Prep for Combat Diving (NAUI vs PADI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom line is no civilian dive agency can prepare you for what you will learn in the military.

Work on your physical fitness and swim fitness. Go in with the attitude that you do not know squat even if you think you know a little.

Oh and always remember what Navy stands for.:

Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

<no new info - thus removed>

Last edited:
If PADI ran the Army.
First, you would be issued socks. Then the next week, you would be issued boots. On the third week, you might be issued pants.
After a couple of months, you'd be qualified to wear a uniform and move on to the firing range.
On the first day, you'd be issued a rifle.
On the second day, you'd be issued a strap for it.
On the third day, you'd be issued an empty magazine.
On the fourth day, you might be issued one cartridge.

You see where that is going?
PADI tries their best not to overwhelm anyone with Too Much Information in any one course. Nothing wrong with that, unless your patience and wallet wear out.

I see many youngsters getting ready for combat diver school or enlistment (seal, pj). The one thing they all concentrate on is swimming and underwater swim finning. Never saw a single one of the dozen or so go to pool with anything other than mask, fins, snorkel, swimshorts/bdu. Some when to private clinics in CA to get better, but that gets expensive. PAdi Naui are essentially the same training to the same standards. Good luck pursuing your great goal.

When I was going thru the Naval EOD school at Indianhead, MD as an army officer, there was one petty officer who had just finished BUDS. He said his main recollection of that course was not trying to drown. I doubt that I would have survived BUDs and I am a PADI instructor. So I am of the belief that any level of recreational certification would not necessarily help you.

However, your reason for physiologically testing yourself in advance is sound. Some people have difficulty equalizing.

A little known fact is that one of the first females going thru the EOD school had her eardrums blown out in the tank because she could not equalize fast enough and could not complete the course.

How to mentally prepare for US Navy SEAL training: Date my girlfriend for 1 week. :)

:rofl3: This post tells me either A. She does not come to this site or B. She has an amazing sense of humor.

I am putting my money on A.

:rofl3: This post tells me either A. She does not come to this site or B. She has an amazing sense of humor.

I am putting my money on A.

I go for "B"...

1. As previously mentioned, frogmen get a NAUI certification card. That's just because and doesn't mean NAUI will provide similar training.
2. As previously mentioned, recreational and military diving differ greatly. I would focus my training on crushing the PST tbh, rather than waste time with recreational scuba.
3. If you still want to dive and get something useful out of it, try to get some exposure to underwater navigation, specially in low visibility environments. Perhaps some rescue diver.
4. SF and Raiders dive as well. If you fail BUD/S, your chances of getting another opportunity are really slim and you will end up in a non-combat job in the Navy. In the Army or Marines, at least you can get regular infantry or try for Rangers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom