Question On Island Dive Op or Instructor for SDI Solo (hopefully with dual PADI Self-Reliant) and TDI Intro to Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is not many "tech" instructors here and it's a specialty ($) that isn't taught much.

I talked to one TDI tech instructor and he said he doesn't know anyone here that teaches it - Ken Stromberg might but I don't know him very well.

The other option is the mainland - Contact Pro Tec Tulum, ask for Kim - he is a big instructor there.

If I recall correctly Roberta's Scuba Shack was an SDI shop. I contacted them in 2021 and they didn't have anyone teaching Solo but that may have changed so I recommend you contact them.

I also emailed Deep Exposure in 2021 an SDI shop, and at that time they didn't offer Solo.

I looked into SDI Solo on Cozumel in 2022, because I specifically wanted to card to just say "Solo" (my other certs are PADI). At the time, Cozumel SDI shops came down to Deep Exposure who wanted to charge me $694 and Roberta's Scuba Shack, whose instructor was away on vacation during my travel dates. Hope OP has more luck. I ended up doing SDI Solo in Florida.

I will try Roberta's. They don't list anything about Solo or Tech classes but are TDI/SDi and PADI

Deep Exposure quoted you $694. Wow, seems steep. Aldora lists PADI SR for $450 and says 4 dives. Of course I don't know if the Aldora price includes the "dives" portion or instruction only and If that includes the E-learning.

Aldora lists PADI SR for $450 and says 4 dives. Of course I don't know if the Aldora price includes the "dives" portion or instruction only and If that includes the E-learning.
Pretty sure their price includes dives, but any e-Learning/materials are probably a separate fee.

Posting a long-overdue update.

Robert's Scuba Shack
:

Roberta replied that she could so SDI Solo and was not currently rated for PADI SR, but she would pursue it if it could be processed in time. She does not do TDI tech courses. A+ for effort and friendliness.

Deep Exposure:

They can do SDI Solo, PADI SR, and TID ITT. I was put in touch with their tech instructor (and co-owner I believe) Don Labbruzzo. His take was that PADI SR was redundant and at a lower standard than how they teach SDI Solo.

I am scheduled with them for SDI Solo and TDI ITT. Total for EVERYTHING there (excluding SDI/TDI e-learning) is roughly $1200 for both including all boat fees, instruction, tanks, marine park fees, and ITT equipment (Doubles BP/W, regs, smb/spool, computer, etc. - I have and will probably bring all my own though.)

They seem to be nice folks, but there are multiple people involved in the getting set up with them and it sometimes seems as if not everybody was fully briefed-in between hand-offs. I will circle back to confirm details later in November.

Scheduling:

After noodling around I decided to go down 3 days ahead of the family so I could just focus on my training without guilt or distraction. Being in-town will make the logistics much easier.

Turns out I was able to to find a flight down for only 10,000 AA miles which was about a third of what it would have cost me to go down with the family.

I also snagged a Priceline deal for 3 nights in a larger Suite room at the Suites Colonial for a total of $210 (incl. Tax & Fees). So breakfast will be covered too.

Anyone down there the 14th - 16th of December, hit me up if you are looking for a dinner companion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom