Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the PADI cert will probably be fine 95% of the time or more, when I faced the same question for myself 2 years ago I read as much as possible and saw enough evidence that some dive ops really want it to say "Solo" that I decided to go with SDI, even though almost all of my other certs are PADI.
I saw that too. I decided if they are too dense to know there's no difference between the two, I might just reconsider whether they are a reliable, knowledgeable dive vendor and go find one that is.

I saw that too. I decided if they are too dense to know there's no difference between the two, I might just reconsider whether they are a reliable, knowledgeable dive vendor and go find one that is.
I get that, but the reality is sometimes you don't have a lot of dive ops to pick from, sometimes they all have the same view, and sometimes you might not find out until right before the dive. I have a very long drive or flight to saltwater, so I just want things to go smoothly during my limited (and expensive) time to enjoy it.

There are shops that do not allow any solo/self-reliant diving from their charters.
My shop allows solo diving, so I would assume our insurance covers it. We are a PADI shop, so we certainly recognize the self-reliant card.
It matters less about what the cert is called, and more about the standards the course follows and what is taught.
It seems like a legal/semantic issue. if the lawyers are not approving it, then the insurance will be an issue for the dive shops.

It seems like a legal/semantic issue. if the lawyers are not approving it, then the insurance will be an issue for the dive shops.
I second that,.....I've read where Solo means Solo whereas Self Reliant can be interpreted to have different meanings. I didn't want to chance it, so I earned my Solo thru SDI.

I would go SDI for a card that actually says solo on it. Recently, a major operator on Bonaire has stopped supporting solo diving off their property and won't rent equipment to solo divers. When I discussed this policy with them I was told the certification, they teach the PADI Course, is not intended to replace a buddy. I have an SDI solo card and, based on my recent review of SDI course literature, it does not say their card is is not intended for solo diving but is actually intended as an adjunct to buddy diving. As Tigerpaw pointed out better not to chance it.

I would go SDI for a card that actually says solo on it. Recently, a major operator on Bonaire has stopped supporting solo diving off their property and won't rent equipment to solo divers. When I discussed this policy with them I was told the certification, they teach the PADI Course, is not intended to replace a buddy.
Dat untrue !!!

Per PADI's courser description:
"With proper training, equipment and the right attitude to accept the risks involved in independent diving, an experience [sic] diver can responsibly engage in dives without a buddy. "

(And from what I've been told by instructigators from both worlds, it's pretty much the same course materials and skills commone between the two.)

Care to share what operation? I tend to not consider folks with such outlooks when considering my options.

(And from what I've been told by instructigators from both worlds, it's pretty much the same course materials and skills commone between the two.)
^^^This^^^
They are the same course. Those that differentiate between the two haven't looked at the specs and aren't trying very hard ('cause it says solo) or have a vested interest in teaching/selling the cert. I ran into it with Explorer Ventures a couple of years ago and they admitted that they only supported the SDI cert because it's the one they teach on their LOBs. Saying otherwise long enough and loud enough makes it true...kind of like OW divers can't dive below 60 ft. :banghead:

^^^This^^^
They are the same course. Those that differentiate between the two haven't looked at the specs and aren't trying very hard ('cause it says solo) or have a vested interest in teaching/selling the cert. I ran into it with Explorer Ventures a couple of years ago and they admitted that they only supported the SDI cert because it's the one they teach on their LOBs. Saying otherwise long enough and loud enough makes it true...kind of like OW divers can't dive below 60 ft. :banghead:
I get that, in fact I think PADI may require more dives than SDI. But what pushed me to SDI was that I just wanted it to clearly say "SOLO" on the card so I wouldn't have to spend my vacation/weekend time arguing with people about what "Self Reliant" meant. Hard (but not impossible) for even the dullest to argue that "Solo" does not mean "Solo".

I have an SDI solo card and, based on my recent review of SDI course literature, it does not say their card is is not intended for solo diving but is actually intended as an adjunct to buddy diving.

Adjunct or independent

SDI Standards and Procedures
Part 3: Specialty Standards

24. Solo Diver
24.1 Introduction
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards, and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.

Adjunct or independent

SDI Standards and Procedures
Part 3: Specialty Standards

24. Solo Diver
24.1 Introduction
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards, and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.
I was trying to make the same point. Did do a good job of it unfortunately....

Back
Top Bottom