareness of it also.

Atomic also makes their Universal Comfort Swivel Hose for other makes. IIRC it works with most but Poseidon.

Does that make more sense to just go for the SP?
If you travel to dive, I think you'll find Scubapro has more presence in your regional area - or Aqualung. Don't get me wrong, I like my Atomic(s). But I'm also a UPS overnite delivery from their factory in Southern CA - and we have 3 local dealers. And oddly enough one of the other SP Platinum dealers is 2 mi. from my house - I travel farther to go to my Atomic dealer.

As mentioned a swivel can be added to almost any regulator. So there is no need to buy one brand over another because of a swivel. Another factor in jaw fatigue is the mouth piece and rental regs usually have the cheapest mouthpieces available. So another mouthpiece can help.

The swivel is not that important, now that braided hoses are available.

Whaaaaattt?
Swivels!! braided hoses!!:dropmouth:

Totally kidding.

For the money...I think the Mk17/G250V from Beaver Divers is pretty tough to beat.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
Appreciate all the responses and pictorial support!

Does swivel design of AA prevent jaw fatigue?
Completely? Honestly no. It does allow you to position the hose differently to entirely minimize it. It does stiffen up a little when you pressurize the reg. I use that to keep it in exactly the position I want it.

I probably shouldn't admit this but my mouth is so relaxed that I've turned my head quickly and dropped/flooded my reg more than once. I dove a B1 (no swivel) before this T2 and it caused more fatigue - much more awareness of it also.

out of your mouth? That is really relaxed!

As mentioned a swivel can be added to almost any regulator. So there is no need to buy one brand over another because of a swivel. Another factor in jaw fatigue is the mouth piece and rental regs usually have the cheapest mouthpieces available. So another mouthpiece can help.

Yes. That's part of the elimination process. The plan is to replace the mouthpiece (if fatigue persists with my own equipment!).

If you travel to dive, I think you'll find Scubapro has more presence in your regional area - or Aqualung. Don't get me wrong, I like my Atomic(s). But I'm also a UPS overnite delivery from their factory in Southern CA - and we have 3 local dealers. And oddly enough one of the other SP Platinum dealers is 2 mi. from my house - I travel farther to go to my Atomic dealer.

Diversteve, I'm leaning towards atomic too. The bi-annual service/ max dive number seems like a good deal for the long run. Considering the maintenance is part of the deal!
However, having the one and only service center can be a pain sometimes.

SP indeed is a more common choice in my regional area (oddly, that's part of the reason i m leaning towards atomic) but they say, if you can't beat them, join them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom