Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any insight on anyone's part? Did SDI/TDI copyright the term "solo diver" so others used "self-reliant" ?

What about companionless diver, unchaperoned diver, or even, under ones own steam diver

Dude I had a look at my drivers licence and it "did not, didn't" say this is not a drivers licence

I was trying to make the same point. Did not do, didn't do, was unable to do, failed at, doing a good job of it unfortunately....

Here's, here is, your ticket to do a fantastic job next time man

"24.1 Introduction
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards, and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities
."

Dang.

That sounds almost pretty much the same as PADI: "With proper training, equipment and the right attitude to accept the risks involved in independent diving, an experience [sic] diver can responsibly engage in dives without a buddy" except PADI eliminates the ambiguity of the word "solo" and spells out "engage in dives without a buddy."

"Solo" refers to a student pilot acting as pilot-in-command with no other persons onboard. Don't know why SDI would have anything to do with that.

Completely different

You have to read them both completely, with paragraphs paralleled, in context, without random plucking

Competent Diver could be a course with vigorous discussion about standards pedanticism splitting hairs

None of the local dive shops here allow solo diving no matter what card you flash. If you sign up for their charter without a buddy, they'll pair you up with an insta-buddy on the boat.

I believe the response when I asked was, "I don't care if your name is Jock Coo-stow, you ain't solo diving on my boat."

None of the local dive shops here allow solo diving no matter what card you flash.

So where exactly is "here" when you are talking about these local dive shops................ just so I can put that area on my not to do list!

None of the local dive shops here allow solo diving no matter what card you flash. If you sign up for their charter without a buddy, they'll pair you up with an insta-buddy on the boat.

I believe the response when I asked was, "I don't care if your name is Jock Coo-stow, you ain't solo diving on my boat."

I'll often ask knowing what the answer is going to be It's their call and I have no issue with it. I'm normally quite picky about which companies I dive with, but you don't always have a choice. I mostly dive from my own boat or shore dive, so it's not a problem.

So where exactly is "here" when you are talking about these local dive shops................ just so I can put that area on my not to do list!
Morehead City/Beaufort NC

Neither do they allow OW divers on their offshore dives. Must be AOW else you stay inshore at 65 feet to the sand.

Their boat, their rules philosophy. Like you I got my own boat and we practice the "same ocean, same day" buddy system.

Do you as local divers do an apprenticeship with your operators and when a relationshp is formed
and they can see how you dive you just swim off by yourself
unless you can't be trusted

Y
Don't you as local divers do an apprenticeship with the local operators and when a relationshp is formed
and they can see how you dive just swim off by yourself
unless you're ****
Yeah you can go on their charter and just swim off by yourself. And you won't ever go on their charter again.

They're pretty anal around here about the buddy system. They say it's due to their insurance requirement but I suspect it's probably more about the bad publicity of being the dive shop on the news that had a diver drown. I can't blame them for that. Nobody wants to be the boat who calls the Coast Guard to tell them you're bringing a dead diver back to the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom