A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to my old instructor, I guess I didn't receive the memo, he told me they where trying to kill several birds with one stone, by putting in extra activities into our dives to get certified in the different specialty courses, but after the fact Padi told them that for advance open water they were aloud to do multiple tasks on one dive to qualify for AOW, but for the specialty dives each dive had to be a task for each one of the specialty qualification, for instance search and recovery there are so many task that had to be done, and even though some of the task that had to be done may of been apart of another specialty did not qualify for that specific specialty like navigation, even though you needed to know navigation skills for search and recovery that didn't qualify you for the navigation skill, you could though take multiple specialty courses but they had to have there own dives. So you was right the dives I did even though we did more dives then needed for AOW just made me a better AOW diver.
Your instructor was wrong about almost everything. PADI has never allowed multiple tasks from separate topics to be combined into one dive, even for AOW; he should have know that from his instructor training, and it is laid out quite clearly in the Instructor Manuals.
At least you have your AOW. That's good. And extra dives never hurt.

Padi told them that for advance open water they were aloud to do multiple tasks on one dive to qualify for AOW, but for the specialty dives each dive had to be a task for each one of the specialty qualificationt they had to have there own dives.
That makes sense. Cramming requirements for multiple certs in the same dive waters things down even further than what it is already. Part (most?) of the value of doing certs is the dives they require.

Back
Top Bottom