First Regulator - Used or Budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking for a good regulator for colder water diving. I'm in the midwest and intend to do a fair amount of local dives. I'm drawn to the previous generation of Aqualung Legend regulators because they have a great reputation and I can pick up a set for a few hundred bucks. How bad of an idea is this? I know I'd have to pay to have them serviced, but it seems like a pretty big cost savings over new. Any other used sets you'd recommend that might fit the bill?

In lieu of going for used, can you make some recommendations that are appropriate for colder conditions but won't break the bank?

Thanks!

I had that previous generation of the AL Legend for my first reg in 2016. Legend LX Supreme. Breathed great. Got rid of it when I went sidemount.

I dive Dive Rite XT1/XT2 for open circuit and for my rebreather bail outs - in cold Midwestern water. I know some WI divers who even ice dive with them.

What’s your local shop?

Diversions in Madison carries Dive Rite. Good to hear that the XT2 works well in the cold. That might be a good route.

Great shop. I’ve gotten a good bit of gear there.

AL Legend is a great choice. I have one in my arsenal, and have used it cold water dives [40ish degree water] on many occasions. You will have a real workhorse of a regulator with a Legend.

do you know the big difference from XT2 vs XT4? seems like almost the same component

1000008726.jpg

1000008727.jpg

The Xt4 is cooler looking IMO. Nothing that black spray paint can't fix for the Xt2.

Xt4 is smaller in length, and diameter. Has a black metal heat sink on the input, and a black metal knob. Seems more solid feeling. Smaller exhaust as well. Xt4 says "dive predive" for the venturi, Xt2 just has a triangle for more, less.

I think I'd like to have thicker heavier rubber mouthpieces, at least on land.

I think the Xt4 is a nicer evolution of the regulator. I'd buy either again.

From DGX: "The main differences between the two different Dive Rite second stages are size, materials and cold water performance. The XT2 and XT4 offer the same high-performance using the same new seat and same long-bite mouthpiece, but the XT4 has a slightly smaller faceplate with a significantly more compact exhaust tee. The XT4 replaces plastic with metal for things like the adjustment knob and cover exoskeleton, plus including a finned heat exchanger for better cold water performance and durability. The XT4 also adds micro adjustment of the breathing characteristics. "

So yeah basically what @MidOH said. And I agree that the XT4 definitely looks cooler. :cool:

Put another +1 in AL Legend column. It's a tank.

Back
Top Bottom